Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[SUGGESTION] Players becoming known breeders

Hey there,

so yestreday I was on Vlhadus' Podcast as a guest and and I pitched an idea to him, which he told me that I should totally submit - so here I am, pitching it to you guys:

To a lot of people, including myself, the professions in mmorpgs are something very important. My motivation for getting good at a professions usually is to be one of a few outstanding somewhat artisans, that is good at what he does. not only in terms of knowledge but in quality of craftings as well. But everything is limited to some extent right? So I thought:
What if we were able to "brand" our breeds from animal husbandry with an individual sigil or something like that. Just to make them recognizable.
We could be able to upload those sigils under the TOS of Ashes, just like a streamer does, when submitting twitch emotes. and after we did that and they were manually accepted by the ashes staff we could put them on our animals similar to tattoos. This would benefit the high level of economic systems that are aimed for in ashes in a way that players could basically create ingame brands for their crafts and themselves.

Pleae let me know what you all think:)
Thank you
And now you go and have yourself a great day!

Comments

• Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like it! They've already talked a little about using the character creator in Ashes of Creation, so I could see this being already possible by just putting a tattoo on your animals.
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    I like it! They've already talked a little about using the character creator in Ashes of Creation, so I could see this being already possible by just putting a tattoo on your animals.

yeah, thats what I thought, since the 'inheritage-system' of the character creator also takes part in husbandry
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    An easier way to do it is to have the artisan's name in the item description - "Made by FunkyDoodle".

Uploading an image introduces a bottleneck for your idea, and it is still prone to mistakes. Not to mention that someone could sneak in some weird shit in the image.

I like your idea, it's just the studio will have to hire dozens of people who would have the sole task of reviewing images.

Then you can add the player who created it as metadata for the bred animal and have the functionality to look up stuff by creator in auctions, kiosks and so on.
  • Options
    An easier way to do it is to have the artisan's name in the item description - "Made by FunkyDoodle".

Uploading an image introduces a bottleneck for your idea, and it is still prone to mistakes. Not to mention that someone could sneak in some weird shit in the image.

I like your idea, it's just the studio will have to hire dozens of people who would have the sole task of reviewing images.

Then you can add the player who created it as metadata for the bred animal and have the functionality to look up stuff by creator in auctions, kiosks and so on.

I agree on your points. also thought about that a bit -a solution to prohibit abusive pictures could be that one would have to buy 'branding slots' which would create income to actually pay the hours the com-managers would have to put in validating the pictures. but i get what you're saying. I like your idea of the name in the description. Would be less impressive but still a nice way to solve the issue of weird images. Thank you for your opinion:)
  • Options
    Being able to purchase spots for a brand image sounds pretty interesting. I’m not sure I’d want it directly on the stuff I craft though, unless it would be more of a decorative tag rather than an imprint on a sword’s blade
  • Options

I agree on your points. also thought about that a bit -a solution to prohibit abusive pictures could be that one would have to buy 'branding slots' which would create income to actually pay the hours the com-managers would have to put in validating the pictures. but i get what you're saying. I like your idea of the name in the description. Would be less impressive but still a nice way to solve the issue of weird images. Thank you for your opinion:)

I can see how people would not like such a solution. I wouldn't.
    Enabling people to use images for branding introduces a resource problem, which is time. And time is also money and a zero sum 'game'. Instead of spending the employees time on reviewing images, they could be reviewing reports and interacting with the community.
    Paying for the brand i think is a very bad solution.

What i think Intrepid can do is create a set of basic shapes and have a font choices. Then you randomize or pick the shapes you want like in a character creator and the initials of your character are stamped on the creature. Additionally, you can also have my first suggestion where your name is displayed along with the descriptive text when you hover over the item in your inventory.
  • Options
    I personally have the feel that the added resources to moderate/approve the images coming through probably weigh out the desire for the creativity there. I think like other items, having the name attached to the item should be enough, as you'll then get familiar with them. which will work similarly to how a logo would.

The other side of things, is that personally if I personally am purchasing a mount or item, I don't want it stained with the logo as it might spoil a certain aesthetic I might be going for, *depending on how visible it might be*

I think that if this was applied to Animal Husbandry then everyone would want it on armour sets, weapons, latte art! It's not for me just because of the intricacies but at heart the idea is okay.
  • Options
    I wonder if it would be possible to tag items with a logo in addition to the character name, or even only a logo. I can imagine guild crafters using guild heraldry to tag certain items. Or the roleplay value of “no names only pictures” on things you create.
  • Options
    I do like the idea of displaying/sharing the work of certain master artisans, since there will only be a handful on them per server.

But I am thinking about how this can be applied for other artisans like a master gather.

Instead of branding, maybe something like a history of item.

Example: ____ gathered by _____ --> ____ processed into ___ by ____.
    Example: ___ tamed by ___ --> ____ bread into ___ by ____.

(The underscores would be auto populated)

With the branding system, others on the server would need to be able to already know that a specific brand is from a specific person (which is much better for RPG from my perspective), whereas the history of an item/creature would allow someone to find/message the original gatherer/crafter/processer with ease.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited April 2022
    Being a master breeder sounds… messy. 🤢

My hope with master gatherers is that they form strong relationships with a handful of master processors, and then they with master crafters. This would create an economy based on player relationships, not just player transactions.

So, maybe the items could have a company sigil or a crafting guild sigil instead of noting all the individuals.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Being a master breeder sounds… messy. 🤢

My hope with master gatherers is that they form strong relationships with a handful of master processors, and then they with master crafters. This would create an economy based on player relationships, not just player transactions.

So, maybe the items could have a company sigil or a crafting guild sigil instead of noting all the individuals.

I like this idea.

Maybe a symbol for the city you are a citizen of so that people can find the general area if wanted and then be required to talk and build relationships to find the specific person. Since ideally any master artisan should be fairly renowned.
  • Options
    I really hope Intrepid nails the professions aspect of the game and allows us to become well known in our fields. In New World, I was a furniture crafter, I had all my spreadsheets and order forms. I used my house as a showroom and dubbed my business "Superior Interior". Unfortunately, New World neglected to fix any of the issues related to Furnishing for several months. Presumably because it was seen as the least important part of a game riddled with bugs. I hope Animal Husbandry doesn't face the same fate, as that is my profession of choice right now.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    I do like the idea of displaying/sharing the work of certain master artisans, since there will only be a handful on them per server.

But I am thinking about how this can be applied for other artisans like a master gather.

Instead of branding, maybe something like a history of item.

Example: ____ gathered by _____ --> ____ processed into ___ by ____.
    Example: ___ tamed by ___ --> ____ bread into ___ by ____.

(The underscores would be auto populated)

With the branding system, others on the server would need to be able to already know that a specific brand is from a specific person (which is much better for RPG from my perspective), whereas the history of an item/creature would allow someone to find/message the original gatherer/crafter/processer with ease.
    this is my favourite idea so far. I'd really like to see that. I'll try to make a video this weekend talking about all of your input on this topic:)
  • Options
    AidanKD wrote: »
    I personally have the feel that the added resources to moderate/approve the images coming through probably weigh out the desire for the creativity there. I think like other items, having the name attached to the item should be enough, as you'll then get familiar with them. which will work similarly to how a logo would.

The other side of things, is that personally if I personally am purchasing a mount or item, I don't want it stained with the logo as it might spoil a certain aesthetic I might be going for, *depending on how visible it might be*

I think that if this was applied to Animal Husbandry then everyone would want it on armour sets, weapons, latte art! It's not for me just because of the intricacies but at heart the idea is okay.

never looked at it from that angle. thank you for sharing your thoughts:)