Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes Talk: Vek Race Reveal

SimurghSimurgh Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
aYIebCV.jpg]
Lets Catch Up!
Discord πŸ”» YouTube πŸ”» Twitch πŸ”» Twitter πŸ”» AshesHQ
Ashes Pathfinders Podcast
Twitter πŸ”» Spotify πŸ”» iTunes πŸ”» GoogleπŸ”» Amazon πŸ”» Podbean

Ashes Talk: Vek Race Reveal

Join us for the next Ashes Talk of the Vek Race Reveal for Ashes of Creation. What do you think of the first images of the Vek race? What are some of the things you like or don't like about them? Let's discuss them. As always if you like the video drop a like and maybe think about subscribing. Support is always appreciated.

Live streaming most days on Twitch!

Ashes Pathfinders podcast live every Sunday 5PM CDT!
kQcyFmb.jpg
Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord

Comments

• Options
    AnkhAnkh Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    They do straight up look like trolls to me... which is disappointing, because I wanted to make a Vek based on their lore but don't want a scrawny tank (I'm making a tank, if that wasn't clear). Hopefully we can make Renkai that don't look like brick outhouses when wearing plate ^^;
    β€œMost persons are so absorbed in the contemplation of the outside world that they are wholly oblivious to what is passing on within themselves.” ― Nikola Tesla
  • Options
    I like them!
    They do look a bit like a nightelf and a troll went into a WOW bar...

My main question would be why all the other races seem to have a human spectrum of skincolor while the Vek seem to go for the more cartoonish? I love that they are not black (!) but I think the first Vek (on the picture in this thread) has a more humanlike skintone.

I love the nose, the ears, the tusks! the tattoos/facepaint, they eyes and all the piercings. Love it!
    1WvWhjiSog77sK0MLqAaxEkIbxqnrHnKO=w1920-h937-iv2
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited February 2022
    Ankh wrote: Β»
    They do straight up look like trolls to me... which is disappointing, because I wanted to make a Vek based on their lore but don't want a scrawny tank (I'm making a tank, if that wasn't clear). Hopefully we can make Renkai that don't look like brick outhouses when wearing plate ^^;

I personally love how the Vek look and I'm looking forward to playing one. :smile: I do agree that there are some visual similarities to WoW trolls like you said (ex. underbite, tribal paint/jewelry, purple/blue color, posture) but at the same time the Vek is a race that is still completely new and exciting. And.. it appears that there will be a wide spectrum of how players will be be able to create their Vek characters... From the more orcish in appearance... to more "trollish"... To more alien in appearance. I think it is awesome. :smile:
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    They're literally Trolls, lmao. :#
  • Options
    The female Vek concept looks very similar to the WoW female troll but I personal thought that the male concept (not the cursed image bug eyed one haha long live) looked like a perfect mix between a ren'kai and an empyrean! So far, this is my favorite race!
  • Options
    Totaly dissapointed from what I have seen on stream January, 28. What was presented as Vek has nothing to do with an orc race. It looks like half elf and half troll, but really not like an orc even not close to an shaman orc.
    In quite each game where it was possible I have always played an orc, was part of multiple orc communities, but I am scared, that the game, I was so looking for, will break this rule.
    I can't see in orcs presented during the stream: wisdom, freedom, fury, noble and power, what actualy makes an orc.
    Even for Renkai - I know it is only 1 picture shown during the stream and to early to make any conclusions, maybe there are multiple more good variations possible. But the one, that was selected for stream it shows just an strong ugly primitive human with 0 intellect in his eyes. Like the guy, that did that never seen or readen anything about an orc before.
    Please, guys, work on that. Do it like you did it with dwarfs. I was never fan of dwarfs, but look at them! They look really brilliant - you managed it really nice! Do same for orcs, please!
  • Options
    Love it, gonna play it as an alt for sure
  • Options
    KreedKreed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One can sure tell the WoW fanboi's in the crowd crying that the Vek look like trolls... Guess what WoW didn't get it right to start with. All D &D fantasy art to date doesn't have trolls that look like WoW's . WoW's trolls look more like tall Goblins if anything.

Vek do look like an Orc race , the non bulky ones.
  • Options
    MindForkMindFork Member
    edited February 2022
    Kreed wrote: Β»
    WoW's trolls look more like tall Goblins if anything.
    agree on that :) but in this comparisson Vek looks like something between efls and goblins - not much better^^ Just to avoid missunderstandings - the Vek race itself looks very interesting, but I would rather accept it as fully new race than as kind of orc race... some dark elf or goblin branch, but not an orc one...
  • Options
    I like how Vek looks but I hope Intrepid doesn't make them look like WoW's trolls too much. Hopefully Vek will have more fingers and toes than trolls.
  • Options
    -T0Mb- wrote: Β»
    I like how Vek looks but I hope Intrepid doesn't make them look like WoW's trolls too much. Hopefully Vek will have more fingers and toes than trolls.

They look like they could be pretty alien looking with the right creators touch! I have a feeling there will be a significant character creator spectrum to navigate for options! That has definitely been something Steven has stated a lot. Diversity!
    kQcyFmb.jpg
    Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord
  • Options
    GarrenGarren Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we allow options for the posture of the Vek, let's say a posture slider or posture options then we could differentiate them from the WoW trolls if you wanted to. The Vek live underground right, I think the color schemes make sense, lots of neon bioluminescent color similarities. You just have to ask yourself what makes the Vek an Orc subrace. Do they keep enough of what it means to be an Orc while being subracially diverse.
  • Options
    Garren wrote: Β»
    If we allow options for the posture of the Vek, let's say a posture slider or posture options then we could differentiate them from the WoW trolls if you wanted to. The Vek live underground right, I think the color schemes make sense, lots of neon bioluminescent color similarities. You just have to ask yourself what makes the Vek an Orc subrace. Do they keep enough of what it means to be an Orc while being subracially diverse.

I dig that!
    kQcyFmb.jpg
  • Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Make sure to also share your feedback on the feedback thread if you haven't already <3

Garren wrote: Β»
    The Vek live underground right, I think the color schemes make sense, lots of neon bioluminescent color similarities.

You're probably thinking about the Tulnar, those do life underground. The Vek are astrologers, so they're probably living on the surface.
    volunteer_moderator.gif