Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What hair color limitations would you like to see in Ashes of Creation? (Poll and Discussion)

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Humans will have options for old age and wrinkles in the character creator. And probably in some form of barber that allows us to change our appearance.

It will be interesting to see how old age appears on the non-Human races.
    Py'Rai and Vek might not become wrinkled in old age.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, after your input I hope for withered Py'Rai which is rather wizened.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Neurath wrote: »

It's a missed opportunity if their branches can't be made to look knotted and weathered.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It seems like a fairly rational progression
    Noaani wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »
    Our characters should age and get wrinkly and old too. Preferably quickly to drive the game play loop for something completely cosmetic. There are plenty of people who don't care about their characters appearance. It's really unfair people are walking around here looking unrealistically beautiful. It interferes with their immersion.

And then Intrepid can make a ton of cash selling people the mats on the cash store since it's still a cosmetic for a continuous revenue stream. After all it's just a cosmetic.

In other words...
    Reasoned argument
    Hyperbole!

Is that about it?

Hmm? You aren't interested in the idea? I figured you would be given you don't generally care what your character looks like and it follows the exact same logical progression.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Lithion wrote: »
    In my opinion, fluorescent or neon colored hair does not belong in this game. Same with dyes on armor/weapons.

Why not?

They are not natural colors. I'm not saying you can't have green hair, but keep it in neutral greens. And i don't want to see people running around in all neon pink armor either. It's an eye sore. Keep that for games like Guild Wars.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    (I mean...some of the monthly cosmetics already have horrid bright purple and green combos.)
  • Options

It's a missed opportunity if their branches can't be made to look knotted and weathered.

Yeah I agree. I'd also like horns like my elven demon nymph princesses to be available. I'm still not sure if we can change hairstyles in game like galaxies. I think if we get the chance we should be able to modify horns too - perhaps blunt them or sharpen them or change them.

I'm all for personal choice ^^
    Neu
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It seems like a fairly rational progression
    Our characters should age and get wrinkly and old too. Preferably quickly to drive the game play loop for something completely cosmetic. There are plenty of people who don't care about their characters appearance. It's really unfair people are walking around here looking unrealistically beautiful. It interferes with their immersion.

And then Intrepid can make a ton of cash selling people the mats on the cash store since it's still a cosmetic for a continuous revenue stream. After all it's just a cosmetic.

In other words...
    Reasoned argument
    Hyperbole!

Is that about it?

Hmm? You aren't interested in the idea? I figured you would be given you don't generally care what your character looks like and it follows the exact same logical progression.

Yeah, but perma-death follows the same logical conclusion as wanting meaningful PvP. It is in fact the most meaningful.

Doesn't mean I want it though.
  • Options
    I don't see how skin aging is different from hair dye fading. You'd have to enlighten me.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Literally any color is fine with me.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I don't see how skin aging is different from hair dye fading. You'd have to enlighten me.

Your suggestion forces player character appearance to change from what the player set it as.

Mine does not do this.

If you had have said that players could opt in to have their character age, cool. Forcing it on everyone though, you know that is a stupid suggestion that you only made in an attempt to provoke.
  • Options
    ZalemZalem Member
    There should be no limits on hair colors. And the "strange" hair colors should be actual hair colors treated like any other hair color and NOT dyes. That's rather unfair to anyone who doesn't want regular colors. I've also been in games that use temporary dye systems. It sucks and I don't want it in this game. Leave (permanent) dyes for armor, weapons and the like.
  • Options

Your suggestion forces player character appearance to change from what the player set it as.

Mine does not do this.

If you had have said that players could opt in to have their character age, cool. Forcing it on everyone though, you know that is a stupid suggestion that you only made in an attempt to provoke.

I could say the same for 'forcing characters to have natural colors only' though.

If you view it as a provocation you have my apologies. You made a post quoting yourself in a way that sounded like you were bored and wanted someone to argue with. So I thought we might as well go for round two.

• Options

Mine does not do this.

I could say the same for 'forcing characters to have natural colors only' though.
    Well, you kind of can't. With my suggestion, when a player accepts the character they made, it stays as they made it. With your suggestion, it continues to change.

That is the difference - as I said above and you just quoted.

My suggestion has a minor limitation at character creation that can be overcome in game should a player wish (much as you can't create a level 50 character, but can arrive at level 50 via playing the game).

Your suggestion forces player characters to change I appearance regardless of the desires of the player.

