Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

personal bounty system separate from regular corruption bounties

So what I can tell with info we have so far is you can set bounties or they are auto created for people who are Red/ highly corrupted, and when they die they can drop items even including personally worn gear. Not sure exactly how this works yet or if the info is even completely known. I was wondering what people thought about adding a addional system where anyone could offer gold/items to target a specific person in the world. So say player A kills player B for w.e reason but player B doesn't have high enough corruption to start bounty system. Player A could link personal bounty onto Global chat to kill player B. Player C happens to run into player B that day, kills him and collects his head/ear and delivers it to Player A. player A mounts head on his wall at home/tavern. I always kind of liked Diablo 2s ear system but it never really went anywhere. Maby no system is needed and players just drop their head upon a pvp death almost like a trophy. Could have a time stamp on description of item.

Comments

• I really dislike this idea. I don't want someone hunting me down or anyone really just because I refuse to party with them, or sell them something they are after, or wear purple on a Tuesday....you get the point. I think if you earn your way into having a bounty because you went around hacking and slashing at others randomly then you deserve it and it's a good system to keep that kind of activity in check, but I want it within those tight parameters.
  • Anarchy23 wrote: »
    I was wondering what people thought about adding a addional system where anyone could offer gold/items to target a specific person in the world. So say player A kills player B for w.e reason but player B doesn't have high enough corruption to start bounty system. Player A could link personal bounty onto Global chat to kill player B. Player C happens to run into player B that day, kills him and collects his head/ear and delivers it to Player A.

I think it's important to start with a basic understanding of the corruption system and the bounty system.

If Player A attacks Player B, and Player B doesn't fight back, and Player A kills Player B then Player A gains corruption. If Player B fights back, and either player is killed - no one gains corruption.

The bounty system gives designated player bounty hunters a set of tools to hunt down corrupted players. I wouldn't want that for just anyone to hunt down anyone.

Here are some places to read more about corruption:
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah I am not a fan of player bounties as proposed by OP. Sorry.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Just so you are clear, even 1 death is enough to give you corruption.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • No worries and its cool if you don't like my idea. and the corruption system doesn't really matter for what I was proposing. Of course the person killing player b would get corruption. It would still be tied into the overall corruption system.. I was also under the impression being a bounty hunter isn't a profession, anyone can do it at anytime bounties are available. This is a pvx game that Imo centers highly around pvp so whether you like it or not you will be hunted by players/groups for w.e reason. You will be losing items/homes at nodes/homestead will be invaded. If you go into this thinking your only going to pve you will be disappointed. So whether those "tight parameters" exist or not its still going to happen. No player is going to offer 100gold to kill you because you wore purple. I just like having more options.
  • Anarchy23 wrote: »
    If you go into this thinking your only going to pve you will be disappointed.

Correct.
    Anarchy23 wrote: »
    This is a pvx game that Imo centers highly around pvp so whether you like it or not you will be hunted by players/groups for w.e reason.

Maybe.

The corruption system starts incurring some pretty onerous penalties for excessive griefing. You may be "hunted" for wearing purple, yes ... but getting attacked over and over again for wearing purple is unlikely.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Taverns will have bulletin boards. If you want someone PKed, just post in the Tavern 'Kill TauTau and get 1000 gold ~ Anarchy23' and you have what you want.

Of course, when Taleof2Cities comes to you for the gold, how will you know that he really killed TauTau? He could be my buddy who is splitting the gold with me, then when you leave the tavern the two of us will PK you!
  • Anarchy23Anarchy23 Member
    edited February 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    Taverns will have bulletin boards. If you want someone PKed, just post in the Tavern 'Kill TauTau and get 1000 gold ~ Anarchy23' and you have what you want.

Of course, when Taleof2Cities comes to you for the gold, how will you know that he really killed TauTau? He could be my buddy who is splitting the gold with me, then when you leave the tavern the two of us will PK you!

yea I agree with you and if that's a option that sounds awesome for many reasons other then this one topic. That's also why I suggested some type of player trophy when a player is killed by a player with a time stamp.

[
    If you go into this thinking your only going to pve you will be disappointed.

Correct.
    This is a pvx game that Imo centers highly around pvp so whether you like it or not you will be hunted by players/groups for w.e reason.

Maybe.

The corruption system starts incurring some pretty onerous penalties for excessive griefing. You may be "hunted" for wearing purple, yes ... but getting attacked over and over again for wearing purple is unlikely.

I agree, you most likely wont be attacked over and over again because of corruption. Although even without being corrupted you do drop items like gathering supplies and pelts(I think that's what Steven called them which you basically sell or put on a caravan to sell to a different location for extra gold) so pking could be worth it. I guess it depends on how severe the corruption system is but I've never personally played a game with one.

edit: Messed up a quote
    The corruption system is very similar to the one that was in L2 (Lineage 2), which I played extensively. The killing of players, both new and old, could be horrible and doubtlessly cost the game much population.

When a player became red through corruption, most of the players on the server would kill them on sight. A great many guilds would require a screenshot of the login screen as a part of the membership application so they could spot red alts or known alt PKers and both reject the applicant's membership and put them on a KOS list.

