Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Skill System

Hello everyone

When i look at some pre-alpha videos i noticed the skill system is not rly finished or maybe it is temporarily one as i read or heard somewhere that the game UI is not the real one too , so i was wondering what type of skill system there will be for this game like will it be very flashy skills like some games goes for that path or maybe it will be less flashy and more like L2 based, and i was wondering will this game will be based more on solo gameplay or will it be more group based where ppl will need to form parties and lvl as a constant group. And will there be the holy trinity or no healer classes??

Comments

• It's pre-alpha, nothing is finished, it's just an early impression.
    Talking about impressions, have you seen this one? I would say it has some rather flashy things there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTWhIF5cqI

The skillsystem will be talked about more when the indepth archetype blogs come out, they keep that more to themselves right now.

It was stated that the game will provide content for everyone, from large scale to, small guilds and groups to the lone wolfs, but it is a PvP focused game with an emphazis on sieges in several forms, so expect rather big play.
  • [quote quote=5185]Hello everyone
    ...will there be the holy trinity or no healer classes??
    [/quote]

There will be, its called "cleric" in the current phase of development. Also, you will be able to choose a primary and a secondary class. I can assume, that f.e. if you pick tank + cleric = paladin. But if you pick cleric + cleric (not sure, if you can, but lets assume) = arch priest?

So, a lot of things are not carved into stone yet.

About the UI: in that part of the footage you can see the pre-alpha phase the most. Usually the UI is the most easily changeable part of a game during / after the development, so they need only a part of the screen currently, from where they can test the spells, I assume. I guess they will hire a few UX and UI guys after the success of the Kickstarter.
  • [quote quote=5193]it is a PvP focused game with an emphazis on sieges in several forms, so expect rather big play.
    [/quote]
    Grisu, I'm curious, what info have you found to indicate that this will be a PvP focused game? I only ask because I am not terribly keen on PvP. From what I have seen thus far this game seems to be more of a balance between PvP and PvE. Surely with the node and caravan systems there will be much in the way of open world PvP, which is great and all, but from what little I've seen and read it will have its fair share of PvE content as well. Again, I'm just wondering what has indicated that this game will be primarily focused on PvP to you.
  • I think it will be a good mix of PvE vs PvP but the thing is the devs are going at this "node" thing heavy. So that means that say Red team wants to build up Red Fort big and make a huge town out of it. Well Blue team wants to make Blue fort the dominate town in the game. There will be LOTS of caravan raiding and other politics (spies, guerrilla warfare, etc) going into building up and tearing down nodes. So while I think that this will be a very heavily PvE focused game, at its deep down core, its more a PvP one. Similar maybe to Eve:Online. LOTS to do there PvE-wise but its a player driven economy, player build worlds/starbases/etc. at its core as well.
  • i think this quote here will help you guys out,

"Pvp is the catalyst we use for change to occur in the world. While I appreciate the desire of some players not wanting to participate in that mechanic, I'd be lying if I told you that you could COMPLETELY avoid it. Is it possible to play and avoid PvP? Absolutely, you can focus on PvE, crafting, gathering, city building, farming, animal husbandry, home building and raiding. I want Ashes to be an astounding environment for our players to explore and interact with. To challenge you. " - Steven

so there will be lots of PvP (yay) , but there will also be lots to do as a PvE only player
  • Discord is very rich in early bits and pieces of information before it hits the wide public with in depth looks in form of blogs and so on. I recommend checking it out, or hit me up there, I'll glady point you to some information regarding that.
    As Shunex already quoted, there will be a rich world of PvE activities. You might have read the flagging blog post, and will know that there is a good amount of thought put into the game to keep PvP in the realm of PvP, but to put it bluntly the world exists for the purpose of PvP.

Grisu aka. Zekece
  • Also, most of everyone has already answered most of your questions, but (because I don't like reading) I didn't see any answers about the group or solo gameplay. Steven has said that Interpid Studios is aiming for more of a MMO experience, since mmo's these days are lacking that. He will be trying to make the game more group based, but don't worry, the game can still be played soloing (if you want to solo) :D
  • Forum ate my post, I hope we get that update soon.

So if you read it I only wanted to make an addition, I wrote the flagging was covered in a blogpost, but that was a late night mistake.
    As the rest it seems to have come from discord information Steven has put out.
    So just a short recap, Shunex pretty much covered it, but I suggest you check out discord, hit me up there and I'll point you to some information there, about your questions.

Grisu aka. Zekece
  • Would love to see the clerics skills i wouldn't mind being a cleric/mage :)
  • Thinking of a Tank primary class but have no clue whatsoever for my secondary :/
  • [quote quote=7643]Thinking of a Tank primary class but have no clue whatsoever for my secondary :/

[/quote]

Just wait.. You need to see skills then you can choose your preferences :)