Again, I am fully aware that you are simply trying to provoke with this line, as it is very clearly not something you would want. I am also fully aware that you are cognizant of the inhetent differences in what you have suggested in relation to what I have suggested.

I have to say, while definitely not above myself, I honestly thought such things were above you. Guess I was wrong there.

---

As an addition to the suggestion made earlier about temporary dye, if it were temporary, it would cost significantly less per use than if it were permanent, while still fulfilling the same role in the games economy.

This means players can far more readily experiment with different color combinations, which had to be a good thing for most people.

Obviously dye could just be both cheap and permanent, but then it fails to fulfil an economic role at all.

Further, Intrepid could set some specific colors aside as unobtainable through general means, and only make said colors available if you are king/queen of a castle, mayor of a metropolis, or head of a religion or social organization.

I kind of like the idea of a specific shade of purple only available to in game royalty. Obviously other purples would be available to all, however.
  • Options
    The reason I claim you can argue they are similar is that if you ban certain colors from character creation you have basically made me unable to 'opt out' of the suggested 'faded dye system' if I want a certain hair color. Additionally your suggestion calls for a restriction at character select that are clearly present in game in a way that just outright robs me of in game options that could be permanent but aren't due to your theoretical design. In the case of aging skin perhaps an 'ashy look' that accumulates as a cosmetic effect over time from death lets say until you apply some alchemical cosmetic item, you are similarly deprived of choice as you have said from the very start of character creation. Hyperbole? Yes. Principly similar? Also yes.

As for your additions almost all of those are pure speculation as we don't know what the cost of dyes are yet, whether or not beauty access will be free and how it will be accessed. We therefore also don't know how much easier it would be for people to test out new variations.

Fading dyes could be a cool thing to add to the game over all though even if it's a small niche, I have to admit. I hadn't thought about it before. Could be cool if it comes without the restrictions you want to impose to things other than the item itself at character select.

I'm sure Stephen would agree with you on the 'exclusive color for royalty' thing though. I don't like it, but I'd accept it in game without much of a fuss if there were things close to it achievable in game.

---

As for your 'I thought this was above you statement'. You have stated you are only here to entertain us/yourself and argue. You also tend to try and grab peoples attention. So while most people who argue in good faith are given a many number of courtesies, you don't really need or want them from me. You DO want to be entertained however. So I have decided to 'be a good sport' and sometimes use tactics you use when it means you get an interesting argument even if it is 'weaker' than your own. If you don't want me to do that I am more than happy to not. It will mean I will ignore you more though even if you quote me tho. What's best for community engagement in your eyes here?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    My expectation is that there will be (and probably should be) some cultural color restrictions among the 9 player races.
    There should be natural hair colors for each race - and also plenty unnatural colors to choose from - but at least a small number of culturally forbidden colors for each culture.

I'll let the devs decide which colors would be forbidden for each culture.

(I love the faded dye concept. Seems likely that will be possible with the UE5 character creator.)
  • Options
    They are not natural colors. I'm not saying you can't have green hair, but keep it in neutral greens. And i don't want to see people running around in all neon pink armor either. It's an eye sore. Keep that for games like Guild Wars.
    What if some of the races have natural neon color hair though? like maybe the Py'rai have pink hair like flower petals or the Vek have purple hair because its just a racial thing. These are all made up races with whatever lore Steven decides it to be, so we don't even know what's "Natural" to this world. Also the world is just filled with so many bright colored plants and animals and crazy plasma colored magic, why would it be so out of the ordinary to see people dye their hair the same colors you see all around them?

We have turtles with galaxy shells,
    s1eaprloz9ul.png
    Stuffed animals you can ride,
    se6pg1v91y9n.png
    Bright pink rideable crystals,
    th14tr9z5mqe.jpg
    Boats with bright rainbow flames as sails,
    lwpiucogmv0j.jpg
    neon green and purple sphynx mounts,
    ewpqqjltvcs2.jpg
    Pets that are a walking tornado and neon blue lighting,
    t6rjxtqxcaup.jpg
    Hot pink Tree houses and clothing,
    31nbd5895gh1.jpg
    Armor with glowing red aura pulsing all over,
    764d8if2pzy5.jpg
    Bright cyan rideable snails,
    qtnvcvevt6zg.jpg
    Horses and houses with glowing neon blue fire,
    3xehbywz5qjf.jpg
    Purple haired rideable horse mounts,
    srvoxhw3b1rk.jpg
    bright red haired horses
    uo8hc1bqbcmn.jpg
    s6yfcf2suovl.png
    Hot pink and lime green houses, carriages, hats and armor
    2zdo9tgjnm18.png
    Ducks with bright cyan mane, and purple feathered ducks
    unxi4ct9ojy5.png
    Snails and mounts that have bright green minerals, and red skin
    ld5n5v0o9i9b.png
    Bright blue water creatures as pets,
    p0b4a1qjesov.jpg
    Horses with neon blue manes that float and move like an aurora borealis
    tfu9c995h9b2.jpg

All that is just from the monthly cosmetics, not including all the other stuff we have seen too, like glowing neon green and pink walking mushroom enemies in the UE5 trailer and much more.

