Anyone else want druids?

2»

Comments

• rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited April 2022
    Sawtooth wrote: »
    Goatrek wrote: »
    I would love whats essentially a feral druid from vanilla wow. A class that can do everything ok but is not the best at anything but still with some unique utility ofc so its not redundant. its interesting to have atleast 1 such class in an mmo, Shapshifting is also my favourite class trope
    The problem is core design. Druids as popularized by that other game are built around the core system of “specialization” and “talents.” They can do “everything” because of specialization being able to be changed. Where as Ashes of Creation core systems is built on Classes being able to choose a secondary archetype. You can only change your secondary archetype, not your entire role/class.
    Example: I pick Rogue. Rogue is a dps archetype. Realistically I can never change this. But I can choose a secondary archetype to modify it. Let’s say I pick bard next. Bard is a support archetype. So rogue/bard will combine into Charlatan. Which will be a dps role with support modification. This is as close as anyone will get to a “hybrid” and you have 64 possibly combinations for players to choose from.

How would a WoW Druid fit into that system? Not possible. Even if there was only a feral druid. You now have to think of a way that it can be modified by every other class. Which while theoretically possible is arguably not worth the effort, and not something that Ashes core players even want. It’s something to please WoW tourists who watch Asmongold streams.

Let’s let WoW be WoW and Ashes be Ashes.
    Thank you

Isn't wows druid based on the druid from DnD? And isn't a lot of the class design in ashes also taken from DnD?

I don't think a copy paste from wow would be a good idea, but a nature based archetype like a druid would fit the game very well.

And it's not like you will give the archetype druid all the roles, instead you give the other archetypes druid-like abilities. So a tank/druid will get bear stuff, rogues/druid will get the cat stuff, and so on.

The druid itself will most likely be a support class.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Ashes is based on Pathfinder.
    Pathfinder Druids have Wild Shape, yes.

Ranger is the Nature-based Primary Archetype.
    Summoner is the companion Primary Arcyetype.
    Beastmaster is probably the closest to Druid for Ashes.
  • Dygz wrote: »

I wouldn't call Ranger a nature-based Archetype, It's a bow/stealth archetype. I mean a lot of it's abilities have fire and flames in them.

But yes, i do believe it's the closest we have to a nature-based archetype, but nothing like a druid.
  • Druid has been brought up before. Have in mind. That when Intrepid design a class. They have to take into consideration how other class augments would be for that class. And how it could augment the other classes
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I could be wrong but I think in Steven's initial plan he had druid and monk as archetypes but they were cut during early development. I could also see those being on Steven's after launch to do list that he's mentioned before. Maybe some future expansions could bring them in.
  • I could be wrong but I think in Steven's initial plan he had druid and monk as archetypes but they were cut during early development. I could also see those being on Steven's after launch to do list that he's mentioned before. Maybe some future expansions could bring them in.

I think that's what steven will do. i expect we'll see on or both a couple of years down the line from release.
    Twilight is nigh the inferno shall rise. Fall in line, your soul is mine.
    9u9aa7k6gdsu.gif
    rikardp98 wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »

I wouldn't call Ranger a nature-based Archetype, It's a bow/stealth archetype. I mean a lot of it's abilities have fire and flames in them.

But yes, i do believe it's the closest we have to a nature-based archetype, but nothing like a druid.
    Bow/Stealth/Trap/Mobility
    Flame line is a possible Active Skill. Yes.
    Beastmaster is probably closest to Druid.

• rikardp98 wrote: »
    I would love whats essentially a feral druid from vanilla wow. A class that can do everything ok but is not the best at anything but still with some unique utility ofc so its not redundant. its interesting to have atleast 1 such class in an mmo, Shapshifting is also my favourite class trope
    The problem is core design. Druids as popularized by that other game are built around the core system of “specialization” and “talents.” They can do “everything” because of specialization being able to be changed. Where as Ashes of Creation core systems is built on Classes being able to choose a secondary archetype. You can only change your secondary archetype, not your entire role/class.
    Example: I pick Rogue. Rogue is a dps archetype. Realistically I can never change this. But I can choose a secondary archetype to modify it. Let’s say I pick bard next. Bard is a support archetype. So rogue/bard will combine into Charlatan. Which will be a dps role with support modification. This is as close as anyone will get to a “hybrid” and you have 64 possibly combinations for players to choose from.

How would a WoW Druid fit into that system? Not possible. Even if there was only a feral druid. You now have to think of a way that it can be modified by every other class. Which while theoretically possible is arguably not worth the effort, and not something that Ashes core players even want. It’s something to please WoW tourists who watch Asmongold streams.

