Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Consumable Item for Fast Transportation

One of the hardest things in order to do a dungeon run, is the travel time for all members to go to the dungeon entrance (unless you have a mage/warlock that can summon you with a spell, or a teleportation to an inn nearby the dungeon).
What if there was a summoning stone (a consumable item) that you buy, then you link it to yourself and give it to another player, and then that player has the possibility to use that stone in order to summon you.

In this way 1 player can stay in an easly reachable city, waiting for the rest of the far away members, while the others nearby, can go to the dungeon entrance, and at the end everyone will be chain summoned.
In this way the overall time will be far less and is all based on player's skills of management.

The stones can be crafted by players with a certain profession and can have limits for example: max 1-3 per inventory, or can be used inside the same node or 2 nearby nodes (more the nodes, higher the price of the stone).

If a player needs to go through many nodes, stones could not be used, and the best solution for travelling would be ships, caravans or mounts.

I can see it very useful among group of friends or guilds; for casual players is gonna be harder to use them at best.
The potentially broken part is that at least 3 players can create a personal transport system, in which they offer instant travel in exchange of money through a few nodes.

Comments

• Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Currently there are no plans on adding any form of fast travel outside of Scientific Metropolis. Adding fast travel into the game makes the over all game world feel smaller.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Two thumbs down, sorry @zitrus . Fast travel aids griefing, makes the world less immersive, allows large guilds to easier dominate the world, leaves much of the world empty of players and various other negatives.

But what matters is that AoC has already stated, as @Azryil has pointed out, there will be no fast travel.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    They dont want fast travel.
  • Options
    WhyFourWhyFour Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    We, the players don't want fast travel :)
    English is not my first language, but i try to write properly.1lemnjk9va5y.gif
  • Options
    WhyFour wrote: »
    We, the players don't want fast travel :)

I also happen to be one of those players that doesn’t want fast travel.
  • Options
    I'm all for whatever makes the game "better". We'll see how the game plays in the upcoming alpha/beta tests.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    No interest on the fast travel.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The lack of fast travel has been advertised as a feature of the game. "Summoning stones" go against the aesthetic, where you are expected to work harder in this game for rewards than you would in most modern MMORPGs. The game in some ways is expected to be innovative and to do things in a new and different way, and in other ways capture the spirit of earlier MMORPGs. (That includes harsh death penalties and the need to travel slowly to get around.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fast travel vs No fast travel change the player economy drastically. The way nodes work is very player economy driven (in terms of both resources and available time.) Node economies are also one of the primary drivers of conflict.

You could make AoC have fast travel, but you'd have to redesign the entire economic system, incentives, and balance of node power and resource generation as a result. It's like making New World flagging PvP in a world and economy originally designed around open PvP. It's doable, you can make a fun game out of it, but it's changing a fundamental factor creating hundreds of design ripples.

It's basically rebuilding the systems design from scratch. We are at a point they probably could do that, but once Alpha 2 happens, it'll be far less of an option. And given how poorly New World went I doubt Steven will ever feel right switching horses on that big a core design parameter even if it is the more correct option (which in the case of fast travel specifically, it is not clearly 'better'.)

P.S. No I don't want fast travel. I think it makes the economy a lot more stale and less of a factor in gameplay.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I will put in a caveat that I don't mind the fast travel proposed as a benefit of building up a scientific node. Limited fast travel between specific points as a result of developing a node is fine.

As @JustVine stated, travel will impact the economy. The limited sorts of fast travel being planned are accounted for in their model for the game. They have even talked about teleportation to nodes in the ZOI of a scientific metropolis. But that's not teleportation anywhere, that's to specific places.

The only kind of fast travel they announced that I feel is a mistake is the "family summon", and that's a pretty controversial subject around here...

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I feel like family summon, like corruption, is one of those things that just 'needs a year of testing in alpha'. It has impacts, but you can't really tell without a lot of data. There are a lot of ways you can tweak and balance such a system.

• Options
    I agree with all of you at the end.
    Me too want to feel the environment (which yeah it is a core feature of this mmo, that influences all other its aspects), and a living environment would be very, very cool to travel through.
    It's just that I have bad memories of infinite runs to the dungeon, but if the game systems will work in AoC (they told about it in the last video of January), everything will be smooth enough.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    There is already a plan to address the OP's concerns. It is called the family summoning system. As long as a family member of yours is already at the dungeon, they can summon you to it.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited February 2022
    What people think about items that work just like WoW's hearthstones?

For those who doesn't know, the hearthstone is an item in WoW that is given to every character which allows a player to teleport themself into their home inn from any part of the playable world. This item has a 60 minute cooldown so it can be used once per hour.

