Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Speed Effect!

Greetings!

I've been watching a lot of Ashes content since I discovered it, especially Alpha 1 gameplay.
I have seen a very strange effect when running, like speed, it almost looks like an anime animation.
Have they commented on that? will it stay permanently?

Comments

• Options
    I hope it won't stay.
  • Options
    I believe that it's not intended to stay, or at the very least they will tone it down. There was an overwhelming response to it during A1 so I am certain Steven and the team were perceptive enough to acknowledge this :D
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    People didnt like it
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sarkgp wrote: »
    Greetings!

I've been watching a lot of Ashes content since I discovered it, especially Alpha 1 gameplay.
    I have seen a very strange effect when running, like speed, it almost looks like an anime animation.
    Have they commented on that? will it stay permanently?

Many people have said it looks like an animation from anime. You completely nailed it.

I believe it was one of many placeholders in Alpha 1. We were warned repeatedly that animations were still very early in development and that is an example of one of them. So it will either go away entirely, or be part of something else (like a speed spell, charge attack, etc.). It was ridiculous for a simple sprint action.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I did not like the speed effect at all.

Sometimes in alpha the speed effect would not work, but the move speed did work...
    Those were good times.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I liked it.
    It's a great visual for informing you when sprint is active - most importantly, when sprint has deactivated.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    I liked it.
    It's a great visual for informing you when sprint is active - most importantly, when sprint has deactivated.

I like having a visual indication that sprint is active, but not that visual indicator.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Sure, everyone has their opinion.
    Though I think the visual cue that you're sprinting should be a sense of actual speed, not some weird animation. But it's just my opinion.
  • Options
    RaytekuRayteku Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally would like to see it stay, just in the options screen as a slider. Maybe a 0-10 slider with 10 being alpha 1 mode or maybe even a little stronger for the people who like it, and 0 being off. I personally would like to keep it but tone it down quite a bit, I would put it right next to motion blur and camera shake both of which I would like to disable in every game I hate them so much haha, but seriously the more options the better... for everything.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Dygz wrote: »
    I liked it.

I think actually 'moving faster' would be a GREAT visual indicator for moving faster, and when you cease to move faster would be wonderful as a 'you aren't going fast anymore' indicator.

I think I'm going to design a hub cap that has a spike that comes out and then goes parallel to the tire. When the tire goes flat the spike will hit the road making an audible sound letting the driver know the tire is flat.
    Of course the handling of the vehicle will be severely impacted by the flat tire, and the deflated tire will also be producing a noticeable and unmistakable sound, but the spike's auxiliary sound is clearly something that is needed.
    I'm a genius.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Sprint is not so much faster than basic run that you can easily perceive the difference without artificial indicators - nor should it be given the dev goal not to have fast travel. Also, since mounts will be moving faster than sprint.