Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Open world content Raids/Dungeons

What would everyone's preference be in regard to how raids and dungeon's function? Would you prefer Shorter instanced content with fewer bosses .....or longer instanced content with many bosses, adds, etc. Obviously, it has been stated most content will be in open world, so I assume other guilds will be able to disrupt your efforts to some degree.

I feel that if other groups can come in and disrupt a dungeon or raid, that it would make sense to have fewer bosses and that they instead would have more difficult mechanics. The rush would be more so in learning the mechanics properly and downing the boss asap! As opposed to a long run, downing adds on your way to a boss, while being pursued by enemy guilds. I would also love to see the option for guilds to run in large groups of 50 or to be able to run a mid-size group of 20, so that all guilds can run the content and it be based more off of skills and not large numbers.

Thoughts, opinions?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Based on the concepts within the question...

I personally don't like when it's just one boss with difficult mechanics. This design type is good for games with set roles and simple concepts, but tends to lead to marginalized play and meta-approaches.

But the reason I don't like it, is because it's usually too easy once you know the mechanics, and better teams with communication and good rhythm face less difficulty, making pickup groups painful for those who are still trying to build up such a team.

Therefore, oddly, I don't like it because it benefits me too much. Also benefits people who are like me but have even more time and even more honed skill, and I find such people are usually... unpleasant to everyone else. Just imagine my arrogance and toxicity but also extremely selfish.

At least when there's multiple bosses, there's chances for smaller guilds or less organized groups to get some experience, without the pressures of just 'joining the best group so that you always win quickly'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Longer, so guilds could set ambushes and hold choke points. 😉
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Open world Dungeons/Raids has nothing to do with what you know from wow tera eso ff14.

What Intrepid means with this concept is that you as a player may happen upon a cave entrance (or a ruin entrance or a tower/catacomb etc etc) and as you walk in you are greeted by a bunch of mobs.

The cave will be a large area full of mobs and in some locations there will be raid bosses with or without minions, which once killed will respawn at a pre determined number of hours.

Those dungeons are just another zone of the map, with most likely stronger mobs. And as with the rest of the game, other players can attack you.

Most players going there wont necessarily try to kill a raid boss. Most players will just form 4-7 man groups, lv up and loot.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Whether Intrepid will make the raid bosses more interesting by adding fun mechanics and how those can be implemented in a non-instanced setting, it remains to be seen.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    My preference would be for large open dungeons, with individual single boss instances spread throughout.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Azherae wrote: »
    But the reason I don't like it, is because it's usually too easy once you know the mechanics, and better teams with communication and good rhythm face less difficulty, making pickup groups painful for those who are still trying to build up such a team.
    That isn't the content getting easier, it is the players getting better at it.

Are you saying a game shouldn't have content that encourages people to improve? How would that even work?
  • Options
    I would love to see very long dungeons and raids. The one dunir dungeon with the lava and the dragon looked amazing. Very open, very large, very cool looking.

Then there is the idea that dungeons expand when the node closest to it levels up. I like that idea too, but I don't think Intrepid has said that is what's happening (yet).
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Every time a node levels up, the dungeons change. Whenever the seasons change (four seasons, perhaps changing weekly), the dungeons change. There will be some magical events in the world that change dungeons. Other things we don't know about yet will probably change dungeons, such as a rather distant node becoming a metropolis.

You are going to be happy @McShave !
  • Options
    I'd prefer shorter. Moslty cause time beeing a thing in real life. And unlike instance dungeon. If your guild can only kill 4 out of the 9 boss. On next try you dont start at 5 you still have to redo these 4 first one. So I find it quite limiting on gear drop if you make them too long with too many bosses.

I understand A raid is supposed to be long but let says 4-5h max
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We saw a small part of this in Alpha 1. I ran out to a dungeon right after server reset and it was little more then a single hallway. It was obvious where it would open up later either down or off to the sides.
    At the start the main hallway here in this video stopped, right after they drop down at 12:03. I dropped down and it went a tiny way and then stopped in both directions.
    Also the rooms shown at 10:22 and 24 were both dead end rooms. In the video it looks like they opened up further to new paths. (this dungeon is in the Winstead node. or was at least.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyoYYp2IayA

How far they can push this design idea remains to be seen. I personally hope they push it really far with multiple entrances and instanced raid bosses for various levels depending on the floor level.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I would love to get a few massive dungeons/raids that may require multiple days to comb through entirely. Make it a full on expedition on a guild's part.

Perhaps this develops a little camp outside of the dungeon where other players from the guild, or other guilds, or even just individuals may gather to trade resources being found, or supplying items etc for courriers to resupply the dungeoneering party etc.

Maybe you can have a contract to mine resources in the dungeon that some other guild is clearing etc. And then you split the gathering rewards, whilst the fighting party keeps all the resources gained from battle.

If the dungeon contains interesting lore that the party delving deep can bring back for all to hear, than it could be an event where people from across the server come to aid in the effort etc. The longer it may take, the more epic I feel.

However, I would also want a majority of dungeons that may take an hour or so depending on the group's pace, with optimally 3 or 4 bosses with challenging but not brutal mechanics.
    Sig-ult-2.png