Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Recipe-less cooking with food as a soft requirement

I propose 2 things to make cooking an integral, engaging, economic yet not demanding expereince. 1) An open ended effect-by-ingredient cooking format that allows the cook to mix whatever they like (limited by portions, skill ability, and satiation), effected by skill level/perks, and cooking tool/station used. 2) A basic, non-lethal satiation system that helps control the amount of what people eat, and amount of ingredients used, to make engaging decisions of what should be eaten in that situation. It would add depth and purpose to world items and consideration of their use, and creates an economic sink and trade avenue. To go into detail...

Open ended cooking

I would really like to see cooking steered away from the A+B+B = Dish C type of blueprint recipe. So an egg with a spice that have no effects can be made into a specific dish, that has effects completely unique to any recipe.. ok?? The recipe can't be tweaked, cooked differently, anything.. Try a different herb? Nope, CAN'T be cooked. It's a poor representation of actual cooking and just ends up being a small handful of recipes people actually use cause most aren't "the best". You could have a very open ended, deep cooking system because the items aren't really rendered in game, save for a few thumbnails and the effect card.. unlike usual crafting that needs a real world object with animations considered etc etc... anyway..

If the effects of food came from the ingredients used, that were then altered with flavour additions, cooking method, and skill focus, you could have a system where the resultant dish is unique. Cooking would be more like real life.. throw in whatever- the ingredients, your skill, and how you cook it determine the result.

Ingredients could be 2 simple types, Food and Flavour. Anything could be eaten raw for it's advertised effect when unable/uninterested in cooking. 'Food' is straighfoward, would offer a low to high satiation and comprise most of the dish's effects (ex. 200 calorie drumstick gives +2 Str and Sta; 20 calore GlitterBerry gives +4 arcane damage and vulnerabilty; 100 calore Marsh Tubar, no effect ). A dish would be at most a handful of Food items, even just 1... Think like rice and a couple vegetables.. A steak and potato.. Fruit salad.. A rack of ribs.. Portion compositons end up logical with what you're trying to get out of it and the limts of calorie intake.

'Flavour' are the spices, herbs, seeds, berries, any 1-bite/smaller item that can be added in much higher amounts, that impact the Food's effects of the dish. Ex., SmellyHerb gives +1% to all Meat food effects.. or Sesame Seeds reduce Vegetable debuffs by 10%.. These are limited more by cooking skill, and a dish could have anywhere from zero to over a dozen additions.

Effects don't have to be just different buffs.. Somethings could be a debuff (not everthing is good for you) or offer a glaring trade off.. It Allows potential for some interesting interactions if Flavourings can alter otherwise bad foods into strong ones. Effects could get quite exotic or if magic were going to be involved you could have things that offer actual abilities or something for time a period based on cook's skill/ ingreds. etc..
It might also be beneficial to tie certain effect types to certain food categories, but couldn't say without some deeper consideration. Maybe just a player convenience, so dish design is more structured.

The degree to which food is filling makes choosing the buffs you'll get vs how long you'll be stuck with them a real thought. Especially expensive and more specialized ingredients. Adds consideration as a factor to what you should carry. Meals become less of a Best+best=best dish.. You might not have room at the moment, or just want the satiation in place of food that offers better buffs. You might want a big solid mid-tier meal before some good ol' pve farming or travel, but the tough boss you're after may need a very specialized food to help, but making it very filling would be wasted as once he's dead, as the effect isn't too practical. A potion or something could be available that wipes your food buffs and satiation so you're not 'stuck' in situations where every % matters.

Rarity/ challenge to procure should determine the tier of the ingredient and exoticness of effects. A step up in tier would offer higher effect strength/ satiation efficiency, and for Flavourings offer more specialized impacts to cooking. Most food in the world should be common, some things qutie ubiquitous; apples, eggs, rice w/e...

If certain (all?) foods were regionally distributed, it could add a big element to economic trade/ travel. Makes sense for fruit, fish, and the like anyway. Cultivated plants and animals could be the mainstay bread+butter of the world. If Seasons do play out, then there is huge potential for seasonal foods. You could have super rare foods, like how we have caviar, 80$/lb wagyo beef, saffron (but more like boss drops and master fisherman's catchs or dangerous area mushrooms etc.) so if you want the peak buffs, it will cost you. Open ended cooking makes how you use rare ingredients (or if you want someone else to do it) a real consideration. Also leading to absurdly priced luxury meals at inns. Like Dragon Kebabs or something..

Given that there are magical creatures, there's huge potential for meats and other drops to do all sorts of things. A lot of it would come down to alchemicy instead, but cooking could offer a reduction of the same effect.
Inns /NPCs could offer some meals just like dishes you could cook for a extra convenience cost varied by skill of the producer there, and you might be able to gain some cooking skill by eating around, learning what people do.