So you are saying even with all that everywhere in the world and walking around in towns and on and with all the players in the world, that those colors are "not natural colors"? How is it that if a few people who like to have different colored hair have those colors on then its "an eyesore" but all these bright and glowing and cosmic things all over the game already aren't? You say save that for a game like guild wars but this game already has all those bright magical world colors all over the place, so how would it be unnatural or weird to see the humanoids in this world also decide to adorn themselves with these same colors? We see people in the real world with these colors already and we definitely don't have all these bright colors as common in everyday life around us as is going to be in the game. So why would we ask them to not allow players to dress how they want and color things how they want in this magical fantasy game, at least as much as they can in real life. Its supposed to be an escape from reality and were supposed to do things we wouldn't be able to in real life, so I just feel like restricting people to brown black or blonde just seems very limiting to me. That is all also just my opinion and at the end of the day its up to Steven and the team to decide what they think would be normal in the world of Verra. I love hearing everyone in the communities opinions though and seeing the other side of topics! Not trying to sound argumentative, I just get so impassioned when discussing things I love lol
  • Options
    The reason I claim you can argue they are similar is that if you ban certain colors from character creation you have basically made me unable to 'opt out' of the suggested 'faded dye system' if I want a certain hair color.
    But you are not prevented from having the hair color that you desire. It turns that in to gameplay - shocking, right?
    Additionally your suggestion calls for a restriction at character select that are clearly present in game in a way that just outright robs me of in game options that could be permanent but aren't due to your theoretical design.
    Actually, Steven has said in the past that he leans more towards natural only hair colors - specific to each race. Further to that point, if you look at the character creator video from a month or so ago, you will see that the only options are natural colors. You need only compare the palette when they are looking at hair styles to the palette when they are looking at nail color to see what they have planned.

So, my suggestion isn't taking anything at all away from you, and in fact is giving you something that you may not actually have.

You're welcome!
    You have stated you are only here to entertain us/yourself and argue.
    No I have not.

I have stated that I do make an effort to entertain myself here at times, and that I will not shy away from an argument (as you no doubt know anyway), but I have never said I am ONLY here for that.

I am primarily on these forums to discuss this game. The rest is just a bonus.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I'm happy with natural colours myself but I can see why some would want other colours.
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    I'm for natural colors.
  • Options
    You are not restricted from having non Ashy skin, it turns it into gameplay. Just get the mats for the skin clarity you want. Again, hyperbole, but it still tracks the logic quite well.

If Steven both restricts colors at character create and makes them available for purchase in the cash store, I think that is an anti-consumer move. If they are 'just a part of gameplay no cash shop options', it will be his decision, but it's still restricting character choice for basically no reason. I'll go play Thrones and Liberty at that point if the combat and crafting are equivalently good. At least NCSoft is up front about their swindling and the game will probably offer me plenty of options to have my character look the way I want without paying a dime in game play or cash.

As for the aside, you really could have fooled me. I'll continue to ignore you when I think you are being disingenuous then. Unfortunately that is quite often. I'll keep responding to you here though since it's the first good faith argument you've had in awhile that I also care about and I'm quite enjoying the practice.

• Options
    Restrict it to colors that occur naturally in that race. Neon pinks, electric blues, and eye-searing oranges are for cyberpunk and don’t fit into a high fantasy setting. Deeper versions of unnatural hues colors like blues, reds, and purples would look natural on the space orcs, maybe dark or dull greens for wood elves, etc.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Neon pinks, electric blues, and eye-searing oranges are for cyberpunk and don’t fit into a high fantasy setting.
    Who says those colors don't belong in a fantasy setting? Verra already has all those colors on all the animals and armor and pets, why would it be so weird to see it on peoples hair also? Look at my post above for all the examples listed of the bright vibrant colors all over the world in this game, and even the gameplay we saw today had goblins with neon glowing eyes and bright colored fur. These colors ARE natural to this world, it isn't even earth and they aren't even "humans" technically. I'm just saying, trying to say those colors don't match this game or the "high fantasy" genre is a bit off the mark to me. But again, just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    If Steven both restricts colors at character create and makes them available for purchase in the cash store, I think that is an anti-consumer move.
    I wouldn't want to see that either - which is why I never suggested it.

