Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Helping to Prevent Server Merges and Avoiding Launch Day Queue Boredom with Sanctus

GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
A problem with Ashes of Creation is that the game is very anti-server merge at its core. Let's say my server's population dies down, and the server gets merged. All the hard work my guild put into a particular node goes to waste. The local economy gets completely changed; we lose all of our progress in a game that's centered around node progression and node maintenance.

So, I was thinking a bit over how Intrepid could prevent server merges from occurring, assuming that server populations are bound to dwindle by a certain percentage on launch. Although admittedly, if the game is as amazing as I think it will be, player retention will be higher than a certain, recent MMO that is plagued with server merges.

One obvious strategy to combat dwindling server populations, is to simply have not as many servers, and force players to be in a queue while waiting to play the game. Ashes current plan is to have 15,000 players registered to a server at launch with concurrent player populations of 8,000-10,000. So that's potentially a 4,000+ queue on launch and requiring 40% of the player population to log off in order to log on, if you're in the back of the line. We're going to be in queue at launch for several hours at a time. But this seems necessary to me, to prepare for the worst of a dwindling player population after the first quarter of the game's release. We don't want new servers to accommodate long queue times, only to have half the player base leave after a month of playing. I was thinking that during these queue times, we could be in a separate server dedicated to Sanctus in order to entertain us while we wait to get into Verra. That way, we can have some dedicated gameplay to hold us over.

Some suggestions of how this could work. Sanctus would be a tutorial area where you stay as long as you please. When you're ready to head to Verra, you interact with a Divine Gateway in order to get a queue reservation. Your spot in queue is in the upper right corner of your screen, and once it hits zero you get your little cutscene of heading through the Divine Gateway, and arriving in Verra.
While in Sanctus, there could be tutorials for the crafting system in Ashes. You could find out some Ashes lore, especially over 4000 years of Sanctus lore, in this area. There could be taverns you can wait in with other players, and play tavern games with those players. Or perhaps you could put up notices on tavern boards to recruit for your guild. Creating a nice little social environment at the beginning of the game would do wonders to hold people over. Sanctus could also act as an area all players in a server region interact; with a player's server selection being done by interacting with the Divine Gateway; and starting their queue reservation. (Unless you already have a guild reservation made.) Maybe you can choose to go to an instance of Sanctus that is only your race, creating a unique environment. Maybe you can get to adventuring level 2 in Sanctus, or gather a very limited number of tier 1 mats to take with you to Verra.

And when your main character gets into Verra finally, and the very next day you also have a queue timer, you can play in Sanctus on an alt while you wait. Recruit, find Sanctus lore, play tavern games.

My point being, if Intrepid can give us some kind of gameplay on Sanctus, there will be less pressure on Intrepid to open up servers that may be doomed to fail in the future. If we get players that stick with the game for 5 hours before getting on Verra, we might be ensuring healthy server populations down the line regardless of the game's popularity after launch. And it's a hell of a lot better than just staring at a number on a screen at launch.
bRVL6TR.png

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are some players who have made substantial investments into IS who will be allowed a small (1-2 day) head start into the game. However, I think that they will have ONE server open to them, so all those folks will be on the same server. The rest of us who don't want to compete with these players simply avoid that one 'head start' server.

That may not have a huge impact on ques on opening day, but it will have some impact since these players won't be logging into your server.

We will have to put up with the wait time for a bit, I think. Just read the wiki to learn more of the game and prepare yourself. Or write your mom, do your homework, wash your clothes, be productive....since once you get online those things won't be happening.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    There are some players who have made substantial investments into IS who will be allowed a small (1-2 day) head start into the game. However, I think that they will have ONE server open to them, so all those folks will be on the same server. The rest of us who don't want to compete with these players simply avoid that one 'head start' server.

That may not have a huge impact on ques on opening day, but it will have some impact since these players won't be logging into your server.

We will have to put up with the wait time for a bit, I think. Just read the wiki to learn more of the game and prepare yourself. Or write your mom, do your homework, wash your clothes, be productive....since once you get online those things won't be happening.

I don't see how head start servers will have any significant effect on queue times on the actual launch day.

It's not that people won't wait in a queue. It's that Intrepid will get negative press from long queue times and people will be moaning about creating more servers. Making it easier for them to keep longer queue times without as much negative backlash, seems like a good investment to me. After all, I'd expect them to make a Sanctus tutorial area anyway, why not make that an actual experience?
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes is also centered around losing Node progression and hard work "going to waste" whenever a Siege is lost.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't expect to see any negative backlash from long server queues in the first week or two, honestly. Most MMO players know this will be the case, and also know they don't want more servers added to the game.

basically, long queues for a while is all a part of MMO's now, and most of us know and accept this.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    This is a really important topic. There's just too much we don't know right now to really come up with solutions. But I hope Intrepid is looking into ways to mitigate the impacts of queues. Handled badly enough, it can be make or break for a game.

