Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nikua Design, 10/10

RepkarRepkar Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited February 2022 in General Discussion
Amazing design, I love that Intrepid took a gnome and a dwarf and merged them into each other. I always play gnomes/dwarves with the favor going to the gnome. I am so happy to see that I can have my race be not only exactly what I want but a merger of the two races I play. Amazing job, my hat is off to you Intrepid and the design team.

Comments

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All that Intrepid can say is…

moana-youre-welcome.gif

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2022
    Though I prefer playing Elvish races, you’re comments are on the money, @Repkar.

The Nikua racial concept is unique … not a traditional gnome and not a traditional dwarf.

I’m sure a few forum-goers live or have been to Hawaii once or twice. But, there are quite a few more Pacific island groups that qualify as “Polynesia” — New Zealand, Tahiti and the Tuamotus, Samoa … each of those a very unique culture and history.

Will be nice to see the female 3D concept art when the Art Team has it ready.
  • Options
    I attribute what I found odd about the Niküa to the lack of beard. Any freshly shaven dwarf looks strange.

Aside from that, great!
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like that would have made that preview look ACTUALLY gnome like. Which now that you mentioned it, does in fact tell me what the current model makes me actually feel a bit more. I don't want to rain on this positive parade, though, so I'll keep my critique in the other thread. I'm glad someone is happy with the current iteration. I hope 'gnome dwarf' is a 'possibility' even if it's not one I want to be the 'average' for the race.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I wasn’t sure what I’d end up playing, but if they stick to the current concept, probably Nikua!
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited February 2022
    Was there ever any definite answer to the small race hitbox question?

In other words: if I stab my spear 2 feet above your Nikua head (right where your Vek head would be) do you take any damage?

The last time this was brought up as a Q&A the answer seemed to be "it might be a unified hitbox concept with exceptions that we're still figuring out"

I also normally play Elvish chars but if it is an advantage to have smaller hitboxes, I will probably shamelessly roll Nikua regardless of how they look, so I am glad they look great!
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Geronimo wrote: »
    Was there ever any definite answer to the small race hitbox question?

In other words: if I stab my spear 2 feet above your Nikua head (right where your Vek head would be) do you take any damage?

The last time this was brought up as a Q&A the answer seemed to be "it might be a unified hitbox concept with exceptions that we're still figuring out"

I also normally play Elvish chars but if it is an advantage to have smaller hitboxes, I will probably shamelessly roll Nikua regardless of how they look, so I am glad they look great!
    As you already said, they were leaning toward a unified hitbox, but they can't give a definitive answer yet because they haven't worked out how combat will work yet. They're still figuring out the whole hybrid tab-target/action thing. Until they have that nailed down, the little details like how hitboxes will work can't be definitively answered.

They've made it clear, though, that it's not going to be a case where hitting someone in a particular location will give an advantage. No headshots for a critical strike, for example. Clearly, they're not going for a real FPS style game where being extremely accurate and twitchy will give you a huge advantage. And since they've said that they will "most likely" be a unified hitbox, it's safe to assume that's how they'll handle it unless they say otherwise. So, you will probably be able to hit a Nikua by aiming above its head, just as you can also hit it with some skills simply by having it targeted through the Tab key.

I don't think there is any chance they will give characters a hitbox advantage for being small. That has been a disaster in other games like TERA Online, where you have people overwhelmingly picking the small races. They tried to compensate by giving bigger races a better reach, but that didn't even come close to compensating. I'm sure they're not going to repeat that dumb mistake.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Closing this thread as there is now an official Niküa feedback thread!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.