Thank you

Isn't wows druid based on the druid from DnD? And isn't a lot of the class design in ashes also taken from DnD?

I don't think a copy paste from wow would be a good idea, but a nature based archetype like a druid would fit the game very well.

And it's not like you will give the archetype druid all the roles, instead you give the other archetypes druid-like abilities. So a tank/druid will get bear stuff, rogues/druid will get the cat stuff, and so on.

So it’s not a copy paste from WoW and then you go on to explain how it’s a copy paste from WoW.
    If Intrepid is smart they won’t listen to any ideas from WoWBabies. They ruined there own game with the horrible ideas they thought the wanted, but they never learn their lesson.

A nature themed class is fine. But one that has to have a heckin “bear form” and “cat form” is a WoW themed class. Not to mention one that Blizzard themselves could never balance.
    One could argue there are already nature themed archetype options.

• SygmundSygmund Member
    edited April 2022
    i woud like became a druid too. But not a shapeshifter. Maybe i see a healer like a cleric with a strong smooth taste of nature healing skills and some crowd controll. I love the nature spirit. i see the druid as a reserved peaceful healer. Maybe a Mixture of a cleric/ranger without bow/summoner
  • rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited April 2022
    rikardp98 wrote: »

Thank you

So it’s not a copy paste from WoW and then you go on to explain how it’s a copy paste from WoW.
    If Intrepid is smart they won’t listen to any ideas from WoWBabies. They ruined there own game with the horrible ideas they thought the wanted, but they never learn their lesson.

A nature themed class is fine. But one that has to have a heckin “bear form” and “cat form” is a WoW themed class. Not to mention one that Blizzard themselves could never balance.
    One could argue there are already nature themed archetype options.

I never said it's should be a copy pasta from wow? I just gave examples on how they could handle the secondary archetype arguments. And I don't really care about bear or cat, they will probably take inspiration from pathfinder and DnD and add stuff like dire wolf, ape, snake and more. As I said, do not copy pasta from wow....
    edited April 2022
    What are the 4 Ranger augment Schools you are expecting, @rikardp98 ??

Shapechange does not have to be Wolf or Bear or Cat - Ashes has plenty of its own fantasy forms to choose from, like Grave Beast or Scalerunner or Glimmering Geode. I don't expect Ashes to have a class with Shapechange, though.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    What are the 4 Ranger augment Schools you are expecting, @rikardp98 ??

Shapechange does not have to be Wolf or Bear or Cat - Ashes has plenty of its own fantasy forms to choose from, like Grave Beast or Scalerunner or Glimmering Geode. I don't expect Ashes to have a class with Shapechange, though.

To be perfectly honest... I don't know. Ranger is the only ranged melee archetype so will probably within that, nothing nature Magic based.

When I first found ashes I wanted to play cleric/range to get that druid feeling I like. I will still probably play it, but from what I have seen, secondary archetypes won't have big impacts on the overall class so I'm not sure.
    LMAO
    You haven't seen Secondary Archetypes or augments in action.

I'm expecting Ranger to have a Nature Magic augment School.
    Just as I'm expecting Rogue to have a Shadow Magic augment School.
    We shall see what truly happens...
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I asked this same question in a twitch stream last Sunday. I don't want another wow clone druid for sure, but after looking at the classes/archetypes I think we will have one, it's just spread out across classes instead of just one main Druid archetype.
    IF we were to have a druid archetype I would want one who was mainly a nature driven spell caster with some very light heals. I.e. spells like thorn blast, wall of thorns, summon swarms, call lightning, summon weather, thunder clap, pass unseen, entangling vines, the only shape changing thing I would even consider is a meld type spell where you could meld with the forest. With the weather spells, something pretty massive, not some 5x5 stinking little dark cloud above someone's head. Not that I don't like the shape changing thing in wow, I would just avoid anything remotely close to it and push strongly for something new and refreshing to play.
  • I can see druidism being added as an expansion for an exclusively secondary archetype. Tank-Druids morphing into bears, Fighter-Druids shifting into a wolf form, that sort of thing. I don't know how that would work for most classes nor as a primary archetype though, mostly just spitballing.
    https://twitch.tv/croakerrpg
    I want to play a fun game
    There cannot be an exclusive Secondary Archetype named Druid.

Shapeshifting could an exclusive augment School. Seems unlikely.
  • GetDatGreg wrote: »
    I can see druidism being added as an expansion for an exclusively secondary archetype. Tank-Druids morphing into bears, Fighter-Druids shifting into a wolf form, that sort of thing. I don't know how that would work for most classes nor as a primary archetype though, mostly just spitballing.

That's not a terrible idea having it as a 9th archetype added sometime later. I could see that being entertaining