Edit: I like the idea of a tutorial instance while in queue. Is it feasible? I don't see why not, but there's a lot we don't know right now. Mortal Online 2 did it, kind of.

But the demand for this game on release could be absolutely crushing. And then there could be a somewhat significant drop off later because of the nature of the game. This issue will probably be one of Ashes' biggest hurdles, hope it's on Intrepid's radar.
  • Options
    Perhaps they will have a 'soft' launch instead of trying to maximize players at launch. They can then ramp up advertising once the early kinks are worked out and some of the early players drop off and replace them with new players.

Given that they aren't a corporation seeking to maximize short term profits, a slow and steady upramping might be worth considering.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    One of the kickstarter perks was 2 day head start, so I suppose they will be the Gamma testers! :lol:
  • Options
    The ideal solution is the one applied by Guild wars 2.

While trying to play on a server, if the server is full, the game automatically docks you to a mirror server. (places you on a different server) while queuing on your official server.
    When the queue ends, a warning message appears to move to your official server and after a small loading screen there you are.
  • Options
    Sarkgp wrote: »
    The ideal solution is the one applied by Guild wars 2.

While trying to play on a server, if the server is full, the game automatically docks you to a mirror server. (places you on a different server) while queuing on your official server.
    When the queue ends, a warning message appears to move to your official server and after a small loading screen there you are.

That goes against the game design for competition over limited resources on your server.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    The wiki has a page that discusses what we have said on this topic in the past. You can read more about servers here! :)

As for this specific question, I know Steven has mentioned in the past that certain accounts will be able to pre-register. We've also discussed what our plans have been for server population, which helps us plan ahead for when the release date comes. You can see more about what Steven said on this topic on this page of the wiki :)

community_management.gif
  • Options
    RockHoundRockHound Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Maybe we could instantly log into our freehold if there is a que to log into the main population server. That could give us something to do while we wait for any ques. Hopefully we will be able to craft, manage inventory, auctions, stock market, chat with friends/guildies, ect.... while in our freehold. All of these could be a great time sink if there are que times for actually adventuring.
  • Options
    I think that doing things like crop rotations on freeholds, mayoral and castle decisions, and handling our merchandise stalls are going to be something we can do via an app on our phones. So yes, @Rohkai , in a way what you hope for is already going to be implemented.
  • Options
    @Goalid Yeah, would be awsome to have atleast something to do at launch other than watching a slow decreasing number of people in front of you in a queue.

@Noaani while some lay down and accept the situation, others try and innovate and create something new.
  • Options
    Orym wrote: »
    Noaani while some lay down and accept the situation, others try and innovate and create something new.
    I mean, this isn't new, it's just new to you. What you are talking about is essentially just a server lobby.

EQ2 had no server queues at all at launch. The games servers were designed where hardware was dedicated to specific zones. If a specific zone had too many people in it, the server would just open up a second instance of that zone, or a third, or a fourth.

I mean, if Intrepid have the hardware to allow players to play in Sanctus, why not just allow them to play in Verra instead? it's not like playing in Sanctus wouldn't use server capacity - unless it is an offline, client-side, single player thing.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I don't expect to see any negative backlash from long server queues in the first week or two, honestly. Most MMO players know this will be the case, and also know they don't want more servers added to the game.

basically, long queues for a while is all a part of MMO's now, and most of us know and accept this.

???
  • Options
    Orym wrote: »
    Noaani while some lay down and accept the situation, others try and innovate and create something new.
    I mean, this isn't new, it's just new to you. What you are talking about is essentially just a server lobby.

EQ2 had no server queues at all at launch. The games servers were designed where hardware was dedicated to specific zones. If a specific zone had too many people in it, the server would just open up a second instance of that zone, or a third, or a fourth.

I mean, if Intrepid have the hardware to allow players to play in Sanctus, why not just allow them to play in Verra instead? it's not like playing in Sanctus wouldn't use server capacity - unless it is an offline, client-side, single player thing.

Because playing in that instance removes the threat of PvP that should exist, as well as the competition for resources. My suggestion for Sanctus doesn't involve using server capacity, Sanctus can be on a different server while you wait in queue to get on your server.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited February 2022
    There is no way to avoid queues and server mergers (if) once the initial hype dies out: you must choose what's the better problem to have. You either spin up more servers so that people don't need to queue for 12 hours and probably face empty servers issue some months later OR you don't spin up servers and have 12 hour queues for the first weeks.