Personally I'm against fast travelling but I wouldn't mind players have one personal "hearthstone" for each character. They were useful when leaving dungeons or returning from a quest that was accomblished on another continent.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As pointed out above by multiple people, there will not be the sort of teleporting you are asking about in Ashes. It breaks all sorts of core pillars that they have built the game, economy, and risk v rewards systems around. If everyone can use their "hearthstone" to port right back home to safeguard those hard won goods, it cuts the nuts off the whole open world pvp aspect and others. As Jahlon pointed out, they gave everyone who was complaining about "I can't get together with my friends easily!" and "My life choices make it so I can only play a couple hours every now and then, but I should be able to enjoy the game and be on the same playing field as those that play more!" a bone to gnaw on with the family summoning system.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    No fast travel please.
  • Options
    ELRYNOELRYNO Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think my opinion on fast travel will ultimately be decided once we get our hands on the entire world map. If it is unfeasible for you to get from one side of the world to the other in a single 6 hour game session then I think we may have a problem on our hands.

If this is the case and there is not a multitude of objectives to complete along the way then travel becomes stale. I also think what will determine my opinion is how intuitive the mounted travel within ashes is going to ultimately be, if it's fun like GW2, No problem, if it's press Tab for 40 minutes with nothing between point A & B being important / intriguing then I'd have to argue that the travelling between A & B is not engaging enough and the argument for fast travel is valid.

At this present moment in time I think fast travel should be extremely limited to that of the scientific node or an extremely rare form of fast travel that could very well be consumable but is not merely "purchasable" id personally say it would be for a single person and would be very difficult to obtain through crafted objects from multiple skills.
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The family summoning system is also going to be abused all to hell. I doubt it'll make it past A2 testing. No teleportation is the way the system should be, if they want the world economy and competition for the rarest resources to work.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Think "fast travel" should simply be... hey you have a mount that moves faster than your legs... you have a summoner such as a warlock who can summon a friend in guild. keep it minimal and keep it simple. The issue is you start adding to many fast travel mechanics and no one is in world. I will hearth here, then I will portal here, then I will fly over this zone... lazy design in my opinion. Spend the money to create a world you want people to experience. Make them see the streams, rocks, trees, and cliffs. You spent the time and money to create it. Make them have to walk through it. If they do not like it, then they do not like your design of the game anyways, and pry should find something else to play
  • Options
    'A summoner such as a warlock who can summon a friend in a guild'

Every summoner 'No BRAD I have FISH to catch so unless you want everyone summoned on the beach or us to stop having sushi f-off and find someone else to summon the party.'

• Options
    RazThemun wrote: »
    Think "fast travel" should simply be... hey you have a mount that moves faster than your legs... you have a summoner such as a warlock who can summon a friend in guild.

That’s how it will be except for the summoner part. With very limited exceptions you’re getting around on your own feet or with a mount. No teleportation powers from classes.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited February 2022
    ELRYNO wrote: »
    I think my opinion on fast travel will ultimately be decided once we get our hands on the entire world map. If it is unfeasible for you to get from one side of the world to the other in a single 6 hour game session then I think we may have a problem on our hands.

I agree that it is entirely a matter of opinion: if it takes me 100 hours of real time to get from one end of the map to the other, all filled with engaging content, I will be supremely pleased.

If it takes 200 hours with the same level of engagement I will be even happier.

If it takes me 1 hour to cross the map with no content to speak of, I will demand fast travel.

In other words, map size does nothing for me, it's the content that counts.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

If this is the case and there is not a multitude of objectives to complete along the way then travel becomes stale.

Why are you traveling?
  • Options
    If it takes too long to get from one side of the map to the other because dangerous crap keeps killing you, this game will be awesome without fast travel.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited February 2022
    Virtually all other mmo-rpgs traded the gameplay & emotional dept by trading it for convenience.

What were the results?

Disastrous. It's one of the reasons why mmo-rpgs suck nowdays.

Just let the map be colossal and dangerous.

Yes it will be inconvenient (for some).

That's great.

• Options
    Atama wrote: »
    because dangerous crap keeps killing you

Like me
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old

Why is that a problem?

• Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Noaani wrote: »

If this is the case and there is not a multitude of objectives to complete along the way then travel becomes stale.

Why are you traveling?

Thats what I'm wondering. Either he's box ticking, or wants to 'explore' but for some reason wants to be done quickly??
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Goalid wrote: »
    The family summoning system is also going to be abused all to hell. I doubt it'll make it past A2 testing. No teleportation is the way the system should be, if they want the world economy and competition for the rarest resources to work.

That is already considered. No family summon will be possible if it circumvents any of that. From Steven:
    The summon ability in current design could not be used if the member being summoned was in combat, corrupted, or in an event (caravan battle, siege, war) and they would need to have their mats, gatherables, or certs in their warehouse/storage not in their inventory. Otherwise the summon would fail. But as I said, this will all be tested.

I will not allow a system in place that circumvents the resource or region mechanics. Nor will an implementation be allowed that could abuse my “anti-Zerg” desires. The testing for this feature will be present in A2 and I will always err on the side of caution when examining the data we collect around this mechanic.
  • Options
    Geronimo wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »
    because dangerous crap keeps killing you

Like me

Oh dear. :'(

Hhak63P.png