Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Server transfers should be free (at least in language diverse regions) + servers need language tags

So, something that a lot of mmos fuck up in europe, is to properly tag their servers with languages, it leaves it to the communities to figure out who goes where and it makes it frustrating and awful having to realise after playing for a while, that on a server you are playing you will have nearly no interaction because very few if any people speak your language. this isnt always something that is obvious quickly or at the start, at launch of an mmo in particular, if they dont have enough servers with enough tags. i dont think there should be any language lock, but there should be a server for every language in at least europe so people know where to go to seek communication.
«1

Comments

  • Options
    I disagree that you should get free server transfers just because your region is multi lingual. Either they make all server transfers free or they dont.

    As for your issue, I'm gonna need another solution, because I dont have any to give atm. Just know that selective freebies is not going to fly.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    No free transfers, yes language tagging as a suggestion for the players.
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    Learn Esperanto?

    It worked for William Shatner.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’m in favor of not charging for server transfers.

    Because you don’t allow server transfers.
     
    Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Preferred language tags is not a bad idea at all - server transfers are a hard no.
  • Options
    It would be abused. Maybe if you couldnt transfer materials
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    insomnia wrote: »
    It would be abused. Maybe if you couldnt transfer materials

    I would assume a lot of stuff wouldn't transfer. Gear that requires unlocks not available on the server is another. Freehold placement, node citizenship, reputation, possibly even most of your mounts due to the stable system. I don't see a problem with it if it's strict in minimizing stuff not possible on the server transfering over. I would probably also only allow it once in a life time
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we just say 'No Server Transfers' then the problem is solved. After all, you can always re-roll on another server, right?
  • Options
    Definitely no on server transfers, make a new character if you want to be on a different server. Language tags sound like a good suggestion.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    tautau wrote: »
    If we just say 'No Server Transfers' then the problem is solved. After all, you can always re-roll on another server, right?

    Exactly.

    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    FreyaFreya Member
    the reroll is a bad solution because it might waste a week or two worth of time
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Freya wrote: »
    the reroll is a bad solution because it might waste a week or two worth of time
    And server transfer w/o loss of property/gear/resources/money would bring imbalance to the new server.
  • Options
    FreyaFreya Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    Freya wrote: »
    the reroll is a bad solution because it might waste a week or two worth of time
    And server transfer w/o loss of property/gear/resources/money would bring imbalance to the new server.


    if property is a concern they can disable that but keep the character level
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Freya wrote: »
    if property is a concern they can disable that but keep the character level
    At the point where you might need a transfer, the leveling process will most likely be way shorter than the currently projected one, while getting new gear/property/etc (of the same quality), on a new server where you don't know anyone, would take you way longer.

    But starting a new character and integrating into the server's community from the very start would not only flow smoother, but would also let other people to know you better.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Freya wrote: »
    So, something that a lot of mmos fuck up in europe, is to properly tag their servers with languages, it leaves it to the communities to figure out who goes where and it makes it frustrating and awful having to realise after playing for a while, that on a server you are playing you will have nearly no interaction because very few if any people speak your language. this isnt always something that is obvious quickly or at the start, at launch of an mmo in particular, if they dont have enough servers with enough tags.

    I have to say, in decades of playing online games, I have never experienced this.

    How can you not notice pretty quickly that nobody in chat is speaking your language? I'd say if you're that dense, you deserve the pain of a reroll.

    Language tags are fine, sure. I don't see any harm in that. But allowing for free server transfers because gosh, after playing for 30 hours I just realized everyone was speaking German. Come on now.
     
    Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most EU servers I have played on in the past had a cast of players speaking multiple languages.
    Most US servers had predominately English and sometimes the predominant language switched during off-peak.

    There is already a planned cap on numbers per server and those servers are globally / geographically divided, I see only destructive results by further dividing the community by language.

    I think transfers could be free within the first month and/or 1 free transfer, thereafter have to pay.