OP's Sanctus idea isn't bad, it reminds me of "Tutorial Island" from RuneScape, but there will still be technical limitations even if the Sanctum is instanced. You will either still have a queue at some point or it will have a cap on number of connections.

This is quite a difficult issue to solve, but in my opinion, potential server mergers (months or years down the road) are better than likely long queues.

If Intrepid were to agree with that statement, I believe they should make it clear how server mergers would work and find the best possible way to implement them, given all the peculiarities Ashes will have. Mergers will never make everyone happy, but I'm sure it's possible to make up to players that are active on the servers that will soon be lost/merged.

I am not saying server mergers are a good thing, I simply believe that it's better to have mergers start happening months after launch than having 12 hour queues hurting the game's reputation because the number of servers on launch was not enough.

Last but not least, no matter how many servers there are, there will definitely be server queues on the most competitive, streamer, RP and coolest named servers. Banning character creation on those servers is an awful decision, in my opinion.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Goalid wrote: »
    Because playing in that instance removes the threat of PvP that should exist, as well as the competition for resources. My suggestion for Sanctus doesn't involve using server capacity, Sanctus can be on a different server while you wait in queue to get on your server.

If it is running on hardware that Intrepid are paying for, that hardware could instead be used to see more people on the actual server.

Also, instancing overland areas doesn’t remove PvP. You aren't getting an instance all to yourself, you are sharing it with as many people as the area is designed for - in EQ2's case, that was 100 or so for most zones, but some larger zones had more than that before they opened up a second instance.

---

I think perhaps what some people here are not taking in to account is that for most companies and most games, there is a real and practical limit - the server hardware. Ashes doesn't have this limit, and so can do things different. There is no actual reason they couldn't allow more people on to a server at launch - they can just scale up the hardware to match since they don't have that same limit.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We know that there are plans to have offline stuff you will be able to do via an app. Check on items you’re selling, take care of crops, etc. Why not make that available in the game loader while you’re in a queue? If they’re already setting it up, reuse it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    We know that there are plans to have offline stuff you will be able to do via an app. Check on items you’re selling, take care of crops, etc. Why not make that available in the game loader while you’re in a queue? If they’re already setting it up, reuse it.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I do have to ask - why not just use the app while you are waiting?

That said, most of what is going to be on the app won't be of use in the first week or two.
  • Options
    @Noaani it does remove PvP when say the rarest ore vein is in a certain area, and now your group of 100 people are just getting those mats with no competition rather than having a huge battle over them with another large guild / alliance. Same with open world bosses, dungeons, etc. Instancing areas goes against the game design.

Why does Ashes have no hardware limitations? I think under your model for instancing that might be true, but I don't believe Ashes having 20,000 concurrent players per server instead of say 10,000 is merely a consequence of the developer's will. I would think the servers would be more fragile with more players, and I would expect one server that runs with 20,000 players, would be more costly than two servers with 10,000 players.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    @Noaani it does remove PvP when say the rarest ore vein is in a certain area, and now your group of 100 people are just getting those mats with no competition rather than having a huge battle over them with another large guild / alliance. Same with open world bosses, dungeons, etc. Instancing areas goes against the game design.

Why does Ashes have no hardware limitations? I think under your model for instancing that might be true, but I don't believe Ashes having 20,000 concurrent players per server instead of say 10,000 is merely a consequence of the developer's will. I would think the servers would be more fragile with more players, and I would expect one server that runs with 20,000 players, would be more costly than two servers with 10,000 players.

Well, obviously if a similar system was to be implemented in a game like Ashes, there would be more than 100 people in an area. You wouldn't just copy and paste a system from a game that is nearly two decades old - you take the general idea and make it work with the game you have.

Ashes doesn't have the same hardware limitations as other games because they are using AWS, rather than their own hardware.

While New World used AWS as well, since that game was made by a bunch of people with no real idea what an MMO is, I wouldn't use them as an example of anything.
  • Options
    nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. Like you mentioned New World that also uses AWS, it has to do with the networking software and how much it can handle.

Multiple instances just wouldn’t work with an open world mmo in a good way, especially with the systems AoC has.

I actually really like the OP’s idea. It’s basically an extended starter area that can be limited with how much it affects the real map. Most tutorials could be left in that area too. Then the actual map starter areas can be more old school. Less hand holding. As long as there are no advantages over just entering the main map other than tutorials it would work.
  • Options
    what about limiting game time for everyone? maybe you get 6 hours a day, or 4 hours every 8.(just examples). Idk how many times I've tried to play a game for 10+ hours and might get 2 hours played(usually long ques with random disconnects in between), while others get those same 10hrs in game. This could balance that out so everyone who wants to play can get time in and limit the amount in que. Would also help avoid afkers and wall runners that try to avoid sitting in que again. Then take it out as soon as a server stabilizes a bit.