At this point though, the plan is just natural only hair color.

My suggestion keeps Stevens ideals in tact (which means it is an actual possibility - as opposed to no restrictions which is basically just not going to happen), allows freedom for those that really want it, and adds to the games economy, while also potentially adding gameplay elements.

Most people would see that as an all round win, but I guess some people will argue against anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I doubt dyes will be in the cash shop. However, in galaxies haircuts, changes and colours cost in game credits. I assume the devs will implement a similar gold sink for Ashes which won't include a hairdresser profession.

Edit: spelling mistakes
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I doubt dyes will be in the cash shop. However, in galaxies haircuts, changes and colours cost in game credits. I assume the devs will implement a similar gold sink for Ashes which won't include a hairdresser profession.
    Yeah, this is what I am expecting.

It would be a little odd to have dye in the cash shop, honestly. Regardless of if it is clothing or hair dye.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2022
    After mulling this over for a while, I am leaning towards giving players access to all colors for hair. Including the neon stuff. Whatever they decide on, I don't want Intrepid to gate any hair color behind the cash shop or ingame achievables. Let people play with the full palette.

• Options
    I have seen nothing on the wiki to support your claim that 'the plan is 'natural' hair colors only.' So either I missed it when double checking my information or it's one of your bad habits of claiming unciteable information as fact creeping in.

You can keep making that assumption tho; and while it's a valid assumption to make based on the current iteration of the CC, natural colors are the ones you'd want to get right first and in front of people's eyeballs. Alt pallets would come later. Especially if you wanted to add in natural feeling nonstandard colors without triggering the 'omg bleach my eyeballs I hate 'bright' colors' reaction.

I also don't know why you think it would be odd for IS to sell it in the cash shop. The only game play it effects is 'itself' so while it would certainly flaunt the line of anti-p2w, they could and probably would certainly argue it isn't p2w if their current approach to armor dyes is any indication of that. Again, I'd think it'd be sleazy to sell colors that don't exist on the character creator, but it is not necessarily inconsistent for IS to sell the concept of dyes themselves.

On the other hand there is clear precedent for selling exclusive color dyes (for gear) that won't be available to anyone else with in game effort. Cash only. I thought that's why you thought exclusive colors made sense in the games design philosophy.

350px-dyes.png

You may argue that was a kickstarter exception. But once a seller sets precedence for what type of thing they are willing to sell it usually stays in the conversation of 'a valid product category' if successful and usually try to expand it to other things potentially related to that category if it will make them money.

Once you have a division between hair colors available at CC and hair colors available in game, it becomes much easier and tempting to sell them on the cash shop as a so called 'cosmetic convenience' to make money. I for one don't trust them to not do this if such a paradigm were in effect.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I have seen nothing on the wiki to support your claim that 'the plan is 'natural' hair colors only.' So either I missed it when double checking my information or it's one of your bad habits of claiming unciteable information as fact creeping in.
    The thing is, while I may offer up general statements that Steven has made that are not on the wiki, I am very infrequently wrong about such things.

The wiki (rightly so) posts actual information as much as they can. Steven sometimes talks about his ideas and preferences. Said ideas and preferences are not hard information, and so should not be put on the wiki.

However, feel free to look over the current character creator video we have and try to find any non-natural hair color. You can disagree with me all you want, but the fact is that the actual work that Intrepid have done and shown us so far corroborates what I am saying.

So, even if you weren't around way back when Steven talked about what he had in mind with this, and even I'd you don't want to just outright believe me (which I suggest against anyway), then just look at the actual work Intrepid have done that actually shows this in action.
    I also don't know why you think it would be odd for IS to sell it in the cash shop.
    The quote you posted specifically says "normal dyes in game" which is Steven parlance for saying it is obtained in game, as opposed to kickstarter or store bought.

It would be odd if they didn't have in game dye because they have talked about in game dye before, in relation to people obtaining a look hey like without needing to use the cash shop.

You can't really say that people can avoid the cash shop, mix and match items and dye them to suit if the only dye is on the cash shop.
  • Options
    Just common colors. Not really into the whole blue, orange, purple, hot pink, type hair styles.