  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Also, the devs have said we will be able to determine the population of servers before we join.
    This might be an issue the first month or so.
    Seems like Communities might already be established to a decent degree by the end of Alpha 2.
    And very likely to be solidified with server designation during Headstart.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    That's a good point actually. I feel really bad for anyone who's claiming their name registration on a particular server, only to find out later that nobody with their language joined it at launch. It's hard to research that in advance, and if your name is taken elsewhere, you can't even transfer. Language tags are a must.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022
    A definite no thanks to server transfers, free or paid. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Server_transfers

    As for language tags, I'd be ok with that in an informal way at least. Community-driven. As far as we know, we'll likely be getting server pre-registering before launch, a bit like SWTOR did. If a bunch of german guilds decide to go on the Bratwurst server, to a point where it's clear germans are going to be a majority, I'd be ok if Intrepid tags it as a german majority server, even if the official language is still english.

    I would hate to end up on a server with a majority of non-english speakers myself. I am pretty sure most of us in the nordics feel the same. I mean, I am cool with playing with anyone in europe, just, use english please, for zone/node/general chat.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Freya wrote: »
    the reroll is a bad solution because it might waste a week or two worth of time

    A week or two of effort is a drop in a bucket when it comes to an MMORPG.

    Player reputation is important in AoC, because community is important in AoC. Server transfers (easy or not) give an out for players who ruin their reputation. It allows them to escape consequences, and that's a no go.
  • Options
    DeftlyDeftly Member
    I disagree for a PvP game. Using NW as an example, when things didn't go a faction's way, everyone jumped ship. If a huge guild were in charge of a city and lost it, they would most likely go to another server where they could be on top.

    If there was a leading guild and people didn't band together to beat them, they would just leave. Players will always pick the easier option.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Deftly wrote: »
    Players will always pick the easier option.

    Substitute 'humans' for 'players'.

    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JanaosJanaos Member
    I say no to free server transfers… but! I do imagine server transfers could be somehow implemented as in game more or something, where you have to collect world fragments or complete some other (decently difficult) task to be able to server transfer. This will mean people won’t be server hopping all the time and I think would work fairly well with the game
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As I said above, hard NO to transfers.

    But to go back to the OP, there is no way that an official language on a server can be enforced. Sure, a SA server will likely have Spanish and Portuguese players in a majority, but they cannot kick off Polish, English or Bantu speakers.

    Even if they listed a server as German, French or Korean, they cannot enforce it. Word will get around among Korean speakers that server 'Crow3' is friendly to them so there may be more Korean players there than on 'Janaos' server, but likely all servers will have many languages.

    I had a character on L2 whose name, when translated to Mandarin, happened to mean 'Supreme Wife of Household' (totally without intention). When I ran by, some players would stand aside and bow, which puzzled me until it was explained to me.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Server tranfers do not work well with Ashes because servers have diverse histories - your character may have vanquished a boss on your server that never appeared on any other server - which means that character has access to gear and augments that don't exist in the current history of the new server.
  • Options
    Server transfer - No or severely restricted plz.
    Language tags - Could be a nice idea, but estimating number of players per language and then assigning the language tags to servers properly could be a hard thing to do right.

    Btw, given that machine-translations have been getting better over the recent years, adding an in-game translation tool (powered by google or whatever) may help alleviate the language problem ...
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    A server for each language in Europe
    Freya wrote: »
    ...there should be a server for every language in at least europe so people know where to go to seek communication.

    Europe has 24 official languages and around 200 spoken languages across the continent. And I'm pretty sure the server for my language would end up almost empty since most people here are fine with communicating in english.

    Some servers with language tags for the most common languages like german, french and spanish could be a good idea. I've seen that in other games.

    It's so annoying to end up on a server where the majority doesn't speak english in the world/map chat.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The downside to language tags is that it is inevitable that servers with different tags will - at some point - need to be merged together.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    The downside to language tags is that it is inevitable that servers with different tags will - at some point - need to be merged together.

    Then the German and Spanish servers become the German/Spanish server.
     
    Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Atama wrote: »
    Then the German and Spanish servers become the German/Spanish server.

    That would make that server - like my grandmother - 'German-ish'.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
Sign In or Register to comment.