Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Questions that are not covered by the FAQ

AshantaraAshantara Member
edited February 2022 in Support & FAQ
Hello, fellow travelers,

AoC newbie here, and I am starting off with quite a few questions whose answers I could not find in the FAQ:

General:
- Is there a way to access "AoC: Apocalypse" to play the prequel? ("Apocalypse" is the prequel story, right?)
- How many character slots will be available to the player from the start?
- Can you dodge in combat as a mechanic to evade an attack?
- How often per day will node sieges occur?
- Will players' houses always get destroyed during sieges? Are they safe from attacks the rest of the time?
- Do players lose any of their gear upon being killed?
- Can gear become damaged beyond repair, thus devaluated/destroyed?
- How does the loot system work? Can other players steal away from you or is it equally shared between participants?
- Can someone explain the "Loot Choice: Need or Greed" to me? Does "roll" mean it will reroll for a different loot option for you? And "pass" that you accept the current item?

Also, out of curiousity:
- Are there facial animations during dialogue?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited February 2022
    Hello there. :)

I would suggest you peruse the Ashes of Creation Wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    Many of the answers you are looking for can be found there and are easily searchable.

In the meantime, welcome to the AoC forums. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2022
    No. Apocalpyse is no longer playable. It was a Battle Royale testing mode that wasn't very popular so it was shut down.

We don't know. All they've said is we can have a "comfortable amount" of character slots.

There was a roll mechanic in alpha 1, but they're still deciding whether stuff like evading/active blocking will be in the final game.

Not possible to answer. Each node of Village stage and above can be sieged. If the node is unsuccessfully sieged then the node will be locked from being sieged for a set period of time. This time period increases depending on the level of the node. For example, a Metropolis node is only able to be sieged once every 50 days atm.

Instanced apartments and static in-node housing will 100% be destroyed. Freeholds will be attackable by other players for 2 hours after a node is successfully sieged. If the owner can protect their Freehold for 2 hours then they can take on a quest so the Freehold can be kept as long as the Freehold exists within the ZOI of a Village or higher node. Yes they are safe the rest of the time.

The only time players can lose gear is if they are corrupted, and even then it isn't a certain thing that you'll lose gear. However, if you are a non-combatant or combatant you can and will lose a percentage of your gatherables (e.g. iron ore). This applies to both PvP deaths and PvE deaths.

No, gear cannot be permanently destroyed, you can always repair it.

That depends on what looting system is chosen. If the group has Master Loot enabled for example then the designated Master Looter could ninja loot the items that drop.

No. Need or Greed refers to a way in which loot is distributed among the party. If you click "Need", then you have priority over the loot compared to someone that "Greeds". There is no "rerolling of gear" where you can try for a new drop if you don't like the current drop.

We don't know, but the game isn't planned to have extensive voice acting.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    First of, thanks for the fast responses! :smiley:

Wow, some of the mechanics sound complicated if you have not seen them in action yourself yet.

I didn't quite get these two, though:

> However, if you are a non-combatant or combatant you can and will lose a percentage of your gatherables

What do you mean by "If you are a non-combatant"? How can you lose anything if you are not involved in a fight?

I also do not understand the phrases "Need before Greed" and "rolling Need." Could you explain this quickly for a non-native speaker? :smile:

> That depends on what looting system is chosen. If the group has Master Loot enabled for
    > example then the designated Master Looter could ninja loot the items that drop.

I just checked the following Wiki entry: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Looting

Why on Earth would you allow any one person to make the call for the whole party on who gets what? :o The other loot options sound terrible as well. :/

I get that AoC is trying to be as close to a traditional pen-and-paper RPG as any computer game can be, but the developers should take into account the fact that P&P is played in a set group of real-life friends - a setting a computer game will never be able to provide.

Therefore, it would make a lot more sense to distribute loot by a more guided system that leaves players a much smaller scale of influence. Right now, the options sound like more dominant players will always get what they want and the rest will have to accept the leftovers.

> We don't know, but the game isn't planned to have extensive voice acting.

