Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Customizable spell/ability visual FX

I was wondering if we will be able to customize the colors of our spell/ability fx... even if they don't allow us to pick from every color possible in the rainbow and only gave us a range of colors to choose from (to keep them somewhat thematic and not break immersion), I think it would add a really cool layer of extra personalization for our characters.

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kickstarter backers got this as one of the backer rewards so i'd expect we will see more of in the future. If it's structured anything like the what backers got, you will most likely be able to earn or buy sets of skill effects with a common theme.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kickstarter backers got this as one of the backer rewards so i'd expect we will see more of in the future. If it's structured anything like the what backers got, you will most likely be able to earn or buy sets of skill effects with a common theme.

They (well, we) get a "variant skill FX set", but there isn't any detail on what is involved there. The OP was asking specifically about customizing the colors of the effects, and I haven't seen any indication about whether you can do that or not. I think it'd be neat to have dyes that effect skills (rather than cosmetic gear), but I don't know if we will.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I think the only thing I would want to be maintained is that if a spell's colour/effect is somewhat of a hint towards what you are about to get smacked by, i.e. a slowing/freezing frost/ice spell might be blue-whiteish, then I would want this to be maintained within the bounds of a spell's intent.

To work off your suggestion, I think perhaps having ways to "master" a spell and unlock perhaps variations which aren't necessarily more flashy (they can be) but variations of the visual.

That said, given that all the archetypes will serve as variations of the base spells, personally I won't be bothered if we don't get variations at all but remember the minor glyphs in WoW being nice ways to personalise spells. Like the glyph of polymorph changing the animal that your target is transformed into.