There will still be ques so not against the tutorial/hang out area as well.
  • Options
    nibiru97 wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. Like you mentioned New World that also uses AWS, it has to do with the networking software and how much it can handle.
    New World wasn't designed from the ground up with the idea of using AWS, Ashes is.

Multiple instances (or phases) in a game like Ashes could work just fine. I'm not saying it has to work, or even that it should be what Intrepid do, I ma simply pointing out to people that there are MANY ways to do things that most people here haven't thought of.

I don't see any point at all in a pre-game lobby. It doesn't add anything positive to the experience, and the concept of being able to log in to an alt but not your main is just weird.
  • Options
    @Noaani New World's problem is that it uses Lumberyard, the engine causes huge problems for their networking. Getting 10,000 people in a non-instanced open world isn't as simple as just paying AWS more money.

I think most people have thought of instancing, but we're playing Ashes specifically to not get an experience like GW2 / Lost Ark, but more like Archeage in its heyday.

A pre-game lobby allows for socialization and some form of gameplay while you're in queue. People don't want to queue up and go do laundry, they want to have some kind of interaction with the game and its community (since it's a social game) and I think this helps create less complaints from people in a queue and satisfies some itch. The concept was that you could play on some Sanctus alt while waiting to get in on your main, maybe it can just be your main waiting in the pre-game lobby, I only suggested it for immersion's sake.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Anarchy23 wrote: »
    what about limiting game time for everyone? maybe you get 6 hours a day, or 4 hours every 8.(just examples). Idk how many times I've tried to play a game for 10+ hours and might get 2 hours played(usually long ques with random disconnects in between), while others get those same 10hrs in game.

What if someone takes off for that specific day and can really only binge play for a day or two? I get the idea, but I think having a limit on consistent game time would cause way more complaints from consumers. Are there any other games that successfully implemented this idea?
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Noaani New World's problem is that it uses Lumberyard, the engine causes huge problems for their networking. Getting 10,000 people in a non-instanced open world isn't as simple as just paying AWS more money.

Depends on how the games server is set up.

If the game just has a set amount of hardware per game server, allocating server resources based on in game location, then sure (this is what most games do).

On the other hand, if the game allocates resources to each character, regardless of where they are, then having more players on one server isn't an issue (Rift is designed this way).

If they developed Ashes that second way, and the AWS resources are just allocated per account, then yes, throwing more money at them will allow for it
  • Options
    Anarchy23 wrote: »
    what about limiting game time for everyone? maybe you get 6 hours a day, or 4 hours every 8.(just examples). Idk how many times I've tried to play a game for 10+ hours and might get 2 hours played(usually long ques with random disconnects in between), while others get those same 10hrs in game.

What if someone takes off for that specific day and can really only binge play for a day or two? I get the idea, but I think having a limit on consistent game time would cause way more complaints from consumers. Are there any other games that successfully implemented this idea?

I have no idea, I just thought of it tbh. I get it causing its own problems. I just know even days I took off for day 1 releases and had all day to play I rarely if ever was able to. It was hard to get in game for certain releases, then you get server maintence, Dcs, and every time your most likely waiting in que again. Just thought it might be a fair way to share game time early release. Classic WoW was the most recent one I can remember. I was trying all day and was just getting outpaced because I couldn't stay in game, while it seemed like others were able to stay/get back in. I kept doing /who to see names/levels.
  • Options
    nibiru97 wrote: »
    New World wasn't designed from the ground up with the idea of using AWS, Ashes is.

Multiple instances (or phases) in a game like Ashes could work just fine. I'm not saying it has to work, or even that it should be what Intrepid do, I ma simply pointing out to people that there are MANY ways to do things that most people here haven't thought of.

I don't see any point at all in a pre-game lobby. It doesn't add anything positive to the experience, and the concept of being able to log in to an alt but not your main is just weird.

It could definitely add a positive experience depending on how they did it Imo. While I don't care to much about lore, or tavern games, I can see other people that would enjoy that, which would be a positive experience for them. I personally would enjoy the free time of looking at my skills, maybe practicing rotations on a dummy, talking in gen chat, browsing your inventory/gear, checking out your status screen. While I agree you prolly shouldn't get to level or farm mats, there's deff stuff that would be more fun then staring at a que. Long ques could easily go on for a while.