Ingredients would only show their effects in game only after you've eaten or cooked them. If handled categorically, you could have some idea based on what it is. Yes, you could just look up recipes, but that's quite realistic, isn't it? And skill level would still hold a large factor of the result: I can try to make a souffle by a recipe.. will I do it right? In-game books could have legitimate recipes.

Dishes cooked could use blanket names that based on the resulting appearance/ it's 'mains', like "Fried Boar Steak" and "Poached eagle eggs and Carrots" that don't account for the flavour additives otherwise you'd be trying to formulate 10,000,000 names. This also adds the dynamic of seeing the stats of an interesting dish and asking the cook- How did you make it? You can't often see small changes in cooking or components. A flavour text or thumbnail change could try to give some idea of its details/skill impact.. You could name a specific recipe of ingredients you choose and auto-fill the craft screen if they're in your inventory, aside from some common things already in the world (like our beef wellington etc). But anyway...

There's potential for more 'silly' fun by putting some strange, 'flavour' based effects on a few common foods you might have to eat while out and about - makes you glow; gives you one time weak fire breath (was in WoW?); extremely brief invisility at the expense of total mana drain; changes your skin colour; changes the colours you see on screen; makes one type of animal friendly/follow you briefly.. you get the idea. Yes, yes, exploits and such but if done with a little thought it could add more for a lot of players. Worlds get super game-y and hollow when every tiny system simply revolves around keeping the numbers on the character sheet the focus.

Food as a Soft Requirement

A soft survival mechanic of satiation (100-0%) limits how much you can eat, so what you choose to eat must be considered, and controls the ingredient limit- no one can eat 40 fish or whatever.

Most people probably don't want any REAL survival so the punishments of not eating would be simple and non-severe.. maybe like "Hungry" gives a slight mana/energy regen debuff and "Starving" is a moderate health and mana regen debuff... The starving status also offers an interesting mechanic to a few classes or enemies being able to apply a starvation or wasting curse or something. Anyway..

Making food pseudo-mandatory would wedge a new commodity type into the world's economy (currently, building and gear mats, maybe mounts is it?), which I think could add a lot more to the world.. cooking for people, trading goods, providing food to nodes, guilds, etc.. something to consider beyond gear and potions and Coin #. If you're ok with an upkeep cost on your gear and travel. etc, why not on your LIVING character.. The one thing that truly needs upkeep.
Fishing would finally feel like it's providing something needed. House/Freehold farms would make the crop and production a real choice.

Unless you're just an alt in a city, it would be wise to stay at least fed, and allowing all food to be 'useful' in regards to fillingness vs. cost vs. effect gives all food a ROLE. Staple foods for no specific gameplay intentions, safer areas etc.. Fancier stuff for specific enemies/ intentions, travel, risky areas.. Really costly items for when every % matters.

But most don't want inventory to be piles of food... A good option could be that all forms of seasoning can be put in a spice pouch.. or all food items have a 'storage jar' option.. As well, basic tier food should be easy to find, at least in open/natural areas, as to not be a frustrating affair of having to leave behind most of your loot in cases of long treks home. Just eat a few apples or fish for a min. there- no debuff for the long walk.

Having food be a soft requirement means more cooking/eating based on what you feel like carrying and can find vs. its worth/use, and not just collecting the best few drops and combining them en masse to make the same best food within your hard limit skill level. I get the impression that is somewhat similar to the intention of the gear maintenance system as epic gear is claimed to require epic materials to repair. Judging risk and value. Some people just want more mindless gameplay and not to have to engage with non-combat mechanics, but the arguments against the food management gameplay apply to any crafting skill... You don't want to screw around with cooking and miss out on the buffs then pay someone to do it. You don't want to screw around with armorsmithing and miss out on the good gear then pay someone to make it. You hate the whole idea of food, then just eat what's immediately best and enjoy your time fighting. You hate grinding for top gear, then just wear what's best within your patience to attain and be a couple percent lowlier in gear stats....

The goal is to have every decision reflect more natural eating habits and give players that want to, something to consider.. what are you carrying vs what is it worth to you at the time: I'm going to cook up TrickyShrimp to gain some mobility cause I hate this area; I better buy [foodname] for the magic resistance before going to the Ghost Cave; Feast before meeting your maker in an epic raid!; Down to my last 2 rare apples, I'd rather cook this cave fungus and frog legs and endure their Debuffs right now; You get the idea.

Cooking Skill?

