Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Story of Ashes

Hello wonderful people!

TL:DR: What is already known about the lore of ashes and what would you like/would you not like to see about lore and system implementations regarding Game Lore?

Now we all know that the world of warcraft (up to the wrath of the lich king) and final fantasy 14 have amazing in-game history, character stories, and story arcs. Obviously, stories are important to an MMORPG to keep people invested. Majority at least.

What do we know is already set in stone in terms of the story for ashes?
  • How was the world created? Will the nodes have specific histories in the library specifically to their type? (divine focuses more on the god/creator aspect, military focuses more on the wars fought in the past, etc)
  • Will we be the first to live on the planet? Does it have a history?
  • How much focus is there on the lore aspect considering this is a, mainly player-driven game?

This is mainly a question of "what do we know?"

On to "what would you like to have/see?"

My list would be as followed:
  • Have libraries in the city with achievements in the past of the city & server itself.
  • have it updated with lore Infos you don't find anywhere else in the game. side stories of characters, places, and so on if you will.
  • Have your own bookshelves with books you find exploring/fishing/looting, cooking recipes, etc. your personal treasure trope of history and lore in your own home
  • let each node style have its own focused lore that you can explore if you visit.
  • Have the city itself have a history! If that node area (area not the specific city itself) had a couple of sieges under its belt where it got destroyed/downgraded, let there be a battle report from a witness showcasing what happened on that day.
  • Same goes for guilds and their housing.

End of thinking capacity.

I'm sure you get where I'm going now. I would love the lore to be as extensive as WoW or FF14. While its not everyone's cup of tea, this would be great especially for RP players IMO.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore

Server history will be available outside of the game world, so... not restricted to in-world Libraries.
    Books seem to be a poor method for relaying server history - I'm expecting some other interface than books.

Node history should be covered via game mechanics. Seems like most guild history would not be available for everyone. I'm not sure that it should be. Though, I expect guilds with significant impact will be mentioned in server history.
  • Options
    StyleStyle Member
    ha! I knew I saw something like the link you shared. I did try to find it before writing here but guess I missed it...

well, books are just one form. I'm not talking about that being the only form. it could be a collectible option like new world has it with his notes scattered around. I really liked that.

obviously, the majority should be in cut scenes and such.

I do think guild history should be guild only but major accomplishments are displayed around the world/home node they are in.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mmm hmmmn.
    I mention books because I'm trying to wrap my brain around how server history is disseminated in a library.
    Curious to see what the devs will do with that. Notes aren't a good form for that, either.

Books and notes are great for ancient lore.