Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: Offline Characters as Node NPCs

Logged out PCs can be spawned as NPCs within Nodes, across places where Adventurers may hang out.

Essentially creating "blank" NPCs with specific dialogue options which can provide information about the areas they're in; which spawn with the name and look of a PC who happens to be offline.

As examples, having NPCs in places of crafting with commentary on unique opportunities for harvesting; or NPCs pointing out the general location of a special out of the way quest like "aye so I was adventuring over by -Insert Point of Interest in Zone- and found this individual in need of aid to -defeat or acquire quest objective.- Thing is, they were offering -sick fuckin' loot,- but I imagine I'll be wanting to gather a crew for taking care of that. I'm thinkin' when I'm rested up I'll get to that, for now, I could use a drink." I think the ideal situation might be even more vague, just NPCs mentioning a part of the zone which contains hidden goodies like a hidden path that leads to a particularly beautiful spot, or a treasure chest, or perhaps an easter egg.

But: here's the thing it's a limited pool and being reported constantly will get you banned from that feature might not even have to be limited, but still a feature you can lose access to for breaches of social conduct, bigotry, harassment, etc.

Of course I have no idea how complex such a feature would be to develop, but I think it would lend to a culture of reading NPC text as opposed to ignoring any NPC not directly relevant to one's current objectives. Developing a culture of quasi-roleplayers who notice and seek out NPCs when they reach a new zone, to perhaps gain insight into clues that lead them on exploratory journeys. It would also help make the world feel more alive; and also also, given that the NPC is essentially just wearing the skin of a PC, it can create situations where players might be introduced to another PC and see them again out in the world where they are inspired to chat with them, which could promote even more social engagement which is key to a strong MMO.

Comments

• Options
    I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts, but I just wanted to throw this idea out there.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    They could have customizable generic "Guild or Node" NPC reps which can provide some of the dialog mentioned even if its not an actual offline toon. Not sure how the actual voice dialog would get done. If not an NPC, then maybe a Bulletin Board setup which offers the same material in a written format for new town visitors.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    We basically already have a thread on this for alts. Freehold guards and Caravan mercenaries.
    If we can do it with alts, we will be able to do this with mains.

We'll need try to get a Dev Livestream answer at some point.

I think having them appear sporadically, with dialogue options is highly unikely.
  • Options
    That's actually sick as hell, I didn't see this thread unless it's the "freehold NPCs as Alts" which was close but not quite my thinking. But that does sound sick as hell.
  • Options
    I love this idea! If you log out in a node your character's likeness has a small chance to spawn as a filler npc and help others with clues--It's so good! I wonder how it would work if you logged back on while your npc likeness is still wandering around? Would people watch it change in front of them like a morphling or would you run into your own doppelganger? :D
  • Options
    Personally I think of it like a cloud of "verified" PCs who haven't been kicked out of the list for violations of etiquette etc; and having a few NPCs in various public spaces which cycle 'PC skins', routes, and habits (wandering around the tavern, etc) and whenever the character whose 'skin' is being worn by the NPC it swaps down the cycle of skins. Morphling is probably the easiest and probably wouldn't be too intrusive just due to attention on them being short-lived, but alternatively there could be outhouses or closets which these NPCs would enter and exit a new character, or perhaps there's a genius alternative option I'm not imagining.

But I also love it, feels like it could be a very subtle way of providing a feeling of social awareness (players seeing other PCs and getting advice from their NPC hosts; notable players 'showing up' in local hotspots resting and relaxing after long sessions of adventuring, etc) and making the world seem alive and populated.
  • Options
    While I'm all for anything that makes your characters feel like they're part of the world, I'm afraid this specific application, from a RP perspective could go against how you envision your character.

What if the mayor spawns in as some random adventurer? What if the voice/speech doesn't fit what you have for your character?

Maybe display them as some random patrons in a tavern, but having them interact with other people in the open world seems very tricky to me. Inside your own freehold following your chosen parameters, sure.
  • Options
    TheSturnOneTheSturnOne Member
    edited April 2022
    I think you could certainly opt out of such a feature. Some folks like building up an RP of a heroic adventurer who is a person of the people; some folks like an edgy or "mysterious" persona, a character-by-character opt-in or opt-out can solve that, and also such an option gives more time for those who would like their PC to interact with the world in their stead.

Ideally it would be a feature which is partially exclusive, leaving out players who've developed poor reputations for poor behaviour, but folks should definitely be able to tailor their own PC's persona through involvement or lack thereof in such spaces.
  • Options
    Here's the recent thread that's being referred to, @TheSturnOne ... in case you missed it:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/52276/alts-as-npcs-on-freeholds#latest
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Once a node has sponsoring guilds (1 - 3 of them depending on node size) then it might be interesting if the guild had the option of donating to the node so that the node guards and other NPCs would have jackets with the guild's emblem on it. Perhaps the doorman at the guild hall would automatically get such a jacket.
  • Options
    I think I would rather that be something the government chooses. Such that the Node guards represent the player government, rather than the player guilds.
    Guild hall NPC guards would wear guild emblems, of course.
  • Options
    And Freehold NPCs might even get livery chosen/designed by the Freehold owner. Gotta say, will definitely give me some sus vibes if someone turns their Freehold into something governed by Cult Aesthetics XD
  • Options
    Yes. I'm expecting we will be able to choose the livery we want for our Freehold and Caravan mercenaries.
    And I expect that some will have Cult Aesthetics.