Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Please dont make costume 1 piece transmog.

ptitoineptitoine Member
edited February 2022 in General Discussion
I know it might sound weird but please let the costume be multiples pieces of 1 set instead.

I have nothing agains full look. Some people may love it. I dont in certain case. But i find it too restrictive.

Can you please follow what WoW did with Heritage armor and other customisation look.

You release the full look but each piece of gear can be transmog individually.

So exemple the costume i got is (Boots, glove, dress helm,) If i find belt and shoulder it would give me the opportunity to add the look compared to a full blown costume who wouldnt.

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be both individual pieces and full set.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • There will be both individual pieces and full set.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots

I know and thats why I made the post saying why in my opinion they shouldnt be. If you give the player the full set but each item are indivual transmog its less limiting in term of choice of look. Cause you might find some nice pieces to mix but sinse its costume you couldnt mix them.

Hence why I made this post saying they shouldnt put them in 1 costume slot but give the set with each peice individual instead
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ptitoine wrote: »
    If you give the player the full set but each item are indivual transmog its less limiting in term of choice of look.
    But that is their reason for doing it.

If you use a full costume, you are limited to having the one look, and that it is. These are so far only directly confirmed to be available in the shop (this may change - but there is no confirmation of it as yet).

If you use cosmetics that you gain in game, these are less restrictive, can be applied to your character on a slot by slot basis, and are also likely to be less restricted in terms of dye.

Basically, the idea is that if you use in game cosmetics, you have more options. If you buy cosmetics, you have fewer options.
  • ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited February 2022
    Noaani wrote: »

Basically, the idea is that if you use in game cosmetics, you have more options. If you buy cosmetics, you have fewer options.

That something i find weird. why have less option if I paid for it. To me they should be equal not more restrictive.

I do understand the idea behind it. But i dont agree cause to me its restrictive in term of customisation and its something i dont really like in game in generals.

I like having the freedom of mixing looks, make my own visual

That something i find weird. why have less option if I paid for it. To me they should be equal not more restrictive.

I do understand the idea behind it. But i dont agree cause to me its restrictive in term of customisation and its something i dont really like in game in generals.

I like having the freedom of mixing looks, make my own visual
    You have that freedom.

Get the look you want in game, rather than from the store.

As far as I can tell, the reasoning behind it is that people that actually give a shit about this kind of thing are so vein that they will spend ungodly amounts of time in game to get just the right look, whereas people that just don't care that much, who just want to not look like shit but don't care about it any more than that, these people will just buy a cosmetic costume and be done with it.

There are two distinct cosmetic systems in this game. It is a mistake to think that both systems are for the same group of people.
  • RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope that each individual piece of armor can be customized with our available "costume" designs regardless of how we acquired them. Hell even New World has this. just right click and change the skin of your gloves to one style, and then your shoulder armor can be from a totally different cosmetic. If Amazon can do it I KNOW Intrepid can.
    Rohkai wrote: »
    I hope that each individual piece of armor can be customized with our available "costume" designs regardless of how we acquired them. Hell even New World has this. just right click and change the skin of your gloves to one style, and then your shoulder armor can be from a totally different cosmetic. If Amazon can do it I KNOW Intrepid can.

It isn't about what they can and can not do, it is about what they want to do and don't want to do.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know it might sound weird but please let the costume be multiples pieces of 1 set instead.

I have nothing agains full look. Some people may love it. I dont in certain case. But i find it too restrictive.

Can you please follow what WoW did with Heritage armor and other customisation look.

So exemple the costume i got is (Boots, glove, dress helm,) If i find belt and shoulder it would give me the opportunity to add the look compared to a full blown costume who wouldnt.

I support you from a selfish perspective. I have full costumes that would be AWESOME if I could mix individual pieces from them with other skins I have.

However, I think it might be a lot of work to convert these costumes into individual pieces that mix well with other pieces without clipping. After the already told us that they weren't going to do that.

And I agree with @Noanni that I think Intrepid doesn't want to break up costumes, they have their reason to keep them as one set. So I'm not holding out hope that this will change.

I also like the idea that the tradeoff for the lack of customization is that you can wear a costume all the time no matter what gear you have or what level you are. I think that's fair.

