Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Events

LIMITED TIME EVENTS
I think this is sooo important, normal events (repeatable) are awesome and obviously hard to get right but I think the community has already provided enough feedback around them which you should totally listen to, but what I haven’t seen anyone talk about are limited time events, which in my opinion are just as important and hard to get right. So I think il summarize what I think are the most important features of a good limited time event.
-limitedness. Obviously, yet I see so many games messing this up. Limited time events MUST be rare, they’re not very limited if they’re happening every week, even once a month is too much imo. I’d rather have one limited time event and that blew me off quality and fun wise and have that once a year than 12 mid ones I’d have forgotten within a week.
-exclusivity. the whole concept of these events is to provide exclusive, otherwise unobtainable gear and rewards, and it’s just so important you actually keep that promise. Doing one of these events and then making the rewards available to get again a month later cause people are pressuring you is a no no. This way you break the trust and happiness of those who grinded during the event to get that limited gear.

-Work put in. I think many game devs are like “well this is a time limited event so we shouldn’t put too much work into it cause well it’s gonna have to go someday anyway”. Now, there has to be a balance, obviously u don’t want to invest too much time into developing an event if your game is lacking but you shouldn’t completely abandon them either. Limited events can be moments people remember for years thereafter, unforgettable experiences that make the game special to them for many years. Moments they will look back on as the “good ol’ days”,so they better be amazing if you wanna make an impact and I can tell you first hand, they can.

-difficulty. Lastly, I think I’ve seen many people comment on this already so I won’t go too in depth, but just like for normal events difficulty is important so it is for limited time events, or even more so cause there’s gonna be limited gear up for grabs right. You want to make it so that everyone can enjoy the event, but only the most dedicated players get the exclusive loot and stuff. You don’t want to shroud everyone with exclusives cause you will ruin the economy but want to give (still reasonably hard) but no insanely difficult items a place as well. All in all the difficulty is going to be pretty hard to balance but it’s vital that you do so which is why I recommend you try things out before hand

That’s all I have to say for now about events and I hope you consider my feedback as well😉 one last thing I wanted to add is an idea for one of these events. A Launch event! What better way to start the life of a legendary game then through a legendary event. Oh and don’t forget the exclusive rewards for the og’s😏

Comments

• Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The main issue with this, as you mentioned, is that development time is incredibly valuable and spending effort creating such limited time events might not the most efficient way to spend time/money. They will already have limited time events like the ones you’re describing through the various seasonal/holiday events.
  • Options
    JanaosJanaos Member
    VmanGman wrote: »
    The main issue with this, as you mentioned, is that development time is incredibly valuable and spending effort creating such limited time events might not the most efficient way to spend time/money. They will already have limited time events like the ones you’re describing through the various seasonal/holiday events.
    I realise this but I just think it’s so worth it, playing games it was always the limited time events that stood out years later to be the most memorable. Also as much as I like season/holiday events I do hope they branch out into other limited events such as festivals in game and stuff