Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Hidden skill/crafting augments

I was wondering if you are like me ad think it would e cool to have certain hidden skills augment you can either drop via boss and or unlock via differents use. (Ex: Using a certain skills 1000 times, could even work with crafting system)

Like I feel it would be cool to have a certain grinding/ mastery system. Like In real life if you work on something for a long time you become better at it. So it would be similar for Skills and crafting.
It would also serve as a way to sell your services as to why this guy products are better than the other one who sell the same.

Like for crafting:
-could incrase the quality of the said good. (You crafted this armor so many time his quality now rare instead of commun)
-food could give a cerain timed buff ater eating, instead of just giving hp/mana back. (Quality incrase, restore hp faster)

These kind of thing. I think it would be good for player you like to find hidden stuck and who like crafting.

Comments

• NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would love to see augments from hidden quests and exploration and such for sure.

I am not fond of the crafting as a source though. It just makes people pick up a skill only for that, and they've also already said that artisan classes won't affect the adventuring classes.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Imagine if they intentionally don't talk or mention these things because they're secrets.

giphy.gif

or, you know...
    I guess they would flag that kinda stuff if it was intended.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    Imagine if they intentionally don't talk or mention these things because they're secrets.

giphy.gif

or, you know...
    I guess they would flag that kinda stuff if it was intended.

Not necessarily. Developers are harsh/sneaky/easily amused.

Using FFXI as usual, there is an entire 'skill' based on letting your mount dig in the ground for items, it almost always just gives you junk.

Turns out that this skill was secretly able to skill up for years, and once leveled... it didn't give junk. But then it still could, because the pool of stuff you could get was 'per zone'. So if a higher level digger was around and you didn't see them... you still got junk, or worse, got nothing.

They eventually (and I mean like 8 years in?) verified that the skill itself existed, but I think that to this day, there is no indicator of what any given player's Digging skill is, in the way that other numbers are.

Since nearly everything in that game is based on your proficiency (e.g. if you use a Dagger for 30 levels you get a skill rating of like 100, as compared to your skill rating of 0 in Sword even if you can equip one, assuming you never did so), you can guess the outcome. People who liked digging on mounts were good at it and kept the secrets for years, people who didn't, just never got into it and built up their different niches and skills elsewhere.

The youth of the internet.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »

The youth of the internet.

:D:D
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • I just think it would be cool to reward all player in a ways for doing stuff not just PvP or raider player.

Like people who love to craft. but there is no reward to make up for the fact you craft everyday and the guy who just crafted the same thing as you once. I find it kinda sad.

Same for spells. I think it would be cool do have a difference in skills so there is no real ''Meta'' that everyone need to follow
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ptitoine wrote: »
    I just think it would be cool to reward all player in a ways for doing stuff not just PvP or raider player.

Like people who love to craft. but there is no reward to make up for the fact you craft everyday and the guy who just crafted the same thing as you once. I find it kinda sad.

Same for spells. I think it would be cool do have a difference in skills so there is no real ''Meta'' that everyone need to follow

I don't think this would get around the meta. Nothing I've ever designed or participated in, that used this system, actually avoided having a meta, by the definition of what a meta is. Balance is almost always imperfect, and some people will pull their hair out for 0.5% advantage.

Even if you made things work so that you could always get slightly better at a spell or attack by doing it more often, the next thing that would follow would almost always be afk-bot methods and 'no-lifers' as they are derogatorily called, figuring out some way to grind it.

Adding RNG is worse.

We're pretty well off as it is, being able to use specific skills, augments, etc, to focus our abilities for specialization. For crafting... I don't know, I'll just end up suggesting FFXI stuff yet again (the tl;dr of that game was 'tuning' a combination of two different craft skills to get a bonus to making one or two extremely specific items).

I think Intrepid intends to go with 'schematics' which might be able to perform a similar function if you can't simply farm them? That sounds like more work for designers though, since it involves NPCs or Quests instead of just the itemization work of a crafting tree.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.