Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Developer API's for guild maintenance

The question was asked before in a different form, but was not actually answered (https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45678/developer-apis).

I think it would be a good idea to have API's for guild maintenance outside the game itself, or at least an API for retrieving the guild roster outside the game to help guild to organise themselves not only inside the game.
The verb, not the composer name.

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Exporting info seems fine but any management should be done inside the online UI to prevent issues. Since AoC will not allow add-ons (for now) they do need to provide a great guild tool because of all the emphasis they are placing on guild/node/siege play.
  • Options
    Kazan TennoKazan Tenno Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think a robust API that captures guild data and character data would be pretty cool. You could have guild websites pulling the roster and displaying their members and achievements in real time. Feature character sheets for members etc. I'd love that (as a web developer myself).
    Join us in the Underworld. Join Irkallu.
    Irkallu discord: https://discord.com/invite/CB3ZrnD
    c5eKKDy.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    While it may indeed be useful to have some API hooks for guild information, it is still far too early to get any kind of solid info from Intrepid (late beta 2 is when you are likely to get something close to an answer - if not some time after launch).

Keep in mind though, Intrepid plan on having a solid in game UI to assist with these things, and to implement their own app for the game. It may well be that they decide to cover everything they consider important themselves between the in game UI and the app.
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    edited April 2022
    Caww wrote: »
    Exporting info seems fine but any management should be done inside the online UI to prevent issues. Since AoC will not allow add-ons (for now) they do need to provide a great guild tool because of all the emphasis they are placing on guild/node/siege play.

I was thinking about API's that have no influence on the communication between gaming client and the game server(s), and for that reason have nothing to do with add-ons, but instead API's that open a limited amount of the game server data (having to do with guild rosters and agenda's) to the outside world, nothing more.

@Kazan Tenno Indeed, I had web development for guild sites in mind.
  • Options
    That would be really nice, by far from all the game ive played the most complete api was for eve online. It would let u see character, guild and much more information from the api letting u develop quite alot of out of game service which were really usefull to help manage guilds (automate access to guild discord etc)
  • Options
    If you could see character info, like stats and equipped gear, that would be awesome. Imagine having a guild site where you could click on a user's profile and see everything about their in-game character. Being able to pull the 3D Turntable data would be sweet too.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    Kazan TennoKazan Tenno Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you could see character info, like stats and equipped gear, that would be awesome. Imagine having a guild site where you could click on a user's profile and see everything about their in-game character. Being able to pull the 3D Turntable data would be sweet too.

If that was available, I'd write that into my website!
    Join us in the Underworld. Join Irkallu.
    Irkallu discord: https://discord.com/invite/CB3ZrnD
    c5eKKDy.png
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member
    I dont know how Intrepid intends to have little to no API and manage massive guild settings.

Imagine in Eve Online, INIT, GoonSwarm, TEST, Any of them trying to manage and run that without that function.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Srixun wrote: »
    I dont know how Intrepid intends to have little to no API and manage massive guild settings.

Imagine in Eve Online, INIT, GoonSwarm, TEST, Any of them trying to manage and run that without that function.

Sounds like a great selling point to not have them.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SrixunSrixun Member

I mean maybe, but Im not talking to be like them mind you. But a guild management API...

How big are the raids?
    How do you handle loot?
    How do you interface the guild with better environments.

Steven has said over and over they want to bring the "Massive" back into MMO. That means guild sizes larger than 300, And even if it is 300, with a lack of an API and a team that has deadlines and schedules managing a guild interface system, I think its a little unrealistic, and API will help, you can clamp the data it access, etc. I think it would be very ignorant(no offense intended) to not allow an API at all.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Don't forget that significant guilds (those with political &/or military power) will probably have spies in them. The more information available within the guild, the more information might be available to enemies of the guild.

This will be particularly true of established guilds planning on migrating into AoC. Many of their potential enemies are using this time to plant spies pre-release.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I mean maybe, but Im not talking to be like them mind you. But a guild management API...

How big are the raids?
    How do you handle loot?
    How do you interface the guild with better environments.

Steven has said over and over they want to bring the "Massive" back into MMO. That means guild sizes larger than 300, And even if it is 300, with a lack of an API and a team that has deadlines and schedules managing a guild interface system, I think its a little unrealistic, and API will help, you can clamp the data it access, etc. I think it would be very ignorant(no offense intended) to not allow an API at all.

I get where your coming from.
    How many of these massive guilds have private web sites and discord where they handle this kind of thing?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Our goal is to have a robust set of tools at our player's fingertips within our own game and UI! We'll have more information on these systems as we progress further in development ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    So, no plans now. Understood.
  • Options
    Ravel wrote: »
    So, no plans now. Understood.

Sounds like a plan, to me. I mean, they even had the big Dev Discussion about what players wanted in-game for Guild management. There's currently no final version, but there's certainly a plan.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/