Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Raid boss mechanics idea

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
I could be challenging to come up with brand new interactive mechanic designs due to the amount of mmorpgs out there, but here is a couple of things that I don't see often and maybe IS can work with them.

1) Big raid bosses can actually deal damage when then fall on players due to injury. Imagine a dragon or giant boss falling on its ass and players that dont watch out get damaged. I would advice against predicted moments (75% of rd HP, 50%, 25%), just randomly.
2) Friendly-fire mechanic activation. Let's say that a raid boss design revolves around dealing big dmg by taunting the boss to slam onto some rocks or pillars. The rocks/pillars break, but if they fall onto the players, the players get hit big time.
3) Another mechanic could require the players to deal damage on a boss by activating some short of flame-thrower or what have you, some ammunition that damages the boss HP. Players should move out of the way or incur damage.

Anyway, the big item is that players might get damaged by more ways that big red circle or big cone attack, or any other attack.

Fights are chaotic and you never know from where you are going to collect a smack. Might as well build mechanics around chaos.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I've seen the third one in games before (ballista are a fairly common weapon to do this with), however, I really like the first two suggestions you have here - and haven't seen anything quite like them before.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    These suggestions make me feel someone's been playing Elden Ring.... ;)
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope they move away from gimmick fights and that beating a boss has more to do with you knowing how to play your class and your reaction speed rather than if you watched a video online.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    fabula wrote: »
    I hope they move away from gimmick fights and that beating a boss has more to do with you knowing how to play your class and your reaction speed rather than if you watched a video online.

I really hope they are able to nail down the dynamic boss fights based on events in the world/your parties performance. And I don’t mean just that they are dynamic in some way, but that each time I fight a boss the party does have to adapt and pay attention to what’s going on.

I find myself getting very bored with dungeon/raid content in many other mmos after the first 1 or 2 times I do it. It eventually just turns into trying to figure out how to do it faster and becomes a chore.

IS’s statements regarding dynamic dungeon/raid bosses gives me a lot of hope to actually enjoy doing this content again.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I incorporated #2 in a dragon raid boss fight I posted many moons ago on here.....
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited April 2022
    Neat ideas! I especially like the #1! What other great boss mechanics and abilities can you all think of? ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    I think that it's worth saying that there is NO PROBLEM with taking inspiration from other games for boss mechanics! And I agree that a boss should have a learnable mechanic and not something that isn't intuitive after a few attempts.

- Some reactive elements.
    - Stacking/spacing out mechanics.
    - Positional i.e. move to front/side/back of boss, or a position in a room.
    - Use of "wind" or pushbacks/pulls
    - Cone/Area attacks.
    - Mechanic based - i.e. perhaps you have to "overheal" a dot to clear it, or maybe you need to let a dot run off WITHOUT dispelling it.

- Use of environment i.e interact/move an object. Think, boss is a dragon sieging a castle, you are on the castle walls. You launch your assault with the ranged, the melee have a side objective which leads to shooting harpoons into it or boiling oil to maim/sustain it. Then enter a next phase to fight on the ground, or on the boss depending on size!

One thing is just injecting these ideas - another is doing it in a creative way. A dragon may launch molten lava in an arena, there is some mechanics that requires raid members to move, then the dragon raises its wings, "alerting the player" that it's about to take to the air, where the force also pushes party members back. Small damage, but high damage if you get pushed into those lava pools.

Make it thematic to the boss and be creative.

Also, enrage timers. There is a time and a place for soft/hard enrage. I don't know really know when this is. But I think it would be better to incorporate more soft enrages, or in short if you fail mechanics, rather than 1 shot the raid, it either empowers the boss, debuffs the raid but puts the clock on for resources.

Have some one shot mechanics for things which absolutely should be avoided.

Just food for thought - be creative!