Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

GW2 Mount System

edited February 2022 in General Discussion
Curious to hear what people think about possibly implement something similar to GW2 to mounts in AoC.

GW2 Mounts
  • Raptor: Able to leap across large distances.
  • Springer: Able to jump high.
  • Skimmer: Able to travel across water or quicksand.
  • Jackal: Can blink foward and travel through sand portals.
  • Griffon: Able to mount mid-air and glide through the air.
  • Roller Beetle: Speed + Can run over enemies.
  • Skyscale: Can fly in any direction.

Would the community be open for certain mount "families" to each have their own unique-ness to them? Maybe mount specific skills as well?
m6jque7ofxxf.gif

Comments

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We have this sort of thing already with mount tiers. Some mounts can glide, the rarest can fly. It would be interesting if they expanded that into other specific abilities.

Water travel can also be done by aquatic mounts, but I believe those can’t go on land.

Hhak63P.png
  • From what we've heard so far, they're planning on having mounts being able to do different things.

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mount_abilities
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I will echo what has been said but there definitely will be some abilities. To what degree we will have various options between traversal types I don't think we know entirely but I do hope they adopt something similar! I don't think we will get an exact mirror of GW2's system however.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    There will be some RNG of abilities due to the breeding component that will be going on, however I don't think Ashes should start allowing different types of mounts to have abilities based on their "species" since people will be applying skins over their base mounts to change them into various animals like raptors, otters, bears and so forth.

What would essentially be happening is you would be buying a skin (or have bought one through a pack) that would enable you to then have a skill you didn't have before hand on your mount.

For example, you turn your T2 horse mount into a Griffon mount with a skin you bought on the item shop. Now your ground-only mount has gliding abilities, solely because you paid real money for it. I won't come out and say "this is Pay To Win", but for many people, that's how they will see it.

I think all abilities should be applied in game when the mount is bread or bought and the way it looks should remain cosmetic only.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think that the 'skins' will have any impact on skills. So, if you have a horse that runs, if you put a Griffon skin on it you would simply have a Griffon which runs.
  • After having returned to GW2 I have mixed emotions about this. First being is when I left there were no mounts, gliders etc. It was easy to group up, push as a group, no one got left behind. Now so many want to hop on a mount and fly away. Newer players or returning players have a hard time keeping up.

I do like on the gliders how there is a stamina that drains... so that you can only use it for short periods of time.... Yes you can use it to overcome some obstacles and flee. But you are still forced to be on the ground and that results in more engagement with others and things in world. GW2 does not feel the same of them adding mounts and flying mounts.

I think there should only be ground mounts. And that they should have limited abilities like a turtle moving faster in water than on land. Gliders should also have a long cool down so players have to be more selective on when to use.

So yeah. Not a fan of how GW2 changed things up over time adding the mounts or flying.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Flying mounts will be restricted to the handful of monarchs on each server.

Hhak63P.png
  • basvisionbasvision Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I think one thing that GW2 mounts are one of the best examples is their animations. Their movement looks amazing. they lean into one side when you turn, they are not just an animation running on a fixed base (well, they are, but they dont look like that), So having mounts lean and move more realistic would be great