Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvE, PvP

Hello all,

I am playing RPG´s since 2000. Everquest was my 1st game i started with and i still enjoy that game. What i like most is raiding with a guild and fight bossmobs and achive goals you can´t do in group content.

I tried ot other RPG´s, too, but i did not like most of them because of PvP, because personaly i do not like PvP at all.

AoC could be a realy nice game without PvP (that is what i think), is it planed for the future to bring up some PvE servers or a flagging system where other players can`t attack you?

If not i think i could not enjoy the game over a long period of time.

Regards
Aargonn

Comments

• Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    AoC is designed to be a PvX game, where PvP and PvE are intertwined with open world dungeons and raid encounters. Adding a flagging system or PvE only servers will take away from that design and there are no plans to add either to the game.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    Hello,

Thank you for the quick answer.

I realy hoped that there would be "thoughts" to implement PvE only or a flagging system later on for the people who want PvE only. But i can fully understand you, if the game is designed to be PvX, that there will be no way to avoid PvP ever.

I hoped there would be "thoughts about implementing" because the game looks very promising to me. But beeing disappointed from other games with PvP content, i would be disappointed sooner or later, too. :(

Regards
    Aaragonn
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Welcome :smile:

Before you give up on it completely, check out the gameplay closer to release (it's a couple of years away yet probably), and if it still looks promising even though the PvP part is a turn-off for you, perhaps try the game for one month. Who knows, maybe you enjoy this type of PvP.
  • Options
    Welcome - kick up your feet and stay a while. In addition to the points above, keep in mind that the corruption system may make the open world pvp system in Ashes feel different that other experiences you've had. There is quite of bit of information out there on how these systems will operate - though they are still years away from release, so subject to change.

Here are two good places to learn more:
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    This game, with its focus on PvX will either be a refreshing new take on a game play style or just another PvP/PvE kludge mashup. The persistent Alpha-2 will give us some real clues either way (I hope). I'm not sure if "AoC could be a realy nice game without PvP" that could ever be true given the castle sieges and competing nodes are integral to the project, not just another quest to death game.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pure PvE just can't work in this game. Competition with other players is a core part of the game. It's almost like asking for a pacifism version of the game without combat.

Here's the thing... I don't like PvP a whole heck of a lot either. Not to the point where that's all I want to do. I can't stand MOBA and Battle Royale games. They are boring to me.

But I've played games with open PvP (or semi-open PvP). Rift was one, Star Wars Galaxies was another (well, it had a flagging system but I spent much of it flagged because the PvE content was so limited). I found that the occasional PvP conflict during PvE didn't ruin my experience. It was somewhat fun actually, especially if you are in a guild and can communicate/support each other. All of my favorite gameplay memories in SWG was when I was fighting Rebel players in war, not riding around in a swoop and shooting womp rats and bandits.

Give it a try. PvX might work for you better than PvP you've experienced.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Everquest had PVP. People got killed all the time for not respecting people who were camping mobs. You can stay in town and be a blacksmith if you want, but castle sieges, guild wars, and other events are part of the game design.

0824c057d48d60d33f8559918f0422ba.jpg
  • Options
    Boanergese wrote: »
    Everquest had PVP. People got killed all the time for not respecting people who were camping mobs.

I guess if someone dueled you and you accepted. I think I only saw one or two people who flagged for PvP in the couple of years I played that game.

Granted, you could train a bunch of monsters on them for revenge but I dunno if that counts as PvP.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Granted, you could train a bunch of monsters on them for revenge but I dunno if that counts as PvP.

But, you neeeever did that, riiight...?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I thought Everquest had pvp back in 2000. I thought the main reason you chose not to kill someone was they could bring friends back to where you were questing and then kill you. It's been almost 20 years since I played it.

steam-train.gif
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »

But, you neeeever did that, riiight...?!

Not on purpose, but I trained monsters on people out of stupidity in dungeons, yes.

Just lay down and die already, don't ruin it for everyone else you nincompoop! :p

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    pvp is gonna be a big thing in this game, especially with the experiences steven has in other mmo's so no I don't expect any server for purely pve players.
    3hmamy1ekfqy.gif
  • Options
    Reading back through the thread, I notice that nobody has mentioned this yet, but there will be no special servers in the game. Every server will have the same rules and same systems. There are no free-for-all PvP servers (servers without corruption), no PvE servers, no specially-designated RP servers. They will all be identical.

The only difference between the servers is ping time to different parts of the world, because they are trying to accommodate people who live in different regions by providing them with servers close to them.

Hhak63P.png