Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Creation Release.

SathragoSathrago Member
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
As was recently discussed, they plan to let players get their hands on the character creator before the game fully releases with the intent of letting people take their time creating the character they want. Now, my reason for making this thread is simple. I want to know if this will be in tandem with reserving your character name. Do you see the issue?

If we are supposed to reserve the character name at the same time that we customize a character then we are not fixing part of the issue that is caused on release.

Now, the best solution I could think up (since im not sure they have addressed this particular issue) is that your character's customizations are not locked after securing the name for it. Until you login for the first time with a character (or hit a confirmation option to lock it in) it can be freely customized. This still has a race for name reservation but allows those that did race to customize their character and fully enjoy all the time spent personalizing it like everyone else does.

Let me know what ya'll think.
5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    edited April 2022
    Somebody posted that the Character Creator will be available in game after the initial toon is made, not things like race/class but the aesthetics. Seems like Name, Race & Class will be the focus and the rest adjusted over time to your liking.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    We will be creating character templates.
    The character templates are not locked to character names.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Another thing you need to remember. You will have limited character creation options during launch. Meaning that even if you created 10 different character templates, you most likely will only be creating a single character on a single server for the first week (weeks) of launch. They have not said how restrictive they are going to be yet, just that it will be that way.

The developers intend to carefully manage server populations via the use of character creation throttles to avoid the need to merge servers.[7][9] There may be queues to get into high population servers, but the aim is to avoid excessively long queues.[8]
    Part of the equation of essentially watching to make sure that we don't over populate the server selection, but at the same time making sure that there's not a queue system in place that's so long it's detrimental to the concurrency of the player's will to play so to speak. It's a tough balancing act.[8] – Steven Sharif
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Coolio. Love the plan. Cheers Unknown.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I would love for them to allow people to (perhaps a week before launch) create their character and reserve their name.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Name reservations are available to buy in one of the packs, I think.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Side question, is it planned to be able to share character creator templates, and have galleries to download from?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes. Pretty sure Steven mentioned that in the March Livestream.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @akabear there will even be some contests as well with the character creator. =)
  • Options
    Can't wait to get my hands on the character creator and see what I can come up with :D
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    WarspawnWarspawn Member
    edited April 2022
    Can't wait to get my hands on the character creator and see what I can come up with :D

Ditto! I'm actually <that> close to jumping in to buy the Voyager Plus. Pretty confident that I'll be very
    happy with the choice I make by doing that. And this is from someone who spent a pile of money on Star Citizen and Camelot Unchained, among others. Guess I'm a half-full type B)

*and no, it's not just to get in to Alpha 2 --> more just active support via my wallet for something I believe in*

I am curious, however...and I haven't seen an answer, and perhaps it won't even come up as an issue. What happens when two people with the packs to reserve a name choice want the same name? First come, first served? Account maturity/join date?

o7

~War~
    (Definitely have to work on my sig, lol! Too used to other places where those aren't allowed.)
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that they answered this before. I am not sure about the details, but I remember that the answer was logical and made the player base happy.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    I think that they answered this before...

Yeah, I've lurked here for awhile but not consistently; not surprised that I missed it. For me, it's not a huge issue, but there are people out there who have been playing online for years, and have even trademarked their user names. Could be issues with those, or with any of the big streamers getting their names sniped. There was a HUGE melt-down on New World's EU servers when they opened first; since names were unique game-wide/world-wide (not just regionally or per server), there were people queuing up to grab names, and even holding particular ones hostage (Beff Jezos was one I remember in chat, lol!).

o7

~War~