Appearance of my character (Armor sets etc)

I found this question on reddit and I dont know if the person already asked it in the forums. And so I am asking it!!

You spend all this time creating the perfect character, and then you immediately cover them with armor and head pieces such that you won't even be able to see the vast majority of your customization. Will we have the ability to turn off "the look" of certain armor pieces while still keeping it on for it's stats/set bonuses? For example, will I be able to turn off head pieces so that I can see my characters head/face without physically taking the headpiece off and losing that stat-gains from it?

Further along those lines, will I be able to customize my look without necessarily changing my stat/set-bonus gear? If I have a set that I really want the stats from, but don't like the look of, can I wear another set purely for it's cosmetics? (Like the glamour system in FFXIV Online or the Transmog system in WOW).
Thanks for the answer in advance!!

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I expect we will be able to turn off head pieces.
    Now that I've seen the torso tatoo and scarification options for Vek, I'm hoping we have options to turn off chest pieces.
    Seems likely we will be able to use the transmog system for that. Ashes does have transmog.

We'll have to see if we can get this question answered in a Dev Livestream Q&A.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2022
    You found the question yet you didnt look for any answers. So you asked the same question again.

Goes to show that people go look in the comments section rather than actually watching the video or reading up on a topic.

Are you rly worried that in 2022 costumization and hide helmet wont be a thing in mmos?
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Appearance_slots

Helmet display can be toggled on and off.[17]

This is one of the things I also find concerning. Creating the perfect character and never seeing them again.
    Maybe we can get some good old school Conan looks. Loin cloth and boots so people can show off their work from the character creator.
    Number 8 3:00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vAeVhTfGw
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Yeah - it’s interesting the amount of time we can spend sculpting our character’s face then spend 90-95% of the time looking at the back of their head. 🤣
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Where possible, I flip the camera around to the front.

Dynamic camera would be nice.
    I hate it when then camera auto-moves to behind the back and it's impossible to record your character running towards the camera or directly towards the camera.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited April 2022
    We know that having options and the ability to see the awesome and unique character that one makes is important to our players :)

Stay tuned for more information on gear appearances as we progress further in development! ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ)

What are some of the appearances you'd like your character to take on in Ashes of Creation?
    community_management.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Yeah - it’s interesting the amount of time we can spend sculpting our character’s face then spend 90-95% of the time looking at the back of their head. 🤣

At least it’s not Cyberpunk 2077 where you never see yourself without looking in a mirror. Or Anthem, where I literally forgot my character's face after playing for a while because they don’t even have mirrors.

Hhak63P.png
  • My biggest concern is not with the ability to show/hide armor pieces, but rather how that will play nicely with their "threat assessment" designs. They want to make sure you are able to do a visual threat assessment of opponents, how does that work if people are able to hide things?
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    My biggest concern is not with the ability to show/hide armor pieces, but rather how that will play nicely with their "threat assessment" designs. They want to make sure you are able to do a visual threat assessment of opponents, how does that work if people are able to hide things?
    Icons under your target's HP bar. I too would rather have no transmog and clear threat assessment, but, alas, we live in the age of fashion.