Hhak63P.png
  • Yours truly was also quite disappointed to learn the monthly cosmetics are a full, 1-piece covering; I'd also thought them to be separable into the other pieces. I greatly dislike many of the accessories with the set I'd bought, and mainly just wanted the coat.

• Noaani wrote: »
    It isn't about what they can and can not do, it is about what they want to do and don't want to do.

True but doesnt mean i cant try to appeal XD

As far as I can tell, the reasoning behind it is that people that actually give a shit about this kind of thing are so vein that they will spend ungodly amounts of time in game to get just the right look, whereas people that just don't care that much, who just want to not look like shit but don't care about it any more than that, these people will just buy a cosmetic costume and be done with it.

There are two distinct cosmetic systems in this game. It is a mistake to think that both systems are for the same group of people.

That is just your personnal assumption. Doesnt mean because I or other player find the costmetic in shop mean they buy it just cause they dont want to look like shit. Its easier yeah and you already have the look done. But I dont think saying its for 2 different group of people is the case. Cause in either way they both want to look good by either 1 way or the other
    That is just your personnal assumption. Doesnt mean because I or other player find the costmetic in shop mean they buy it just cause they dont want to look like shit. Its easier yeah and you already have the look done. But I dont think saying its for 2 different group of people is the case. Cause in either way they both want to look good by either 1 way or the other
    The two types of people the systems are for are those that just don't want to look like shit, and those that want others to know they put thought in to how they look.

The two systems are very much for these two different groups. Someone that only cares about not looking like shit isn't likely to go to the lengths of having to piecemeal together a set. Those that want others to know they put effort in to how they look are not likely to want to use a one piece costume.
    The two types of people ...

I've noticed your rebuttals often only identify two types of people. I'm buying you a 1d4 for Valentines Day.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    The two systems are very much for these two different groups. Someone that only cares about not looking like shit isn't likely to go to the lengths of having to piecemeal together a set. Those that want others to know they put effort in to how they look are not likely to want to use a one piece costume.

Thats your points of views and its ok. But to me this aint true. Some people want RP based look and often costume are more on point for that kind of thing then each pieces transmog. So to me its just an assumption that you have from your own point of views.

Could be the majority yeah but couldn also not.

edited February 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    The two types of people ...

I've noticed your rebuttals often only identify two types of people. I'm buying you a 1d4 for Valentines Day.
    If you have just 50 different ways to break people up in to two types, you have room for 1,125,899,906,842,620 unique people.

Breaking things down in to two types is perfectly fine, imo, if you disagree, that is just one more of those 50 different ways.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are in fact three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    So a big piece of this is due to the development time of making 6 individual pieces vs making one single mesh.

Now, part of this argument is defeated by the fact that Intrepid is taking some of the part of the full body cosmetic and using them on NPCs. If that is the case, it doesn't create any more work for them to release those parts to the players.

For example, the Covid Castigator head piece can be seen on devs as a single slot item. Also, Steven has shown the individual armor pieces in his bag.

In the end, if Intrepid wants a certain look they will restrict us to single piece full body. Although their reasons for them are basically "that's what we want".
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
    Yours truly was also quite disappointed to learn the monthly cosmetics are a full, 1-piece covering; I'd also thought them to be separable into the other pieces. I greatly dislike many of the accessories with the set I'd bought, and mainly just wanted the coat.

To clarify, some of the monthly cosmetics are pieces you can mix and match. From what I've observed, every month they release one costume and one accessory. The costumes are all one piece and can't be altered much (I think some parts of them can be dyed) but they'll replace everything at once (except weapons). I didn't know this at first either and bought a couple of items thinking I could mix and match, but it's okay. I didn't buy anything I wouldn't be tempted to wear at some point, maybe just on a lark. Maybe on Halloween to celebrate the holiday in-game. :grin:

For example, right now there is this costume, which is full-body and can't be mixed with any other pieces:
    costume.png

This, on the other hand, is an accessory. I don't know what slot it goes in, but it will appear as part of your character's appearance and can mix with other piecemeal cosmetic parts:
    accessory.png

Notice that the pictures have the names "costume" and "accessory" if you look at the information for each. That's how Intrepid classifies them in the cosmetic system.

