Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please stop the FOMO cosmetic shop

GrimseetheGrimseethe Member
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
I would like to ask you to bring back every cosmetic item from your monthly store, since the beginning.
All that effort into making these cosmetics and only a fraction of players are buying them.
Don't you want more players to enjoy your work.
Just to be clear I can afford these cosmetics even monthly, but I don't buy them on principle.
All I'm asking is that you bring them back and make them permanent additions to the store.
If you do this I will in time buy every single cosmetics you have made, making you thousands from myself alone.
I've been talking to alot of people about this and they agree.
You would make so much money, people aren't buying them because they hate FOMO.
But separate from the financial benefits of this, think of the players.
As gamers yourselves can you honestly say you'd be happy with this if you were a gamer/customer.
Ideally we would be able to earn everything, but at least let us buy it without a time limit.

Imagine you're a new player and you see someone on a cool mount, you ask them how they got and they explain that you need to clear a raid and in that raid there is a secret quest that leads to getting this mount.
Or.. " I bought it you can't it now"
Or " I logged in on this day and we all got one, you can't get it now".
The latter shuts the player down and gives them nothing to look forward to, nothing to trive towards.

Please consider it.

Comments

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2022
    I would like to ask you to bring back every cosmetic item from your monthly store, since the beginning.

Pretty sure that's a good way for Intrepid to get sued seeing as they've stated numerous times the previous cosmetics are one and done.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have bought only one all these years. Why are you freaking out?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Steven like many of us likes exclusive items. Not everyone needs everything.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Huh - has it been a month already? We can almost start setting out clocks by these requests.

No, btw. Contrary to popular belief FOMO is a consumer sentiment not a merchant responsibility.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics#Cosmetic_store
    Cash shop cosmetics will offer a diverse selection of unique looks.[8]

I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way.[5] – Steven Sharif
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I remember for a while in L2 they had this solo 25x25 maze you could do once a day for reward coins. I ground through it daily for several months to get a hat, an academic mortar board hat, maybe the only one on my server.

Then that Thanksgiving they gave hundreds of them away in a pumpkin popping event, and you saw them all over and I was unhappy.

Moral of this story: If someone gets a rare item, don't make it common! So sorry @Grimseethe , I don't like your idea, not at all.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2022
    Please stop the "please stop the cosmetic shop" threads.

All of you misconstrue what FOMO is, what the cash-shop is for and why it runs the way it does, and no new ideas or intelligent perspectives are added to the conversation that has been had hundreds of time before.

If you can't cope, go see a therapist and stop whining. You can't have it all. Suck it up. Disappear.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    The content produced for the cosmetic shop would still be developed because all of these assets are being created for use in the game world, not for the purpose of selling them.

They’re being offered as incentives to continue financial support, but if they weren’t, you’d still be seeing these styles on creatures and NPCs. They’re not meant to be widespread looks.

Are the prices steep? Somewhat, unfortunately most of these are about market-standard prices on digital products, which are high on their own. Are they FOMO? Yes, they qualify as using a fear-of-missing-out tactic, but since the intent is that they be rare and not commonly seen, it can sort of be justified.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here are my reasons for not buying monthly cosmetics. There are going to be many cosmetic items, mounts, ships, pets, and other various items that we will achieve through our adventures through Verra that will look every bit as good as the purchased items, this has been quoted by Steven many times with some examples being shown. Though they do not actually want to show too many of the in-game achievable items as they want them to be a surprise.

From my personal perspective if I see someone with a purchased cosmetic I will barely give it a second glance however if I see something that was achieved in-game and I like it I will be curious as to how to obtain it myself. thus there is a drive to play the game and obtain said item/cosmetic. Perhaps I am just immune to FOMO as I honestly do not feel like I am missing out on anything.

Don't get me wrong the monthly cosmetics look fantastic but I always tell myself there will be just as good if not better in-game achievable items and those mean far more to me than any cosmetic I opened my wallet for.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    Varkun wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong the monthly cosmetics look fantastic but I always tell myself there will be just as good if not better in-game achievable items and those mean far more to me than any cosmetic I opened my wallet for.

This especially. While it’ll be cool to look like a mob from a specific dungeon in a specific node during a specific event (just think of the very purple edgy stuff we got one month last year), that’s really just a RP flavor. It doesn’t indicate skill, or a time investment, just money spent at a specific time. In game where you either pay up or look like trash, I’d be concerned about the cosmetics, but I trust the team to make a game that they themselves would enjoy playing, and half the fun of playing is showing off what you’ve accomplished.
  • Options
    Very sad replies, thanks for reading anyway, just a shame I couldn't explain the importance of what I'm asking well enough.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited April 2022
    "Just found out about Ashes and the monthly pre-order cosmetics ... but the one I really wanted already passed."

