Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mount summon in Elden ring

Yo i saw some Elden ring gameplay and noticed that the mount summon was especially awsome.
No silly whistle and the mount comes running from out of screen bs. Just straight up force a beast in to existence.

I just thought that was way cooler than trying to make it "realistic" with a mount that comes running or some lazy ass animation where you instantly pop onto the mount when summoned.

Mounting is going to be a thing you would do alot in Ashes, so, what kind of mount summon do you guys prefer? Any games you think did this well?

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Whistle and mount appears is fine.
    They don't really need to do much more than what we had in Alpha 1, IMO.
    How a mount is summoned is at the bottom of my interest list in an MMORPG.
  • Options
    I don't like magic pop-in mounts, seems silly.
    Off screen walk in is.. Ok. At least tries to sell the idea of logic but the dismount is always wonky.

I haven't seen the elden ring anim. but it sounds halfway to what a good system would be, IMO. Since there's obviously magic and taming wild animals with any success/time is more than just handing food out, there could be a nature magic based design around how they are handled.. Binding it to a collar crafted of special Vines or something.

People don't want true static, living, killable mounts usually but that is what I would like most..
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Whistle and mount appears is fine.

This is the exact descriptor every product developer wants other to use to describe their product.

The above is sarcasm. Anything accurately described as "fine" is something that has a mile of room for improvement, and that improvement should be considered.
  • Options
    It definitely did look good from what I saw! Though I hope that wouldn't be too much work for all the mounts they will have.

One thing that could work, with the "ashes" theme of things such as when mobs die they kind of de-materialise like a glowing powdery ash, we could have that when they are summoned and dismissed, it could be quick and not majorly flashy but just to give an entry/exit that kind of makes sense in the ashes world to a degree. Not that everything has to make sense!

One other thing i'd say is just to try and nail those animations at all angles particularly turning around, strafing etc. These need some fine tuning but I am hopeful these will go through the same iterations other areas have.
  • Options
    True static, living, killable mounts would be best.
  • Options
    lotro mount system by far my favourite.
    +- 3 sec cast . the player whistls and the mount comes to you and you jump into it.
  • Options
    Any idea when Alpha 2 launches?
  • Options
    I thought of a cool animation that would be fun in ashes. Imagine the Elden ring summon but without the whiste and blue magic sparks when you summon and change it into the roar of the beast you summon with a flamey kind of spark instead. And when you dismount the mount quickly disintegrates, and if you dismount while running you run of like you hopped off a moving bike. But maybe too cheesy, since your death animation might be a disintegrate into ash aswell?

@AidanKD I like that description of a mount/dismount animation, not overly flashy but something quick and cool :smile:

@clone63 AoC is a fantasy universe where magic and gods are very real. How is it more "logic" with a walk-in summon rather than a magical summoning that you do/cast? It's certainly believable and logic in ashes universe, don't you think?

@Eaglewalker no official dates yet but my amateur guess would be late this year or early next.
  • Options
    I´d love if we could get rid of any summoning casts by mounts !
    In all games i played so far it felt annoing standing still for 1,5-3 sec and doing nothing, perhaps even cancelling the cast.... It´s just not emmersive, it creats a burden to even summon a mount.
    I´m sure it`s for most players nothing they even payed mutch or any attention to, but to me it´s one of the most stressfull things in MMORPGs. Rushing throw FF14/Lost Ark was pain, the reason u get dismounted for no reason u have to be idle while mounting. If i could use a *whistle* while runnning fine i dont need more.
    Elden Ring did a really nice job in that regard i got jealous after 1 clip just cause the mounting was so smooth.

PS: Dont argue with u dont have to rush the story, pls. I haven´t encountered a story which was fun to PLAY, all of them either boring story (Blade and Soul/Lost Ark) or i felt like why dont they just made a movie, i have nothing to do but read (FF14).
    Lyrienthena
    former Hardcore PvPer in multiple games Ranked in the Top 10
    dislikes QoL / Quality of Lazyness
    there is no "it´s to hard" only "u are to bad" <3
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I'm fine with ESO mount summoning. I just want to get on my mount quick to get to point A to B or get in and out of combat quick. No need for making it super immersive and wait out for your horse to come running...

EX at 1:40 seconds in on their more magical looking mounts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxAqGrEsq0
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We should pull out a red and white ball, toss it to the ground, and when it pops open a mount jumps out.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    We should pull out a red and white ball, toss it to the ground, and when it pops open a mount jumps out.

"Taxi Cab: I choose YOU!"

• Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Orym wrote: »
    or some lazy ass animation where you instantly pop onto the mount when summoned.
    Like in Elden Ring?

• Options

If someone told me there was a Pokemon based on a taxi cab (call it a Cabbit and give it bunny ears) I wouldn't even question it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

If someone told me there was a Pokemon based on a taxi cab (call it a Cabbit and give it bunny ears) I wouldn't even question it.

Can´t we have a serious conversation in a forum?
    Lyrienthena
    former Hardcore PvPer in multiple games Ranked in the Top 10
    dislikes QoL / Quality of Lazyness
    there is no "it´s to hard" only "u are to bad" <3
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I still prefer the Witcher 3 mount summon v. the mount summon where it just appears beneath my buh-tocks.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

No.
  • Options
    Psomopsoli wrote: »
    +- 3 sec cast . the player whistls and the mount comes to you and you jump into it.

3 sec cast is wayy too long. Needs to be less than a second. 3 seconds works in RPG's.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited May 2022

When ppl get serious in a forum, the possible outcomes (from the most likely to the least) are:

1. A flaming post war loaded with emotional crap,
    2. What appears to be more rational debate, but filled with pages of walls-of-texts that nobody bothers to read anymore, other than the few ppl already involved, may be.
    3. Troll invasion.
    4. jokes / gags / meme hijack. back to *not* serious mode.
    255. A fun, intellectually stimulating, benefiicial, rational, serious, deep & sophisticated conversation.

That being said, I'd agree whistle & mount is fine. (i.e. there's room for improvement, but doesn't bother me much)

In Ghost of Tsushima I thought the horse summon's great, it always comes running from BEHIND you. I've tried to spot the instant my horse pops out of thin air, but apparently the summon takes camera angle into account, and you can never *see* that instant.

But that's defintely pointless in an mmo, as others will be able to see your mount spawning out of thin air anyway. So I'd say just whistle & summon & don't bother.
  • Options

3 sec cast is wayy too long. Needs to be less than a second. 3 seconds works in RPG's.

3 seconds is good. Means there is no real way to mount up to avoid PvP.

I mean, 3 seconds does work in a number of MMORPG's, including LotRO as mentioned above.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think time to mount is going to need a lot of data to get right as it is greatly effected by a number of different factors from systems we don't have all the data on right now.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Such as: what distance can an enemy cover at full speed toward me during the time it takes to mount?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Such as: what distance can an enemy cover at full speed toward me during the time it takes to mount?

Also things like: Mount skills, pedigree differences (And how big a speed or catch up gap they'll create), how often the terrain and mob placements will make people get caught needing to sheath their weapon before their enemy can get to them, skill augments, how widely available any of these things are relative to class vs playstyle vs activity, the list really does go on.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

3 seconds is good. Means there is no real way to mount up to avoid PvP.

I mean, 3 seconds does work in a number of MMORPG's, including LotRO as mentioned above.

In ESO it's less than a second to mount up. But if you engage in combat there's about a 10-30 second cooldown until you're out of combat.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    OrymOrym Member
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    I kinda like how it is in BDO when you have to check in the mount at a stable to unsummon or switch mounts. I also like that you can park it anywhere but it should be a whistle to summon it back to you fast. It would also be nice with a follow command and if the mount could run away to avoid attacking mobs like they do in Conan Exiles.

The most annoying thing tho is that some places get clogged with tons of parked mounts.
  • Options

This is a thread about whether or not a character should take the time to whistle before a virtual butterfly gorilla lion creature appears out of thin air to be ridden as transportation.

Pridestalker_%28revised%29.png

I think I’ve already been more serious than the subject warrants.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    MaviodasMaviodas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Something different would be nice. I'm all for hardcore gameplay. Just like how ships have to be spawned from shore or a Port. I think you should have to spawn your mount at a City Stable, Freehold, or castle. And have it with you even if you dismount in the middle of the woods. It'll follow you until it dies, or you de-spawn it at another stable, etc etc. Just my thoughts, that would make it more realistic, make you care about your mount for a change, especially if its a rare mount, you might think twice before taking it into a high level area or an area known to have PKers. Just a thought. If not, A simple off screen summon like in the Witcher 3 would be cool.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not having a Stufferton in a stable. I have requested a better fantasy system to fit the ashes lore.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    edited May 2022
    I understand from the Wiki that a Mule can be slain, after its owner is, and so definitely persists. It would have to exist while dismounted, so you could load up gathered materials. Mules are Mounts in the Wiki, but from what I saw in Alpha streams, Mounts in general are definitely summons.