Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mount, pet, beast of burden, livestock

"Once these creatures are born, there is an element of raising them, animals must be raised from berth to adulthood and trained for their intended purposes. Either as a mount, a pet, a beast of burden or livestock.
You can specialize within the Animal Husbandry profession to one of the four creature types (mount, pet, beast of burden, livestock)." ~ https://asheshq.com/2022/02/25/development-update-february-25-2022/

"There are a multitude of activities which include feeding, cleaning the creatures, taking them out for practice rides, training them to fight monsters. This period is very important, because it will have the greatest influence on the resulting quality of the genetically determined stats of the creatures once they reach adulthood." ~ same place

Is anyone else getting overwhelmed in a sort of "too much data to compute" way when reading this? Sounds like in the end players can become certified animal breeders in real life (joking of course, hopefully)

Just reading only this sounds to me like this game is aiming at a much bigger scope than I thought it was.

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    sounds more like sim play than PvX action
  • Options
    "Once these creatures are born, there is an element of raising them, animals must be raised from berth to adulthood and trained for their intended purposes. Either as a mount, a pet, a beast of burden or livestock.
    You can specialize within the Animal Husbandry profession to one of the four creature types (mount, pet, beast of burden, livestock)." ~ https://asheshq.com/2022/02/25/development-update-february-25-2022/

"There are a multitude of activities which include feeding, cleaning the creatures, taking them out for practice rides, training them to fight monsters. This period is very important, because it will have the greatest influence on the resulting quality of the genetically determined stats of the creatures once they reach adulthood." ~ same place

Is anyone else getting overwhelmed in a sort of "too much data to compute" way when reading this? Sounds like in the end players can become certified animal breeders in real life (joking of course, hopefully)

Just reading only this sounds to me like this game is aiming at a much bigger scope than I thought it was.
    Caww wrote: »
    sounds more like sim play than PvX action

Exactly my thoughts! I was trying to remember the name of that one game where people just basically went online to roleplay as a normal human. It had the word "reality" in it or something like that. But yea AoC is starting to sound like a sim rather than a PvX
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    In-depth systems don't have to mean they're simulators! At the end of the day, Ashes of Creation is a video game intended for fun rather than education. Our developers will always keep that in mind when creating the systems within the game ^_^

While they may be complex, I wouldn't worry about them being so complex that they're simulator-like!

What do you find to be the perfect balance on a scale between very simple and simulator?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    What do you find to be the perfect balance on a scale between very simple and simulator?

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Chocobo_Raising

I shall hope.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sounds to me like the raising/training portion of animal husbandry will be a bunch of daily quests.
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the raising/training portion of animal husbandry will be a bunch of daily quests.

I mean... sure?

MMOs need timesinks and gates or the 'end product' happens too fast or just 'randomly on demand'.

There's other methods of 'throttling' but most of them fail to balance between players with more money or time, and those who have less.

It's the same reason why we have to do all the time consuming prep to do any smelting.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the complexity. Those who don't like it can skip it, right?
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

I mean... sure?

MMOs need timesinks and gates or the 'end product' happens too fast or just 'randomly on demand'.

There's other methods of 'throttling' but most of them fail to balance between players with more money or time, and those who have less.

It's the same reason why we have to do all the time consuming prep to do any smelting.

Not really complaining about it, I never had the same gripes about dailies that lots of other players had. My point is that, despite how complex Steven Sharif makes it out to be, it will likely be quite mundane.

• Options

I mean... sure?

Not really complaining about it, I never had the same gripes about dailies that lots of other players had. My point is that, despite how complex Steven Sharif makes it out to be, it will likely be quite mundane.

Hm, maybe. I find that I do often make the mistake of assuming complexity equal to other games, when it comes to Ashes, but, as partially implied by this thread, not everyone likes those, so I guess we'll have to see where Intrepid is aiming for on the 'complexity' scale.

Similarly, I guess someone like me could consider something like BDO's farming 'mundane' despite it being functionally complex, because it's both.

I'll take 'complex and mundane', honestly.

• Options

I mean... sure?

Hm, maybe. I find that I do often make the mistake of assuming complexity equal to other games, when it comes to Ashes, but, as partially implied by this thread, not everyone likes those, so I guess we'll have to see where Intrepid is aiming for on the 'complexity' scale.

Similarly, I guess someone like me could consider something like BDO's farming 'mundane' despite it being functionally complex, because it's both.

I'll take 'complex and mundane', honestly.

I suppose complex and mundane aren't mutually exclusive.
    I'll be more in detail of what I had in mind because I've seen your forum posts and know you like to get into details :)
    "There are a multitude of activities which include feeding, cleaning the creatures, taking them out for practice rides, training them to fight monsters."

To me this means that, when raising a specific animal, you will have routine (likely daily) choices on what to do.

Feeding will be a simple process where you just select the food you would like to give it. Each food has different types (fish, meat, fruit, vegetable) and quality. The animal you're feeding will have minimum requirements, and a favorite type. Pigs might not care about what they eat (you can give them scrap fruit/fish and they wont care) but a dragon would only want the best meat. The quality of food you feed your animals also affects its growth rate.

Cleaning would be an optional daily quest that you can opt to do/not do depending on how much work you feel like doing that day. Maybe you don't clean your livestock pens often, because the pigs won't care either way. On the other hand, once you get a chance to raise a dragon, you're probably setting an alarm to make sure you get it done right on time. Cleaning would affect growth rates and happiness/loyalty levels.

Training depends on what you would like your animal to do. If you want a horse built for speed, you take it on practice rides daily. If you want to fight while on your horse, you take it out to combat. If you have a dragon that you would like to hold its own in a battle, you take it out somewhere it can hunt on its own. Maybe you can train an animal multiple times a day, and you have to decide where to allocate its time.

These systems might interact some. Like maybe lots of high-speed activities would benefit from a certain food, or a dragon's flame breath does more damage if you feed it spicy foods. Maybe pigs are happier with a dirty pen, so you shouldn't clean them.

The reality of it is you log in, and you have three or four dailies that'll take 30 minutes total. Dedicated players might train all 30 of their horses to sell off to a guild, but somebody looking for easy profit just leaves scrap food for their pigs and never cleans out their stalls.

Plenty of complexity, but fairly mundane in practice.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2022

I mean... sure?

Of course animal husbandry will be mundane.

How could it possibly not be?

I mean, all you are doing is breeding a pair of animals, and raising the resulting offspring. This is the definition of mundane, imo.