"Maybe if I post a FOMO rant in the forums they'll let me buy it ... despite the pre-order rulesets in place."
  • Options
    I don't care about the FOMO just stop the whole cosmetic shop
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kids stealing other kids enjoyment? While you might not like the shop or the cosmetics, it is a pleasure to some. Even though we have had issues around actual applications for skins and stuff, when you want to detach and drift on imagination you can look through the catalogue and see a vibrant society with many facets, even if some skins are seen more than others.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »

um, this game may not be for you.

filtered by the cosmetic shop :D
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »

You can talk to Steven about funding the game, couple hundred millions ought to suffice for some time.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    By the time the game propagates out to a full server you will have no idea or care where everyone's cosmetics came from, just that you like what you are sporting.

P.S. Let the rest of us help pay for the game, really, its OK, just sit back and relax, we'll take it from here, no problem.
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Get over yourself, this is the way it is, the entitlement over these cosmetics is wild. Sure we missed out on cosmetics because we didn't know about the game earlier but it's for the benefit of the early backers.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The lack of sympathy towards people who just want to throw money at the company and hate the fact that they already missed out on great designs is both not shocking at all and should totally be expected of the community at this point.

'Not the merchants responsibility', sure. Steven is perfectly free to let money keep sitting on the table and lock content that would otherwise sell more units by a permanent time gate long term. On the other hand nothing is stopping him from dropping the current policy for future releases. It's a customers right to tell a company when they are being idiots leaving money on the table for literally no reason other than 'tradition'. Free trade and bad approaches to discourse go both ways in a customer/seller relationship.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I still haven’t seen anything that I felt like I had to have. I liked that Owl mount, but with my planned character being a Vek it didn’t seem like a great fit. I really hope they get away from dwarves and elves for a bit and give us some great Orc centric designs.

I suppose it would suck to miss something you really wanted, but something else will come out that’s awesome too. Just look at spud. One of their best pets yet.
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    The lack of sympathy towards people who just want to throw money at the company and hate the fact that they already missed out on great designs is both not shocking at all and should totally be expected of the community at this point.

'Not the merchants responsibility', sure. Steven is perfectly free to let money keep sitting on the table and lock content that would otherwise sell more units by a permanent time gate long term. On the other hand nothing is stopping him from dropping the current policy for future releases. It's a customers right to tell a company when they are being idiots leaving money on the table for literally no reason other than 'tradition'. Free trade and bad approaches to discourse go both ways in a customer/seller relationship.

Issue is not whether or not you believe one is wrong or right way to do it. The fact is they already committeed to the fact that they are exlusive. Once that's been said going backwards on it would be far worse hence the critism of OP post. It's not about whether it was good or bad , it's the fact they are asking to take away something from people that already bought in.
  • Options
    Right but you could just, stop making new things exclusive and keep exclusivity for old stuff....

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Right but you could just, stop making new things exclusive and keep exclusivity for old stuff....

Then it loses all value and there is no reason to continue. Since you can't use the items, if it's not exclusive, then there is no reason to buy it. You would wait until you can play the game to buy what you want to play with.

Would you rather have the monthly option or no option at all?
  • Options

they could, but that's not what OP asked for and solves nothing they have asked for which is to buy the previous cosmetics.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The biggest argument I've heard (from Jahlon) for changing the shop model is that Intrepid stands to earn much more money by allowing more people to make smaller purchases
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Then it loses all value and there is no reason to continue. Since you can't use the items, if it's not exclusive, then there is no reason to buy it. You would wait until you can play the game to buy what you want to play with.

I don't see how it has no value. You are preordering a product. You will receive a product. You will be supporting the game

• Options
    i cant say a shop is unfair, but the fact that i cant get items simply cause i wasnt aware the game even existed or didnt have money years before the game even released is not a good concept.
    and the people i know agree, hell even a few of em refuse to get into ashes cause of it.
    the main argument being "why do i wanna play a game that has 50 of each cosmetic i cant even get anymore when it hasnt even launched? that just sounds like a waste of time.."
  • Options
    i cant say a shop is unfair, but the fact that i cant get items simply cause i wasnt aware the game even existed or didnt have money years before the game even released is not a good concept.
    and the people i know agree, hell even a few of em refuse to get into ashes cause of it.
    the main argument being "why do i wanna play a game that has 50 of each cosmetic i cant even get anymore when it hasnt even launched? that just sounds like a waste of time.."

If your friends idea of content is whats in a cash shop then I weep for the future of gaming.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options

I don't see how it has no value. You are preordering a product. You will receive a product. You will be supporting the game

Some people buy an item because it is exclusive. They want something no one else has so they purchase it. If they were to just resell it and let everyone have access to that exclusive item ot will feel bad for the person who bought it thinking it was exclusive.

Making something exclusive gives it that value. If you remove the value of it being exclusive then it will devalue that item.

I get both sides but it was the choice for model. If you really like something then probably buy it. It's been a business model for a lot of games over a long time. Pros and Cons of any business and they already decided. It would not look good for them to go back on that.

All I can suggest is buy it if you really want it
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    The biggest argument I've heard (from Jahlon) for changing the shop model is that Intrepid stands to earn much more money by allowing more people to make smaller purchases

people will be able to do that when the game releases and the cash shop is live and uses the ember currency and people can buy as much or as little of them as they like to redeem on cosmetics.

wbauorbolxt1.png