Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Your word is everything at AoC ( Reputation idea for Quests,RP,daily life)

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited March 2022 in General Discussion
An honest reputation MMO player is guaranteed to deliver what he says, while an MMO player with a dishonest reputation will not.

If your word reputation in AoC could be measured then some players might be worthy to apply to some quests and you would also know which player not to watch out for when giving quests.

For example:
Trade Missions: If you need a merchant to take your order from city A to B and you had to choose between several merchants then the reputation of their success with that specific mission could be of great help in knowing which one is worthy.

Politics: When you establish socio-commercial relationships with other nodes, you could know if the person/node with whom you are going to establish relationships is going to be trustworthy and will meet the demands that your node may have in the commercial/economic field.

War / pvp: If you need support from an alliance or pvp guild they require some prior incentive as a guarantee, then knowing the reputation of that guild / alliance you would know if they could meet your demands and you would be willing to pay the guarantee.

How could your word get a good/bad reputation?

Fulfilling specific missions for that content.

For example:
-A mission where it is requested that in 20 minutes you bring certain materials from another node, that node is very far away and it carries a certain risk to go there, so if someone dares to apply to that mission that person is responsible if reputation has negative or positive points.

-There would be missions of lower or higher reputation that only the most capable could fulfill, therefore a differentiation would be forged between people who CAN carry out certain missions and those who CANNOT.

Your missions can't be measured by what you say since EVERYONE can be a saint in an MMO but yes, by what you do,in this way, it would really be known by the completed achievements who is HONEST/ and with that, missions of great importance could be granted (legendary missions perhaps?).

Reputation earning could apply to individual characters as well as guilds or nodes, so if a guild or node wants a good reputation it will need people with good reputations to push them down the path of good reputation.
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    What about people who fully intend to keep their word and complete the task, but get PKed on the way and fail? Seems like with this logic, the system would give the person a demerit because of another player's actions?
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    There would have to be ways to guard against people helping each other "pump-up" their rep scores or repair their rep scores after screwing-over somebody.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    An honest reputation MMO player is guaranteed to deliver what he says, while an MMO player with a dishonest reputation will not.
    This kind of reputation can not be quantified in game.

If I manage to complete all of those missions you talk about, I am still able to tell you that I will protect your caravan, but will instead give your location to friends and refuse to fight.

Your system for measuring "reputation" is really just a faction grind with a different name.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Snale wrote: »
    What about people who fully intend to keep their word and complete the task, but get PKed on the way and fail? Seems like with this logic, the system would give the person a demerit because of another player's actions?

Sure, that would be within the terms of "Can you or can't you"? , for that there will be missions of lower or higher risk , and of course the people who could overcome those PK obstacles would be the ones with the highest reputation.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Noaani wrote: »

If I manage to complete all of those missions you talk about, I am still able to tell you that I will protect your caravan, but will instead give your location to friends and refuse to fight.

Your system for measuring "reputation" is really just a faction grind with a different name.

In that case, the reputation of the hired person would decline dramatically and everyone would know that they should never be hired.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    In this case, the player loses his things (let's say)
    And there is no penalty...

I absolutely agree with @Noaani
    dwkha4udfkfp.png
    WikiWiki Discord
    I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
    ~Wiki Curator, SensetiveTwink

• Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    edited March 2022
    Yeah I don't know. I don't think a social credit score will be helpful or prevent people from doing whatever they want to do, nor do I think it would be a useful indicator when deciding who to deal with.

Seems to me like it would just benefit lucky people and/or classes that can avoid PKs.

You could definitely have a situation where someone who fully intends on being an honorable player gets real unlucky with PvP. That system would punish them for their bad fortune, leading to less opportunities and a lower social standing than they should have.
  • Options

In that case, the reputation of the hired person would decline dramatically and everyone would know that they should never be hired.

How would their reputation decline?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

by contract, the contract of the employer and the employee.
    If I hire someone to ensure the proper development of what I need, I would have clauses such as:

-Pay at the end of work
    -Pay 50% at the beginning and the other 50% at the end.
    -Only give reputation+ if the contract is fulfilled 100%
    -Etc

If there will be trade missions with caravans, I think it would be interesting to hire bodyguards or security or people who can ensure good transit for my caravan, for that reason a contract with a person with a reputation that suits my needs would be good.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options

If I hire someone to ensure the proper development of what I need, I would have clauses such as:

-Pay at the end of work
    -Etc

If there will be trade missions with caravans, I think it would be interesting to hire bodyguards or security or people who can ensure good transit for my caravan, for that reason a contract with a person with a reputation that suits my needs would be good.

Do you realize both how hard this system would be to develop, and how easy it would be to abuse?

Player reputation is not something Intrepid should get involved in.
  • Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    I 100% would rather reputation be word of mouth than an automated system that is easily abused.
  • Options
    Snale wrote: »
    I 100% would rather reputation be word of mouth than an automated system that is easily abused.

That reputation would be only for very special missions, or for some style of advanced RP, not necessarily for the whole game but of course if you want to complete those "specific missions" or "advanced RP" you should have a very good reputation.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options

-Pay at the end of work
    -Etc

Do you realize both how hard this system would be to develop, and how easy it would be to abuse?

Well, it's just an idea since I was doing a mission in another game and a person who needed help asked me if I was qualified to do that mission and if I could help him.

I was not qualified, anyway I helped him and we lost everything. :)
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options

-Pay at the end of work
    -Etc

Well, it's just an idea since I was doing a mission in another game and a person who needed help asked me if I was qualified to do that mission and if I could help him.

I was not qualified, anyway I helped him and we lost everything. :)

There are plenty of ways of doing this that do not need player reputation to attempt to be quantified.

I'm not at all against the idea of needing to be qualified for quests, just against the idea of Intrepid having anything to do with player reputation.
  • Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    That reputation would be only for very special missions, or for some style of advanced RP, not necessarily for the whole game but of course if you want to complete those "specific missions" or "advanced RP" you should have a very good reputation.

That's just a rep grind with special quests at the end, which I'm fine with.

What I'm against is an automated social standing score system which seemed to me to be your idea in your original post. Sorry if I misunderstood.
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Active servers are supposed to have a little over 10k players, with regions also splitting that population number. I would hope word of mouth would be enough for this reputation, and not need a game mechanic.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Goalid wrote: »
    Active servers are supposed to have a little over 10k players, with regions also splitting that population number. I would hope word of mouth would be enough for this reputation, and not need a game mechanic.

I agree with this. We don't need a mechanic to do this. Word of mouth is very much enough.
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Reminds me of Noto-Pks from Ultima Online. Worst than even PKs because you at least saw those coming. These "Good" guys would never hesitate to stab you in the back regardless of the circumstances if it would help their score.

I think such a system would only add these fake "good" guys in any game. In a persistant world with no cross-realm dungeons/raids people would naturally form a reputation because you will see them again and again. No need to add any in game system for it since it will never be anything else than a rep-farm.