Hhak63P.png
  • Atama wrote: »
    Yours truly was also quite disappointed to learn the monthly cosmetics are a full, 1-piece covering; I'd also thought them to be separable into the other pieces. I greatly dislike many of the accessories with the set I'd bought, and mainly just wanted the coat.

To clarify, some of the monthly cosmetics are pieces you can mix and match. From what I've observed, every month they release one costume and one accessory. The costumes are all one piece and can't be altered much (I think some parts of them can be dyed) but they'll replace everything at once (except weapons). I didn't know this at first either and bought a couple of items thinking I could mix and match, but it's okay. I didn't buy anything I wouldn't be tempted to wear at some point, maybe just on a lark. Maybe on Halloween to celebrate the holiday in-game. :grin:

For example, right now there is this costume, which is full-body and can't be mixed with any other pieces:
    costume.png

This, on the other hand, is an accessory. I don't know what slot it goes in, but it will appear as part of your character's appearance and can mix with other piecemeal cosmetic parts:
    accessory.png

Notice that the pictures have the names "costume" and "accessory" if you look at the information for each. That's how Intrepid classifies them in the cosmetic system.

Thats what I am saying. Why not give Helm/glove/dress/boots individually transmog and give them all 4 to the player. So let say I love the helm and would like to mix it with other stuff. In costume I cant but in individual piece I could.

Also sinse its a costume the little loot that is on the belt ''or whatever it should be'' cant be added to the look cause its a costume and not individually transmog

edited February 2022
    One game I play and have played since original beta is The Secret World, later rebooted into Secret World Legends (SWL). I have a lifetime subscription (as I do with AoC) and have really gotten my money's worth out of many years of playing.

Anyway, SWL takes place in modern times, so most people wear regular clothes, and during character creation you basically just pick out pants, a shirt, shoes, maybe glasses and/or a hat. You don't get armor in the game, you get weapons (guns, melee weapons, and totems to cast magic from) and you get "talismans" that give you power but don't show up on your character. Think of them like invisible armor pieces that boost your stats.

Everything in that game that shows up on your character (aside from weapons) is form of cosmetic. Most items are placed piece by piece, but you can also get full body costumes that can't be altered, like an astronaut suit, or hazmat suit, or footy pajamas, or a giant bloody chipmunk mascot suit.

Since I'm used to that system, having played it many years, the system that Ashes will have doesn't bother me at all. I get that some things can be mixed and matched and others can't. No big deal.

Hhak63P.png
  • ptitoine wrote: »

I agree with you
    I hope there is freedom to choose from both in game and store cosmetics

Take this months for example, I can dig the crystal robes, but that shiny skull cap he has on? No thanks. I'd want a different head piece.

I feel like the only things that should be complete costumes that you can't mix and match are the angel/demon or fire/ice type stuffed from the Kickstarter package
  • Personally, I like the idea of 1-piece transmog. Yes, there is the whole mix and match concept but most of the time it just results in you want an entire set and you spend countless hours farming the same dungeon, raid, etc to get some shoulders or whatever. Keep some of the sets simple as opposed to 7 different items one can wear and they have to grind for each one with a low percentage drop chance. Who wants a partial set? I would rather have a 1% chance at a full set drop/skin.... then a 5% chance and I have to get it one piece at a time grinding the same content.
  • RazThemun wrote: »
    Personally, I like the idea of 1-piece transmog. Yes, there is the whole mix and match concept but most of the time it just results in you want an entire set and you spend countless hours farming the same dungeon, raid, etc to get some shoulders or whatever. Keep some of the sets simple as opposed to 7 different items one can wear and they have to grind for each one with a low percentage drop chance. Who wants a partial set? I would rather have a 1% chance at a full set drop/skin.... then a 5% chance and I have to get it one piece at a time grinding the same content.

My point was that you kinda use an item that give you the look of the costume but on each piece. So it would be the same for each in-game costume or costume from the shop. You dont need to unlock each piece individually or to drop it one by one. It give you all but you can transmog them individually. It also allow the fact that you can add and remove stuff. Unlike the 1 piece costume that you cant. So each time they show an accessory that fit in the shop well if you choose the costume you can never use that said accessory you paid for to combine with the costume