Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

pvp combat

Hello was wondering if you can apply some kind of counter for the pvp in ashes of creation played a lot of mmo games and there just seems to be not a single game that has a good counter skill for pvp and it all seems to consist of just block or the rng dodge say for instance you get cc'd or grabbed could you do something as a skill with a high cool down to counter that one cc or grab instead of being cc or grabbed till your dead.

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    They are going to have diminishing returns for CC, if that is what you mean? You won't be stun-locked in the game, according to Steven. We may or may not get active blocking, and there is always dodge.

If you can't win a fight and want to get away, you can try to CC the opponent and mount up. It might not work obviously, but there also a chance it does.
  • Options
    So diminishing returns on cc is good, but say for instance for pvp is not all based on just dodge, attacking, blocking or even cc'ing if you have blocking what I was asking was would you all be adding a skill that would counter a cc as in saying someone grabbed you, well then you hit a skill that would cause that grab to release you or get you out of a cc. So also for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeiXYLpP3I&t=1972s 1:01:20 time on video gmsteven was showing siege video when he had so much health he was being hit from side and then from another side by two players then got cc locked in by another 2 so ended up with total of 4 to cc lock him in one spot before he died due to 8 players total but if he had a skill he could have gotten out of one of the cc instead of diminishing returns on cc.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Ok, in Alpha 1 there was no diminishing returns implemented at all. So yeah, with enough people you could stunlock back then. :smile:

I don't remember hearing about a CC breaker, but they haven't talked super much about CC in general. It's gonna be one of those wait and see things.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’d like to see NPCs and monsters with CC too, and a counter to it would be useful for everything.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Iguanas that were higher level than you were really difficult on mage due to their knockdown ability in Alpha 1. I vaguely remember one of the mobs having slow as well but I can't quite remember atm. An iguana plus a gnasher would be a blender with the cap closed on if you fought them both at once lol.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I think a universal CC break for all characters will probably be put into the game even if that isn't the plan at the moment.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Passive Skills, like Disable Defense and Physical Evasion Bonus should help mitigate CCs.
    Might be some Active Skills from Mage or Rogue or Ranger that help break CCs.
    Could also be some Racial and/or Social Org augments that help mitigate CCs.

In Alpha One, I maxed Disable Defense. Helped significantly against CCs.
    Noticeably better than nothing.
  • Options
    Hutchy1989 wrote: »
    I think a universal CC break for all characters will probably be put into the game even if that isn't the plan at the moment.

WoW had a option like that which was the pvp trinket. Which could break any CC with a cooldown. Idk if I would want that in ashes. Id rather each class have a CC break skill vs a item that takes up a slot. Then you have to choose while building your character if that CC break is worth it to you or not, and how many skill points you want to invest.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hutchy1989 wrote: »

Eso 2.0 combat
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited February 2022
    Counter & CC-breaker are different mechanics imo though.

CC-breaker (like wow pvp trinkets, GW2 stun-break skills) are reactive. You get hit, you have a good enough reflex and hit that stunbreak button immediately, you're good.

Counter skills (like the longsword's ZR+A counter or iai-slash in Monster Hunter Rise) on the other hand are preemptive. You're familiar with combat mechanics and your opponent's pattern/skills enough that you foresee an attack coming, and you hit that counter skill button in advance. Requires a different level of skill & knowledge.

Which one do we want in Ashes though? Or both?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Which one do we want in Ashes though? Or both?
    I see no reason why a game wouldn't have both.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Hello was wondering if you can apply some kind of counter for the pvp in ashes of creation played a lot of mmo games and there just seems to be not a single game that has a good counter skill for pvp and it all seems to consist of just block or the rng dodge say for instance you get cc'd or grabbed could you do something as a skill with a high cool down to counter that one cc or grab instead of being cc or grabbed till your dead.

I would like to buy a punctuation point, please. Actually, half a dozen!
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    pyreal wrote: »

Hello, I was wondering if you can apply some kind of counter for the PvP in Ashes of Creation? I have played a lot of MMO games and there just seems to not be a single game that has a good counter skill for PvP. What counters exist seem to consist of just blocking, or dodging based on RNG. Say for instance, you get CC'd or grabbed, could you do something as a skill with a high cool down to counter that one CC or grab, instead of being CC'd or grabbed until you're dead?

How is that? :)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Atama wrote: »
    pyreal wrote: »

Hello, I was wondering if you can apply some kind of counter for the PvP in Ashes of Creation? I have played a lot of MMO games and there just seems to not be a single game that has a good counter skill for PvP. What counters exist seem to consist of just blocking, or dodging based on RNG. Say for instance, you get CC'd or grabbed, could you do something as a skill with a high cool down to counter that one CC or grab, instead of being CC'd or grabbed until you're dead?

How is that? :)

Hello to you as well, fair traveler!
    I am warmed to share the glad tidings that, as best as I can remember, all characters will have some sort of stun break and stuns will have diminishing returns. None of that stun-lock tom-foolery!