Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Risk vs Reward in numbers

[disclaimer: English is not my main lenguage]

I wish for the devs to do a discussion or explain in detail/numbers their risk vs reward view.
for example: 1) if the reward = risk and have 50% of ocurrance, at infinite iterations the result will be the same as the beginning with no progress at all resulting in frustration and 2)if the reward >>> risk = 0 with 100% ocurrance then that becomes the meta and produces inflation of the enjoyment of the player.

My purpose of this is to polish the decition making for devs and the undesrtanding of the perspective in enjoyment and fulfillment of the player. graphs would be awesome too

I wanted to ask for this since that one video when Steven show us the dashing forward while atacking animation that got changed. It is true that it could feel real, inmersive and powerfull but it felt like a self-stun. this case has a higher risk than other abilities and i was wondering... how much... and how much is the margin if it could be quantified and for other points too

Comments

• Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    So to clarify, you are asking for more data (numbers) on what the ratio between Risk and Reward will be so that you can measure how fun the game will be?

And that you find content that has a higher Risk to Reward ratio to be more enjoyable?

So for example, you would like Intrepid to come out and say something like "The Risk Vs Reward ratio will be 7 Risk for every 5 Reward" and with that information you will then quantify how much enjoyment will be had?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Risk vs Reward is more of a design philosophy than something they have calculated.

They have removed the self-stun from basic attacks due to player feedback. It was not added to create risk.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    QuellJosu wrote: »
    [disclaimer: English is not my main lenguage]
    I wanted to ask for this since that one video when Steven show us the dashing forward while atacking animation that got changed. It is true that it could feel real, inmersive and powerfull but it felt like a self-stun. this case has a higher risk than other abilities and i was wondering... how much... and how much is the margin if it could be quantified and for other points too

They didn't give us any clear numbers yet, since it was only Alpha-1.

We did some calculations, but the abilities which were available in Alpha-1 might be changed.

When Alpha-2 is available, it is likely that someone who enjoys calculating these things will quantify what is available to test.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It has nothing to do with the numbers.
    "Risk v reward" = challenging open world mmo
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Welcome @QuellJosu , and an interesting topic.

I am speculating here, as @Azherae said, we do not have any numbers yet. But...

Allow me to assume first that the overall odds will be greater than 50%. Why? Because they want the game to be fun, rewarding and for players to keep playing. Therefore, over time, the players should come out ahead. Second, risks and rewards will vary. Sometimes the rewards may not be very large, so the odds of failure will be low. Other times the rewards may be huge and so will the risks. I will use crafting as an example.

While iron ore and wood may make low grade iron reliably, making mid-grade iron may not only take low grade iron and charcoal, but one time in 50 you may get nothing. High grade iron may take lots of charcoal and mid-grade iron and one time in 20 you get nothing...the more valuable item not only costs more but comes with higher risk of failure.

Enchanting is another example. Adding a +1, +2 or +3 attack to a sword could be like the low grade iron, a sure thing. Adding a +4, +5, or a +6 might fail once in 20, adding a +7 once in 10, adding a +8 or +9 once in five, and a +10 or above half the time leads to failure. Maybe we would get some mats from a failure, maybe not.

So, all of this is speculation on my part. What ends up in the game will certainly be different. But I am pretty confident that the greater the reward you want, the more risks you will have to take. You can get that +3 sword safely, a +6 sword won't be all that rare, but if you see someone with a +15 sword then odds are they put a LOT of time and effort to get that baby.

PS Odds of getting a +6 sword on your first try would be 100%x100%x100%x.95x.95x.95 = 85.74%. To get to the +15 with a new weapon it is not quite 8/10 of 1%, given the odds I assumed.
  • Options
    Thanks Tautau for the response!
    That's what I wanted, an explanation for the numbers... not the numbers itself as some people may think.
    I think it's obvious the reward must be worth the risk to people to do so but my point was not the categoric number of it, but to compare it with others and get a better overall knowledge of what people perceive as "good".

Maybe putting numbers is not necessary or odd, but if no other people is giving better ideas for us to measure/compare in more detail SUBJECTIVE themes then please help.
    For example: a rich person in game may look at the gold for a galeon low risk since he is wealthy, but for a new player that could cost his entire goldsack.

Anyway, since most people look at this post like something worthless I will put myslef aside. Thanks for reading