Like many others, I had an alt which was a dedicated red killer. I would log it out near where I was working with lower level alts and if a red came near, I could switch toons and take out the red. The common saying was that reds had the best drops in the game, too. Very profitable to kill them. They may be a lot of reds the first month after launch of AoC, but things will sort out and going red will come with a high cost.
  • thanks for insight on that, I may have to go check the lineage 2 system out to get a idea of the direction Aoc is going. I don't mind the idea on corruption but I'm hoping its not too restrictive while at the same time stopping the killing of low lvl players that don't have a chance to win. Like IMO a 50 killing other 50s all day(as long as your not greifing/camping the same player) shouldn't be a problem but maby I'm the minority on that and it doesn't seem to be the direction they are going. I do love open world pvp just as much as arenas/bgs.
    You only get corrupted if the other player does not fight back and you kill him. If two players want to fight, they both go purple and the winner does not become corrupt.

Check out the description in the wiki (great source!) here: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption
  • Ok that makes more sense to me then what I was imagining. most of my info has come from youtube interviews with Steven. Thanks for the link, I'm definitely going to go through everything there now:)
  • If there was a bounty hunting mechanic for non-corrupted players it would have to be much weaker than the one in place for the corrupted. They don't serve the same purpose.

No markers on the map where the marked individuals are, it would be a far too easy way to track characters of interest. Put a 1 gold bounty on the leader of an opposing guild and every hunters know where they are.

Need a way to collect the reward for the kill. A character with a bounty on their head could drop a certificate exchangeable for the pre-paid bounty where the contract was initiated. They drop it has long as the bounty hasn't been collected, and once it is, all copies of the certificate are worthless.

There should be consequences (risks) for picking up that certificate, and collecting the bounty... Let say you are always flagged as a combatant when you have in your possession a bounty certificate, and gain corruption if you dare claim the reward.

Putting a price on someone's head should not be risk free either, such an evil act should have consequences too. First, the money reward plus extra fees should be paid when the contract created. Second, creating such a contract should immediately grand corruption that is irredeemable as long as the bounty hasn't been collected or the contract cancelled.

These are just suggestions if this kind of bounty hunting mechanic was ever to be implemented. For myself, I much prefer the roleplayed version in the line of what tautau proposed.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • I like a lot of your points. I was envisioning the same thing about no map markers. I was imagining a certain number of people would read the bounty, just happen to run into the person sometime later(maby in a town or out in the world)and get to decide at that point what they wanna do. But I was also thinking their should be a minimum amount of gold that could be offered, and no maximum.

I do like your idea for the pre-paid certificate, I think that would be a better way to go about it.

I like the idea of always being flagged while holding the certificate, but I don't think you should gain corruption when handing it in. Only gain corruption during the kill based off the normal corruption system.

I'd almost prefer the person making the bounty to not gain corruption. I've personally never offered anyone gold to get revenge for me, But I imagine you would have to be pretty upset with the person to do so. I remember playing wow and someone was being camped/greifed and they would ask for help in chat, or offer gold. If you offer 100g, the person may never be killed, but you offer 1000g you might get that guy killed within the day(in Wows case it was usually within the hour or not happen at all). So I think the gold would be a big enough hit your taking.

The only thing I don't like about tautau proposal is if their is no system besides posting on a bulletin board offering 1000g is how do you know they killed the person. There would have to be something in place even if its only that certificate you mentioned or something else similar.
  • Yeah, I think it's exactly the kind of thing that would fit into the world of Verra. You'd be better calling it something more akin to an Assassination Board, rather than a Bounty Board, to make the clear distinction between the two.

I posted a thread when I joined about dropping different body parts, time-stamped from the kill, that you could use to prove your kill. Will tag you in it to see what you think.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Only reason I could accept Bounty system is if someone kill too much player and the game consider him a Player killers. So the mayor get a bounty to save the citzen. But other then that no.

You cant put a bounty for no reason
  • ptitoine wrote: »
    Only reason I could accept Bounty system is if someone kill too much player and the game consider him a Player killers. So the mayor get a bounty to save the citzen. But other then that no.

Would you be up for an Assassination Hit List? Where players could post rewards for killing a certain player?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    ptitoine wrote: »
    Only reason I could accept Bounty system is if someone kill too much player and the game consider him a Player killers. So the mayor get a bounty to save the citzen. But other then that no.

Would you be up for an Assassination Hit List? Where players could post rewards for killing a certain player?

I would.

And folks, remember that "daveywavey" is all one word, no space between. You want to make sure it's spelled correctly.

Hhak63P.png
  • It would be fun if there was a big reward to the node for hunting Steven.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited February 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »
    ptitoine wrote: »

Well im not a player killer so I would not be on that bounty list. But for those who enjoy PvP and get revenge on those harrasing them it could be a nice way.

Hey they killed me so many time and now i can get a reward for taking revenge.

If im mayor im gonna do a holiday called Anti-griefer weekend. Each weekend i declare bounty hunting on griefer for free gold and no corruptions. Lets take revenge XD