Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node Names (Idea, Question, and Suggestion all in one)

AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So we can name towns and such in nodes, but do the nodes themselves keep the same name? Would it be cool, or stupid, for different areas on different servers to simply have no name (since we've just come back from Sanctus) until someone develops the node, names the node, and then by extension the area?

It would lead to different servers literally having different names for the same geographical areas overall, if they did, which might feel really cool to some people and annoying to others (guides, videos, etc).

Even if this doesn't happen, I believe someone gets to choose the name of the node's Village or town? Curated list. Could we get an early submission form or something on the website to add to that list? Then people would get to submit them with a larger time window to curate them, and depending on how this is restricted, doing this early would prevent the flood of 'stupid joke names' at the appropriate time (e.g. you could only let backers submit names, or only allow one per month per account, etc)

I feel it would be nice to have at least some variation there, and if players can name towns anything (from a list) anyway and it isn't locked geographically, then 'Ullein' on one server might not be in the same place as 'Ullein' on another server, but I feel this would probably result in most players, maybe even Roleplayers, ending up referring to the town by the Node's name, and if that Node's name is set as it was in Alpha-1, entirely by Intrepid, then I feel like town names are just going to be overlooked.

I just like the idea of a Server Metro turning out to have some completely unique name submitted years before by some guild leader (I'm ambivalent on whether or not the Node area takes on this name, since that becomes complicated if a Metro falls and someone builds up a new village, for example, I can imagine it reverting to something like 'Riverlands North Region').

Do you care? Do you think you will call the 'Town' within Winstead node by its name instead of 'Winstead'? Any obvious abuse, if we assume that the people in charge of curating names have a long time to do it and aren't necessarily part of the main dev staff?
Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Could be that each Node has the archaic name from before the Apocalypse.
    Mayors can change it later.
    Different servers will have some different Node names.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The problem lies in that people use "node" for different concepts. Having a different name for the node area, the node settlement, and possibly the node zoi would just confuse people further who seem to have a tenuous grasp on what a "node" is. As of last info there will be a dropdown menu that will give a mayor various options to rename the node (as in the geographic area). What has not been clarified is if this is a one time thing at level 3, or if each successive mayor can choose a new name at each stage. Or whether the name reverts to a default name if the node loses a siege and is blasted back to zero as is the current plan. One thing you won't be getting is player named nodes.
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited February 2022
    I don't think name of nodes, villages should be subject to change. It would just be inconvenient for all the players on a server.

Lets say name of a node changed from A to B. A player X from node C asks someone a question whose answer would be node A. Now that person looks up node A but there is NO NODE A!

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. While it sounds exciting, it would be a pain in the ass for everyone other than the person who will be getting to name the node.

I mean why create complexities when there needs to be none.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What do you mean by “looks up Node A”??
    It may very well, be that any Node may change and be considerably different than it was before. Name(s) included.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The problem lies in that people use "node" for different concepts. Having a different name for the node area, the node settlement, and possibly the node zoi would just confuse people further who seem to have a tenuous grasp on what a "node" is. As of last info there will be a dropdown menu that will give a mayor various options to rename the node (as in the geographic area). What has not been clarified is if this is a one time thing at level 3, or if each successive mayor can choose a new name at each stage. Or whether the name reverts to a default name if the node loses a siege and is blasted back to zero as is the current plan. One thing you won't be getting is player named nodes.
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png

Thanks @unknownsystemerror, you always seem to know.

I was basing the post on that. Basically hoping that a few player names might make it through much earlier on, before the swarm of people with those types of names popped up and made it no longer worth Intrepid's time.

So, if I understand you correctly, using the last Alpha as example, the Mayor of Winstead would be able to rename Winstead to 'something else from a list' and this would change the entire thing, i.e. all references to 'Winstead' would change to 'New Name', and there won't actually be any confusion because the village itself doesn't have a separate name?

• SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited February 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    It may very well, be that any Node may change and be considerably different than it was before. Name(s) included.
    Lets assume Mayors can rename the node. Since this a game, every new Mayor would definitely change the name of the Node.

Elections are monthly event and there are 103 nodes. Its not necessary that the mayors of all the nodes will change due to hardcore guilds and their alliances mostly retaining their hold over some of the nodes. So lets say Mayors of 40-50% Node changes every month i.e. 40-52 new names.

Now the player base across the server have to re-learn the name of nodes. Well first of all they will need to find which nodes name changed. This will definitely be noticed when you have conversations cuz not everyone would know every name a node has had in the past.

Its a name. It is an identity of a node. I dunno if its importance should be rated below player names cuz afaik we wont be able to change our own name every month. I could list some of the issues this will cause or how it would detract from conversations but its not hard to figure out on your own. Just think you or your town/city has had its name changed and go from there.

You might think this issue is more pertaining to casuals but it would be worse for hardcore players cuz they will have more widespread concerns...and traders.

I am not saying that it will have some game breaking impact BUT it definitely doesnt have ANY upside to it and has a lot of potential to be annoying. As far as node change is concerned, that is a part of node progression and eventual sieging of it. No link between these two things.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Again, we can only go off of the limited information that has been provided until further clarifications are given. We know mayors will have the option to change the name of the node from a dropdown menu. We don't know if this is a one time thing when the node first "pops" to 3 and a government is formed. We don't know if every successive mayor has the option to change the name to something else on the list. We don't know if it is a one time thing at level 3, or can be changed at level 4, 5, and 6. Speculation, opinions, wants, and feedback are all fine. Just realize they have bigger fish to fry atm.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • I imagine you will see regions or some geography playing the larger role in talking to teammates about nodes. You probably have a lvl 6 node last for a year or 2 before changing as a result when im talking to people about anything less than a t6 node ill just say, the flood plains node (insert name) etc
  • Just realize they have bigger fish to fry atm.
    I realize that and as such have stated my opinion and thought process behind it.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Again, we can only go off of the limited information that has been provided until further clarifications are given. We know mayors will have the option to change the name of the node from a dropdown menu. We don't know if this is a one time thing when the node first "pops" to 3 and a government is formed. We don't know if every successive mayor has the option to change the name to something else on the list. We don't know if it is a one time thing at level 3, or can be changed at level 4, 5, and 6. Speculation, opinions, wants, and feedback are all fine. Just realize they have bigger fish to fry atm.

Yeah, thanks, I was specifically trying to verify if it was 'entire geographical area', I believe you tend to have more information than most due to being around longer in old Discord chats?

Unfortunately the references on the wiki LiveStream links talk about 'City', and it's not entirely clear if that would affect 'Geography' in the same way, but I found it interesting to think about. I'll just ask about it directly, if nothing else, if it's undecided but could go either way, this topic won't be useless later on.
    QuiQSilver wrote: »
    I imagine you will see regions or some geography playing the larger role in talking to teammates about nodes. You probably have a lvl 6 node last for a year or 2 before changing as a result when im talking to people about anything less than a t6 node ill just say, the flood plains node (insert name) etc

Yeah I considered this, but I noticed that if the geographical name is long enough like "Northern Flood Plains Node" and someone builds a Village or higher, I then have a good reason to talk about the two separately, to some extent. When there's just a camp, if I say 'I'm going to Northern Flood Plains', there's no real question about why I'm going there. If there's a town, there's a bit more distinction, and I'd be likely to say 'Mistmire'.

I'd figure the name of the node doesn't change just because the Mayor does, but that's a separate question too.