Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should Character Creator have limits?

As many fans have noticed, the character creator in alpha atm looks pretty great! Gives characters a lot of details to stand out a bit more than the average MMO. I previously left a comment on the Ashes Of Creation youtube page about it, and they kindly asked that I send it over to the forums so, I hope you don't mind a quick copy and paste!

"Character creator looks great! Just a word of concern, as someone who beta tested Aion way back in the day, some/many players can and will make the most mutated abominations if you give them the option, particularly with Sculpt. Not saying that's a BAD thing, just it may endanger immersion if you see those aliens from Close Encounters Of The Third Kind waltzing around the tavern. Best solution I can offer is to be mindful of how much you can sculpt and to set some realistic limits for each race."

Aion and Black Desert Online both give players extreme control to create their characters, some avatars made are... Interesting, but clearly not meant to be taken seriously, and that's okay!
I'd like to stress that I'm in no way trying to encourage or discourage one path or the other, just simply bringing attention to a probable concern, at the very least from an immersion standpoint. What do the other players think? Personally I'd like to aim at something that's more 'standard' for each race, but still give enough creativity to make a skinnier orc or thick elf if the player wishes.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven mentioned racial limits.
  • Options
    As Dygz said - Steven has cited that they will aim to have thresholds to avoid "monstrosities" from being created. Steven is aware of some of the BDO oddities that can be made so I am sure they will use that and their own research/iterations to balance this out.
  • Options
    I was concerned about this, the reddit AoC account replied me with: We definitely want characters to feel like they fit within the world that we're building.

I think they want to build an "realistic" high fantasy world. Beeing the "funny" mmo where people have super big bodys with insane large heads etc would destroy everything IMO. There will be less pretty character, and thats ok. But lips wont be on your forhead and eyes on the cheeks.
  • Options
    Oh cool! Glad to know that they won't let character design get too insane. It hurts to think curbing creativity is necessary sometimes, but it's their world, their hard work in making these races, so it's only fair and respectful that we don't mess up their vision too much. Thankfully there are games like BDO and Aion where you can just go ham on the silliness though and people half expect it at this point.
  • Options
    For me would just be one character per player