Aww, that's a real shame. :neutral: It will also have no story quests, from what I understand?
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    What do you mean by "If you are a non-combatant"? How can you lose anything if you are not involved in a fight?

If you stand there and do not fight back, you are a non-combatant. You are a victim of being killed.

I also do not understand the phrases "Need before Greed" and "rolling Need." Could you explain this quickly for a non-native speaker?

Need before greed. People who NEED (roll option) the item will roll against each other. If nobody NEEDS it then the people who GREED the item will roll against each other.

Why on Earth would you allow any one person to make the call for the whole party on who gets what? :o The other loot options sound terrible as well.

For the loot I explain it here: https://ashes101.com/pve#loot

Master Looter: Party leader decides who gets loot
    Round Robin: Each piece of loot that comes up is awarded to the next person in order
    Need Before Greed: Not sure how this will work in a game where anyone can use any gear.
    Bidding System: Players bid gold on the item. Highest bid wins. Gold is split amount rest of party.

It will also have no story quests, from what I understand?

There are story quests yes
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Ashantara wrote: »
    Why on Earth would you allow any one person to make the call for the whole party on who gets what? :o The other loot options sound terrible as well. :/

AoC will have a variety of loot options for parties to choose from. If you are against a guild and/or party using Master Loot (or any other loot system) you can find another guild/group that is using the system that you desire.

It is better to give the players more than to limit their options.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022

I get that AoC is trying to be as close to a traditional pen-and-paper RPG as any computer game can be, but the developers should take into account the fact that P&P is played in a set group of real-life friends - a setting a computer game will never be able to provide.

Therefore, it would make a lot more sense to distribute loot by a more guided system that leaves players a much smaller scale of influence. Right now, the options sound like more dominant players will always get what they want and the rest will have to accept the leftovers.
    When it comes to structured guild raid content, in my experience it's better to pass loot out in a way that has the highest benefit to the group as a whole, whether that loot is equipment or crafting materials. What an individual player views as fair isn't necessarily what's best for the group. Prioritizing players that are most likely to show up to and perform optimally leads to more successful raid nights. Granted with the much of the dungeon and raid encounters being open world it's not quite as straight forward, but there should still be some way to prioritize loot.

Any system where the players retain some level of control is better than a system like WoW's personal loot, where loot is given out at random to the group resulting in some players getting loot they have no use for may be unable to trade it.

k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jahlon wrote: »
    If you stand there and do not fight back, you are a non-combatant. You are a victim of being killed.
    Thanks, I understood that part very well. :wink: What I do not understand is the fact that you can be killed by another player even if you do not flag for open world PvP (which, I believe, is an option, no?).
    Need before greed. People who NEED (roll option) the item will roll against each other. If nobody NEEDS it then the people who GREED the item will roll against each other.
    Sorry, I have never seen "greed" being used a verb before, hence did not understand what "to greed (an item)" means: that you simply have a financial interest in acquiring it (for the purpose of reselling it) as opposed to actually needing the item for yourself?
    Round Robin: Each piece of loot that comes up is awarded to the next person in order
    How does the game determine who "the next person in order" is? RNG?

P.S. Thank you all for the many responses. :smiley:
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Thanks, I understood that part very well. :wink: What I do not understand is the fact that you can be killed by another player even if you do not flag for open world PvP (which, I believe, is an option, no?).
    This is no PvP flagging system in Ashes of Creation, you are always eligible for PvP in the open world
    Sorry, I have never seen "greed" being used a verb before, hence did not understand what "to greed (an item)" means: that you simply have a financial interest in acquiring it (for the purpose of reselling it) as opposed to actually needing the item for yourself?
    It refers to the roll option, typically in need before greed systems you're offered with a dialog that allows you to select "Need", "Greed", or "Pass" as roll options
    How does the game determine who "the next person in order" is? RNG?
    The order may be initially randomized or based on the order in which the group was formed. However once the order is determined it will just cycle through that list in order.

k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    It seems like all of your questions have been answered so I'm going ahead and closing this thread, but please feel free to reach out again if you have any more questions!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.