Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Disappointed

CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
A week delay and a 40 minute video, and all we got was an overhauled character creator. Anyone else a little disappointed that this is all we got as an update?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nope.
    Welcome to alpha open development.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Was a good showcase overall. We as a community probably need to temper our expectations whenever a delay comes.
  • Options
    That character creator was intense and showcased several complicated and unique features that felt awesome to see and I know I and much of the community is excited about laying our hands on it. Remember that while they showcased the character creator this month that doesn't mean that for the last 3 months they have only worked on the creator. They have multiple teams, each one focused on their respective task, keep that in mind when they give us awesome character creator details it doesn't mean that we won't get more awesome details regarding other things next month. Also keep in mind that IS doesn't have amazon level funding and therefore will produce much slower especially with their focus on quality being their mantra.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited April 2022
    I was not unhappy with the content of the Developer's Update today.

If Intrepid were to stop work on the Character Creator and implement what they have on today's stream (3/31/22) , it still outshines many MMOs out there.

Lucky for players, there's still work to be done on it (e.g. improve the UI, add muscle features, and so on).

To be honest, I'm starting to get worried about my personal time sink in creating a character. xD

Maybe there's a chance Intrepid can allow Alpha/Beta testers to save a cosmetic template (one can only dream).
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    People feel disappointed because their expectations aren't tempered. There's no reason to believe the Alpha Two will be launched within the next 6 months. No spot tests, no in depth systems displayed, so no chance for Alpha two. Intrepid needs to take their time to deliver a quality game, unfortunately we may be almost a year away from A2.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    For record the entire stream was an hour and a half so it ran over the user schedule - but also, just a 40 minute video? That's *massive* - even if the video the most ground breaking feature.

But seeing the quality they have put into something like a character creator - and expanding it into other systems in the game? FF14 retainers is the only other use of a creator in a game i've personally seen - and the idea that it will expand into animal husbandry and possibly more? That's pretty damn awesome.
  • Options
    people get disapoint where they dont give date on alpha 2 tbh lol
    dont expect a date on that imto till july/august im guessing it be like november
  • Options
    So uhh. I never once expected an alpha 2 date. Just saying that a revamped character creator that will probably be changed and revamped again before launch isn't what i was looking forward to.

What i did hope for was maybe crafting news.
  • Options
    So uhh. I never once expected an alpha 2 date. Just saying that a revamped character creator that will probably be changed and revamped again before launch isn't what i was looking forward to.

It's been quite well known information that the Character Creator would be very likely to be shown this month as it didn't make last month so they teased it for this month.
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member

Surely that's your fault. They said several times that this month's update will contain the character creator. It's also a huge part of the game for a lot of people. If you don't read anything about the updates, you can't be disappointed.

Also, it may not look like 'enough' on the surface level to some people. But this character creation has an insane amount going on behind the scenes and it takes a whole lot of work to make something like this.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack

So, if you don't care about the character creator which according to you "will probably be changed and revamped again before launch", why would any other news/footage they share not be changed and revamped as well, thus making that news/footage "useless" as well?
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    LOL you can't be serious, right? Are you actually serious? Do you realize how much development work goes into building a full-fledged character creator? They needed an extra week to make sure it was in a good state to showcase. Why is that such a problem? The game is still in development, it's gonna be a while friend. If a 1 week delay is too much for you, I'd recommend just putting AoC out of your mind and checking back in a year or so.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited April 2022
    Yeah
    Speak for yourself there dude

I think that character creator looks crazy. If every race has that level of detail and control, and the tulnar have even more than the rest, it really would top everything else on the market.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Waiting since 2016 for AOC has taught me atleast one thing.

Be happy with the small things, because that may be all you will get for months in terms of information/content.

If you can't do this, then it's going to be a rough life following any game in development.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Nope.

Sounds like your disappointment is based on your expectations. Might be worth understanding the nature of your expectations before laying them at anyone else’s feet as if they did something to you.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean…the update is typically the last Friday of the month.
    Not really much of a delay. And, we knew it was for the Character Creator.
    We’ve been waiting to see it for a couple of months…and…it was better than we expected it would be for first pass demo.
  • Options
    I thought the character creator was very ambitious. They didn’t just go for good, they are shooting for best. The things players will come up with is sure to be crazy, and original.

So no, I was not disappointed.
  • Options
    meedxmeedx Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Intrepid said they want to break the mould of false promises and actually deliver and that's seemingly what they're doing.
    Them showing off some amazing work in a game aspect that isn't your main focus shouldn't leave you disappointed, you'll still be making a character and its still relevant to you.

I have no interest in crafting or detailed character development but that shouldn't mean I would be sad that it's not pvp content being shown which would be my preference.

• Options
    The fanboy posts are strong with this one aint they? Lol lovin all the hate posts. Lets stir the pot more.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't watch the updates anymore. I wait to see what we get at the end. I do try to give opinions on the forums when asked, usually read others opinions on the livestreams.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I appreciate the largely positive and constructive conversing happening in this thread. Obviously, this topic is going to be a little spicy here on the forums.

With that said, I'll stick this here as well. Disappointment is defined as "sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one's hopes or expectations."

I highly encourage you to stay tuned to our socials if you're excited about the game we're making, as we often try to help people when it comes to understanding what to expect from our development updates ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    To the OP if you can't enjoy the recent monthly update, you are probably better off not following because it won't do you any good to follow. The game will still come out whenever it does so give it another year and check the progress maybe.
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    j8gikss0sypl.jpg

Needs more fans. I am disappointed.
  • Options
    Nope! Loved seeing the options in the character creator. Was happy with it