The biggest impact of the cooking skill would be maximizing the potential of ingredients through cooking (the boost to their effect). Flavourings could operate a percent of application based on skill, and the more of the same type (spices, salts, veggies), the less the effects stack. Ex., 1 herb does what it says, the second gets half its effect applied, the third one gets a quarter of its impact, etc. So more skill allows more impact from more ingredients. This helps correlate character level, skill level, and resulting food buffs. A more knowledgeable chef will know when/how to use more spices and how to mix them. At low levels it doesn't make sense to be able to whip up 12 different ingredients and have them all be used properly, together. There could be issues with mixing Food types that skill level could mediate.. One focus could be on the Foods themselves, and not as much the additions for that 'rustic' kind of cook- flame spit,

A couple cooking methods by deployable tool/ station could have broad sweeping impacts to certain food types, and be a just a few world items, maybe with fancier textures by tier- Ex., Master's Stew pot gives all Vegetable and Herb effects +5%... Makeshift Searing rack gives all fish +1% effects. Skill tree could offer some focuses on cooking methods, which seems reasonable. As the skill advances there could be branches for focusing further on a specific Food type or cooking type with lore like backgrounds. Dunir Stone Baking, or Kelnar Leaf Wrapping...

Branching the skill tree and limiting the area which people can focus on allows some community exchange since no one person can then be the 'best' cook of all things.
I wouldn't hate a system where cooked food (at least some methods) must be eaten at point of creation. I'm not running around with 4 plates of stir fry in my bag.. you could actually run a cooking business or go to an appropriate type of business with your group before heading out. Adds a little planning to an outing and feel organic. Methods that make a storable item- a wrap, a dried meat, etc. could offer less great benefits. Or simply eating the food then and there gives a tiny warm comfort buff or something.
For cooking for others to be more viable, I could see a system where a chef is able cook what other players put in a deployed cooking device as to not be 'stolen'.

Anyway, that's the sum of my thoughts on the matter for now. I don't imagine most people would want this kind of thing in an MMO as it's kind of sim-y, but I'm tired of slightly varied WoW systems. A game that is a bit more world oriented than run-end-game-dungeon oriented for people like me that tire of repition and variety to the roles of the world. Be a travelling spice merchant out of your backpack. Hand out a bunch of cooked clams you came back with from a cave run.. Not a cook, just eat raw foraged food to sate yourself like a barbarian.. Lots of fun stuff for (some) of us.

Comments

• Options
    clone63clone63 Member
    edited April 2022
    I want to clarify one thing that I don't quite think I did above- To keep the food system from looking too complicated or time consuming for people that aren't interested in mixing up different foods, the cooking skill would not be an extremely potent influence over the raw ingredients- Ex. Food1 gives +10 stats, but an endgame cook wouldn't be able to turn that into a +30 stats meal.. The skill and activity would be there for people who want to use it to gain that little edge in preparation and/or enjoy the experimentation with more flavour additions they find, and the role /game play.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As a large fan of food having meaningful effects in MMOs, I disagree with basically all of the 'Cooking Skill' section, and as usual, consider the other two sections 'basically part of any MMO that has actual cooking in it' anyway.

It takes all of the fun OUT of cooking, for me, and as someone who quite enjoys cooking irl and experimenting with things, I can explain exactly why.

Better ingredients often affect the quality of a dish quite a lot, yes, but the correct combinations and technique make much more difference.

So, while I wouldn't mind very much if you could make the same style of meat dish with multiple types of meat, three things are likely to happen if you do it this way.

1. The rarest meat with the 'strongest effect' will become the meta, or alternately be useless, both suck.
    2. The 'correct combinations that work out well for food effects' often have nothing to do with making food that even SEEMS like it would actually be enjoyable.
    3. The part where many cooks learn 'proper ratios' of things doesn't work and leads to frustration, while often diminishing cooking skill in general leading to a game where everyone cooks and looks stuff up and goes 'well, good enough' because food can be produced without actual attention to ratios.

On a much more personal note, I mainly interact with three different cooking systems in MMOs, I'll bring up just BDO and FFXI as comparators.

BDO:
    90% of fish are interchangeable, basic ingredients are used to make very basic foods which they tried to get around by then making you combine those together to get slightly better foods which are basically meta. Not terrible, it's sort of boring. Also, the recipes have strict-ish ratios that you can mess around with a little once you're very skilled but this isn't worth doing even in a game where you're using things like '6 Red Meat, 4 Grain Flour, etc'. You can go 'oh well I'm skilled, I can use 5 meat', but it's not worth doing. A game that would somehow 'reward' you for 'choosing to use 7 meat' would be worse.

FFXI:
    Whole post elsewhere, obviously it's also limited and leads to meta choices per situation, but for the players who do the cooking, this is rewarding and from anecdotal, quite fun, because they can specialize more even if they are all capable of making the same foods, because gathering the ingredients or 'seeing what is cheap right now and adapting to it' works well. I don't believe this would happen in a game where the food system was too flexible (see the BDO part) because the rarity of any given effective ingredient would be spread out much more, but I can't be sure.

I don't think MMOs with good food buffs need a satiation mechanic of any kind normally, because simply 'not eating food' is the disadvantage.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    clone63clone63 Member
    edited April 2022
    Azherae wrote: »
    1. The rarest meat with the 'strongest effect' will become the meta, or alternately be useless, both suck.2.
    2. The 'correct combinations that work out well for food effects' often have nothing to do with making food that even SEEMS like it would actually be enjoyable.
    1. I think keep a sharply inclining rarity of better and best effects may prevent this since you're not going to crack out the expensive stuff for farming mobs or travelling. Satiation makes the common foods usable and more of market factor by being 'needed'
    2. True, but when the food is fake and tasteless in a game this isn't as huge a factor. Perhaps player skill could have a bigger impact of the Flavour components chosen rather than how many it allows.

I don't think MMOs with good food buffs need a satiation mechanic of any kind normally, because simply 'not eating food' is the disadvantage.
    Fair enough. Could play out that way but I'd personally feel more inclined to eat if I were taking a bit of a risk in common combat vs. just not having a buff. I'm kind of an item hoarder by nature.

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    clone63 wrote: »
    1. The rarest meat with the 'strongest effect' will become the meta, or alternately be useless, both suck.2.
    1. I think keep a sharply inclining rarity of better and best effects may prevent this since you're not going to crack out the expensive stuff for farming mobs or travelling. Satiation makes the common foods usable and more of market factor by being 'needed'
    2. True, but when the food is fake and tasteless in a game this isn't as huge a factor. Perhaps player skill could have a bigger impact of the Flavour components chosen rather than how many it allows.

Fair enough. Could play out that way but I'd personally feel more inclined to eat if I were taking a bit of a risk in common combat vs. just not having a buff. I'm kind of an item hoarder by nature.

What kind of sharp rarity incline are you thinking? The reason I ask is actually economic related.

In an open economy like Ashes, things are only rare if they have a specific type of time-gate on them. This is actually why I mentioned the meat. Fish works too though.

If the 'easiest to obtain' meat is 2 Power when cooked and the 'average difficult meat' is 10, but the 'average' one drops from basically anything that higher level players can farm up, the weird effect on price will happen that I see most of the time.

Higher and mid level players will farm the average meat, because the demand will be high enough from the server to make it worth doing this. Since everyone needs food, the prices get weird and shifty until everyone just 'by default' eats 'Average Meat Dish'.

Then for anything above that to feel 'rare' it has to be considerably harder to get in some way that players can't just 'throw more time at'. So maybe higher level Animal Husbandry, I guess. My experience then is that it almost 'can't' be worth it. Equilibrium in MMO economies is really hard to do when it comes to things like meats.

So, I was moreso saying 'if you make it so that you don't have to also gather a lot of special ingredients to cook Exceptional Meat' and can just 'use it as part of any other dish' and get its main effects, some of the incentives to sell it off instead of hoarding it, change.

As for the risk in common combat, that really comes down to what you the player consider 'common combat'. If I am level 6 and my common enemies are level 10 (just pulling from Alpha-1 which is equivalent to other games I play) then if I don't eat then I'm at much more risk. The harder your enemy, the more powerfully multiplied the food's effects are in combat.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Cooking is more fun when there are recipes. Especially when it's possible to anticipate which combos will have expected results. Similar to Alchemy.

I'm hoping that we'll sometimes hapilly bring Master Cooks along to dungeons and raids sometimes so that they can provide us with some additional buffs. But, I would want them using skills and recipes for specific results, rather than just throwing random stuff together.

Typically, when you just throw stuff together, the result is nasty - and sometimes toxic.
    Once X-mas my grandma was visiting. She made her famous cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but for some reason this batch was horrid. We were all bewildered, but trying to cover our dismay.
    Later I realized it was because I had added a bottle of curry powder to my mom's spice rack. My grandma didn't know what curry was and just assumed it was cinnamon based on appearance and her previous knowledge of the spice rack.
    So, no... you can't just add any herb to eggs and expect that the result is going to be something desirable.

I don't think we should generally need to be well fed. Food buffs should be a bonus; not a requirement.

Best case scenario is for food combos to logically be tasty as well as nutritious, but it would be fun to try to have cultural pov differences about what's tasty.
    Has me wondering about what food combos Niküa might want vs what Dünir might want.
    Perhaps Niküa meals buff Niküa racial stats and racial augments. They might eat eel and squid and fish heads. While Dünir prefer sausages and kraut to buff their racial stats and racial augments.