Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Summoners💀

KroniicTooKraftyKroniicTooKrafty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
First and foremost I will be maining this class in ashes but what would you guys like to see this class have? How can intrepid make this class unique from other MMO'S with the same class? I also have a side question for anyone with info on it.. we were told (im pretty sure from my research) that the secondary archetype is going to determine what you can summon? Unless I have that wrong? So basically if you choose a Rouge for your secondary Class, you can summon shadow- like creatures/monsters? I know it's early too be talking about this but the hype just has me thinking lmao.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes. Most likely Summoner/Rogues will have Shadow-related minions among their options for things to Summon.
  • Options
    There are so many things that the devs could do with summoner, which is what makes it so interesting to me. I do want baseline summoner to be exciting on its own, though, and not necessarily something I need to combine with a secondary archetype to get a compelling summon.

Leave the animals to beastmaster, brood warden sounds like insects, Enchanter could possibly have a selection of sirens, necro - zobie/ghost, shadowmancer - shadow creature, spellmancer – rock/fire/water elementals, wildblade – clearly different blade forms, but what does that leave the standard summoner or conjurer? Non-elemental spirits, I guess? There is still a lot range and room for creativity within that category.

Of course all of this is just me guessing, but I eagerly await official updates.
    kcp9lk8esgnj.png

• Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are so many things that the devs could do with summoner, which is what makes it so interesting to me. I do want baseline summoner to be exciting on its own, though, and not necessarily something I need to combine with a secondary archetype to get a compelling summon.

Leave the animals to beastmaster, brood warden sounds like insects, Enchanter could possibly have a selection of sirens, necro - zobie/ghost, shadowmancer - shadow creature, spellmancer – rock/fire/water elementals, wildblade – clearly different blade forms, but what does that leave the standard summoner or conjurer? Non-elemental spirits, I guess? There is still a lot range and room for creativity within that category.

Of course all of this is just me guessing, but I eagerly await official updates.

There are so many possibilities that I worry that the official updates will let down a lot of people. I've seen tons of people get excited about the class name "necromancer" and start going crazy with ideas, but we really don't know anything. They could live up to the excitement, or it they could be a huge letdown.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shoelid wrote: »

There are so many possibilities that I worry that the official updates will let down a lot of people. I've seen tons of people get excited about the class name "necromancer" and start going crazy with ideas, but we really don't know anything. They could live up to the excitement, or it they could be a huge letdown.

Well, I both agree and disagree with you. I agree a lot of people will be initially let down depending on what they say and in what order they choose to address the class features. If they talk about summons looks first and show case the summon creator alongside the animal husbandry creator, I think it'll have a huge initially positive impact. I think the animal husbandry customization options that will inevitably effect summon creation options will please many people and it's the low hanging fruit.

Most of the data on player demands and expectations on the forums various 'what class do you want to play' threads is fairly superficial and not really about how the class will be executed precisely. However from my own analysis of a lot of data along with Azherae's separate analysis she has posted in the past, there is some DECENT consensus to be had on how the class should work. Here is a fairly indepth post on that topic. https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/50101/summoner-desire-compilation-and-analysis-conversion

Obviously according to that same thread there are disagreements in how things should be executed. But there is some clear design decisions and systems implementation choices Steven and Intrepid could make in how to implement this class that would please the vast majority of summoners according to current data.

I think class augmentation is going to be the main deciding factor though. Not how the archtype mechanically plays, not how it's summons look, but what is even possible for them to do. I feel like Summoner will be the MOST affected archtype depending on augments. Depending on how they choose to implement them relative to summon abilities and caster abilities, that will be the main thing that will 'let people down' (or cause great clamor.)

We won't have a good idea of how it'll make people feel until they choose to reveal more about augments and honestly I think summoner is one of the key things holding back Steven from giving examples about that. He needs a lot decided and ready ahead of time before he starts giving more examples on augments as a generality. Without a replacement for Jeff I think that's a lot less likely to happen any time soon.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    JustVine wrote: »
    Shoelid wrote: »

I think class augmentation is going to be the main deciding factor though. Not how the archtype mechanically plays, not how it's summons look, but what is even possible for them to do. I feel like Summoner will be the MOST affected archtype depending on augments. Depending on how they choose to implement them relative to summon abilities and caster abilities, that will be the main thing that will 'let people down' (or cause great clamor.)

We won't have a good idea of how it'll make people feel until they choose to reveal more about augments and honestly I think summoner is one of the key things holding back Steven from giving examples about that. He needs a lot decided and ready ahead of time before he starts giving more examples on augments as a generality. Without a replacement for Jeff I think that's a lot less likely to happen any time soon.

100% agree with you here. I've seen crazy ideas as for what each summoner class should do, and all of it seems outside the bounds of what the normal archetype system is meant for. I don't think the eventual reveal will be good or bad, I just don't think it'll be what people expect. That means, of course, that the people who have significant expectations will be let down initially but will warm up to it.

It seems similar to the Tulnar to me. There's a great idea and some vague promises, but the fact that nothing concrete has been shown is evidence to me that they don't know exactly what to do with it. I agree that we won't get much in that direction until Jeffrey Bard's replacement is doing that work.
  • Options
    ZettelboxZettelbox Member
    edited April 2022
    [...] brood warden sounds like insects [...]
    I hope they dont only use huge Bugs/Insects but small ones (maybe in Swarms) aswell.
    IF they summon Insects that is.
    Cant wait for more informations about all the Classes but especially about the Summoner. <3
  • Options
    REGEREGE Member
    I hope that beastmaster has animals, Especially if they are wolves it would be cool.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    REGE wrote: »
    I hope that beastmaster has animals, Especially if they are wolves it would be cool.

Pretty sure animal mobs will be the generic default given the plans for animal husbandry system being able to be used for summons skins. We don't have too many details about it but here is a list of confirmed summons and features.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Pets#Summoner_summons
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw