Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Furnishing Ships

So I didn't see anything on the Wiki regarding Furnishing your Ships. Will we be able to have a Captain's Quarters that we can furnish like a house? Will the storage on your ship be crafted using Carpentry (chests, barrels, etc.) or will there be special ship only storage containers under Ship Building?
f51pcwlbgn8a.png

Comments

• I very much like this idea. Have also seen no previous mention; Sounds like a good question for the monthly Q&A thread that is now up!

• Posted in the Q&A! Hopefully they answer in the next livestream!!
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I look forward to reading this question in the Q&A thread ^_^ thanks for the submission!
    community_management.gif
  • If I can't tune my ship like in Need for Speed 1, rap music included, ill be disappointed
  • Marcet wrote: »
    If I can't tune my ship like in Need for Speed 1, rap music included, ill be disappointed

From the starboard to the port hole. Till sweat drips down my...
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    It would be cool to use the character creator to sculpt the figurehead.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • I would like a playable Organ or something where i can bellow of pirate of the Caribbean music for all to hear withing X distance when you begin a naval fight :P
  • Sorry to come on board this late after the maiden voyage of the thread...

Has anything been said if ships could act as a player house? Past a certain size and not with all the benefits of one attached to a node, but with some limited functions normally in the domain of player housing. Storage, sleeping buff, maybe very basic crafting stations (kitchen for cooking, portable mini forge, nothing advanced).
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022
    Percimes wrote: »
    Has anything been said if ships could act as a player house? Past a certain size and not with all the benefits of one attached to a node, but with some limited functions normally in the domain of player housing. Storage, sleeping buff, maybe very basic crafting stations (kitchen for cooking, portable mini forge, nothing advanced).

That sounds spectacular, but it might be pretty harsh if another player destroys your ship. One of the factors of risk and reward in player housing is the chance for node destruction to cause you to lose your house. I'm not sure Steven would allow people to just bypass that risk aspect, so between that, and the fact that any kind of mobile storage facility can't be safer than caravans, "house boats" might not be immune to attack. It's a bit more than I'm into, but I can see how some people might take it.

I'll definitely hope for a "shore-side" freehold skin, for myself, that gives the same effect.

That said, as a woodworker: Ship furniture? Yes please! (Bind on equip could solve the "caravan" problem.)
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope we can have some kind of customization, even if it's not treated the same as housing. Maybe to a limited degree.

I think of Star Wars: The Old Republic. I was disappointed that there was zero customization for player ships, even though you had the option to walk around in them and interact with NPCs, and so on. Later on, you could also do things like add a mail terminal to the ship to make it more functional.

But you could never add wall decorations, or put a new couch in the lounge, and so on. I missed those little personalizations that made it feel like more than a sterile place to talk to an NPC for a mission.

Later on, they gave us real housing, and we could drop furniture, add terminals, and so on. The kinds of things I wish we could do on our starships. It felt like a lost opportunity.

So, I'd really like it if in Ashes, we have the chance to personalize the interior of ships. Not to make a ship into a floating freehold or anything, but just to give you a bit of very limited housing that travels with you. Enough that it's not just a sterile ship like every other ship everyone has (which is how SW:TOR starships were) but to make it your ship.

Hhak63P.png
  • Percimes wrote: »
    Sorry to come on board this late after the maiden voyage of the thread...

It'd be great if ships will have holds and rooms that can be decorated, BUT they should not be able to be used in the way of resource-storage. As @SongRune points out, this would negate some of the risk factor that Intrepid wants to capture.

It should be pointed out that this *could* cause a MAJOR PROBLEM if not done correctly, though: If the items aren't coded not to render for people coming closer to the ship (i.e. a passenger goes into the interior and pre-loads the items, then the ship sails into naval PvP), it can lag the other players on other ships who then come into range. Very late in SWG, it was speculated that this had been a cause of some crashes in big-numbers space PvP, in regards to the multi-person spacecraft. Same concept applies here, just in a different setting.