Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crafting Recipes

RuinedRuined Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
When it comes to crafting recipes, in alpha-1 recipes were one time use. How does someone forget a recipe after it is learned? will this change in the future to be less frustrating and make more sense to players? How are craftsman supposed to make a living in game when they have to constantly purchase recipes to craft the same mid tier item, on top of purchasing the materials needed to craft?

Comments

• LogosGreyjoyLogosGreyjoy Member
    edited May 2022
    That's a really good point. When it comes to gear durability if an item is beyond repair and breaks and there are not ample crafting recipes then the player would SOL so this seems really inefficient as well.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Dunno if they will take this direction in crafting, but in L2 crafters would learn the recipe once to know how to craft the thing (and sell their services) but you'd still need to get more recipes to craft each new item. And the recipes themselves could be veeery rare (one drop in several hundred mobs) and would go for a ton of money on the market.

But what's important is that you only needed recipes for the gear part of crafting. The craftable resources only required the knowledge of the recipe, so anyone could use crafter's services to make resources w/o needed a recipe themselves. And the first crafters to get a full list of items in their recipe book would make millions just because they could set their own high price on their services
  • BOO! 'Boo' unto you, for calling them 'recipes'!

'Blueprints', 'schematics', 'designs'.... Anything to break away from the mold of World of Warcraft's 'recipes'!

I understand that even weapons, armor AND food were "cooked" in WoW - but for anyone NOT fond of WoW and it's MMO influence? ***PLEASE*** don't call them 'recipes'.... My Loaf of Bread and my Sword of a Thousand Truths should not require the same amount of time in the oven - even if they both require the magical component known as Cinnamon as an ingredient, and both require "cooking" time....

• NiKrNiKr Member
    BOO! 'Boo' unto you, for calling them 'recipes'!
    'Blueprints', 'schematics', 'designs'.... Anything to break away from the mold of World of Warcraft's 'recipes'!
    I understand that even weapons, armor AND food were "cooked" in WoW - but for anyone NOT fond of WoW and it's MMO influence? ***PLEASE*** don't call them 'recipes'.... My Loaf of Bread and my Sword of a Thousand Truths should not require the same amount of time in the oven - even if they both require the magical component known as Cinnamon as an ingredient, and both require "cooking" time....
    I understand and agree with your point, but WoW wasn't the only mmo to call them recipes. Lineage 2 (one of the biggest influences on Steven) also called any piece of paper, that told you how to craft smth, a recipe.
  • SpuriusSpurius Member
    In the original WoW, "recepies" were only for food and potions. Enchanting had "formulas", engeneering had "schematics" and so on.
  • crafters need to be able to craft unique items We need to be able to explore new recipes and profit from the results of this exploration, and create customized items for all styles of play. Crafters must have an audience to buy their goods. The loop between crafter and combatant has to exist! And, ideally, crafters need to be able to “mark” their product so that they can build a social reputation and a following.

The very concept that players can and will lose their items at some point is required, otherwise the game loop breaks. It is a very controversial topic for those who don’t like the potential of losing their items, and we understand that. But sometimes you have to embrace ideas that may not be popular at first glance, because they open up amazing areas of gameplay that are otherwise not accessible

Make crafting non strict. Allow for any variation possible. Yes there has to be categories but allow multiple options in that category. It will make for good exploration,while keeping crafting a surprise each time.IF ITEMS DONT BREAK OR GET LOST. THERE WILL BE NO ECONOMY AND NO MEANING FULL PROFESSIOns. Make an ecosystem. Where u need every profession to obtain your things. SWG was the greatest game when it came to this and I believe still had the greatest crafting ideas.

• I imagine that the rarer the food buff recipe the less common it is to find or harder to craft. Fried eggs and ham recipe might drop 1 every ten chicken kills but killing a dragon boss it might drop an entire raid plate that can feed everyone but it drops either less likely or might be much harder to craft. I just hope they are realish meals you can make that when you finish cooking it shows you the meal you made in UE5 and it looks so real and delicious that it makes you want to go make a sandwhich cuz your hungry. Make it look awesome and maybe have a fun minigame for quality. keep the player engaged
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    BOO! 'Boo' unto you, for calling them 'recipes'!

The game can call them what ever Intrepid decides, but people will still call them recipes.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022
    Idk, blueprint is a pretty good contender since it shortens to a two letter acronym. 'Do you have the sofa bp?'
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    JustVine wrote: »
    Idk, blueprint is a pretty good contender since it shortens to a two letter acronym. 'Do you have the sofa bp?'

I just can't see players calling a recipe for food a blueprint, but I can see players using a single term to refer to all recipes, regardless of what the game calls them.

To me, recipe is the only thing that really works.