Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

spell ideas

So a little while back, i rewatched "justice league: dark". And there is a fight scene in it, with some nice spells. A lot of it, would be dark magic, which i recalled the game had. Maybe they changed it or i remember wrong. But there are blocks, damage. changing a damage skill from aoe to beam. One that could be used as a hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqQoWSofuWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auv_E72xP1E

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I don't think there are "dark magic" based spells for either players or NPCs but they do use the term "corruption" for the opposite of good-based magics and for NPCs.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I would really like the same WOAH vibe as the scene with Dumbledore and Voldemort fighting in Order of the Phoenix. Sound design is also extremely important. It can make a single small spell feel very powerful.

Something i think you can take from video below is that Dumbledore is responding to whatever spells Voldemort is trying to cast on him. The glass turning into sand etc. Love that!

v=eAHDS5Rn4kg"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=eAHDS5Rn4kg[/url]
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited March 2022
    I would really like the same WOAH vibe as the scene with Dumbledore and Voldemort fighting in Order of the Phoenix. Sound design is also extremely important. It can make a single small spell feel very powerful.

Something i think you can take from video below is that Dumbledore is responding to whatever spells Voldemort is trying to cast on him. The glass turning into sand etc. Love that!

v=eAHDS5Rn4kg"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=eAHDS5Rn4kg[/url]

I loved this scene so so much. You're SO right about sound design. This is actually the first time I've watched that with headphones rather than speakers and it was epic!

I'm loving this thread everyone. Keep these great ideas coming! What other spells would you love to see imagined in the world of Verra?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    @Vaknar I do like how the recent Dev Discussions are done. It feels less like a community retention and engagement thingy and more focused on feedback on systems that Intrepid can use for their decision making process.

So since you seem to want more input on spells, maybe that´s a good way the community can contribute through the dev discussion format.
    Maybe have discussions around very focused combat themes, like mage aoes or ranger traps and their mechanics/interactions.
    The mmo sphere is very broad and divers in terms of combat, i think there is surely some stuff a big community can highlight, that a dev team was not aware of previously.

Maybe this is planned in the comming months as a feedback format rather than idea format, when we actually see the new combat iteration, but im not sure how far out that is.

Also discord recently introduced a thread system that can be used for more focused and time limited discussions. Maybe thats a good way to bounce ideas back and forth around those topics.

This might be irrelevant and how Intrepid wants to do stuff, but i want to voice this nevertheless, maybe just ignore the following point.
    I do think linear forum threads might not be the best way to get a good idea over the distribution of community sentiment around topics. The first few comments get the most exposure and likes and the rest of the comments are burried. You hardly get any idea on stuff that gets posted later. This might also depress engagement after a few days. It´s also not transparant on what get´s picked up and handed over to the design team.
    So maybe gather the most interesting stuff after the discussion is closed after 2 weeks and have people vote on them through google forms? Some A/B testing, some ranking, some feedback.
    I think it could help getting a more precise picture without too much effort.