Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make mushrooms great again!

Make mushrooms great again!
I think recently mushrooms as an enemy have been forgotten, nowadays they're usually some starter mob that appears in the tutorial once in some lame mushroom forest and then is completely forgotten. Now I realize this is a bit of a weird topic for a forum but when I saw that there were gonna be mushroom type monsters included in the game, I felt excited, cause as weird as it maybe I love them.
Now coming back to the role they serve in most rpgies, I think they could be so much more, mushroom forests are such a magical place to be in when it comes to just areas, and I would love to at least see one massive mushroom forests in the map. Now as I mentioned mushrooms are usually a starter mob, and that’s all cool as I think they're exceptionally good for this role when u keep in mind that in fantasy they’re not known to be especially strong, but I do think they could be much more. Now basically what I want is for mushrooms to not only serve as a lower-level enemy that is forgotten later on in game but for them to be an important mark in the mob hierarchy.
Maybe as you go deeper into the forest, I feel like there should be stronger mushroom mobs and even bosses, there could be some secrets to discover in the forest. This would be like a little overlooked treasure trove, with npcies not giving the place a second thought and most players perhaps quick to move on to other seemingly more exciting areas as they level up but not actually delving deep into the forest which would be their loss. There could even be some Mushroom world boss in there, a massive fungus that gained scary levels of life force or mana from feeding of the luscious forest for centuries. Add to that there could be many quests surrounding the forest. Most of them seeming like innocent little errands at first but moving on to be some of the most intense quests in the entire game (started with going to fetch some mushrooms for the old lady in the village type of thing), and of course with this would come a lot of powerful weapons and artifacts forgotten through time. And I would imagine such a place to have some deep lore, perhaps being one of the first forests in existence. I also love the idea of strong enemies appearing weak at first, and I think this would work very well with this forest. Rn I'm just brainstorming ideas, but I hope I've given you an idea of what I mean by ‘make mushrooms great again’.
One last thing I wanted to mention are exclusive events. Im not going to go too in depth in this post about them but I do think that there should be some LIMITED TIME events surrounding the mushroom forest, uncovering secrets etc. and with rare and exclusive mushroom themed weapons up for grabs. Point is I think its very important for some of these weapons to be exclusive for reason I will go into in another post titled ‘the importance of exclusives’ which will go over why I think they are important to build a well functioning economy in the long term.

Comments

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The mushroom mobs in Alpha were some of the strongest mobs out in the field due to their status effects and good physical damage. I too hope they continue with keeping them scaled up with level. They have a lot of interesting possible mechanics for higher level combat.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mushrooms are great, it's also great to break up one paragraph 30 lines tall into multiple paragraphs... :dizzy:

Ashes seems to be really leaning into the "Mushroom Monster" idea a lot more than most MMORPGs, just judging by Alpha 1, so if you are a fan of them I don't think you'll be disappointed.

There were mushroom monsters in caves and also in swamps. There were multiple quests focused on them.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JanaosJanaos Member
    Atama wrote: »
    Mushrooms are great, it's also great to break up one paragraph 30 lines tall into multiple paragraphs... :dizzy:

Ashes seems to be really leaning into the "Mushroom Monster" idea a lot more than most MMORPGs, just judging by Alpha 1, so if you are a fan of them I don't think you'll be disappointed.

There were mushroom monsters in caves and also in swamps. There were multiple quests focused on them.
    haha sorry on the app I was writing this on I pressed enter and since I’m on phone it was showing me that I skipped lines but then when I pasted I guess it didn’t copy out that way lol

• Options
    LithionLithion Member
    I have a feeling you will be a fan of the under realm, i suspect there will be plenty of mushrooms in the area completely underground that is the size of 25% of the overworld map. I also feel like the tulnar race buildings might have mushrooms on them but who knows, we will have to see. Keep an eye out for more under realm info and lets hope for your mushroom forest down there with a giant mushroom king lol.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I will admit, my favorite area in World of Warcraft was always Zangarmarsh (from the Burning Crusade expansion). From the music, to the weird blue/purple lighting, to the swamps and giant mushrooms and weird stilt-walking creatures. Something about that place always appealed to me.

149792-explore-zangarmarsh.jpg

Giant mushrooms are just cool. Giant mushroom creatures are also cool.

Hhak63P.png