Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ships and hijacking them

DrunkninjaDrunkninja Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
After some discussion on the discord today and looking at the Wiki, I'm curious about everyone's thought's on the little blurb about hijacking ships.

What ships do you think can be hijacked? Do you like the concept of being able to steal other ships? Would battles over ships and people being pirates and trying to take a ship as a prize appeal to you?

Comments

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    My thoughts on hijacking ships ARRR ๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธ as follows ๐Ÿ˜œ:

Y'all better watch your backs out there because I'll be hunting for booty and I'll hijack whoever I need to for it ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Come fer me ship or crew, and I'll jab yer jib, wrap your riggin' with some new chain, or maybe even shove a 32-pounder right up yer captain's cabin.

When I'm through you'll be usin' your foremast fer a dinghy oar.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You don't have to steal my ship to get my booty, Honey.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited May 2022
    It depends the depth of the sea content, if their really is awesome naval warfare and siege battles that take place at sea, then i assume there will also be some intensely epic ships, and if that's the case then i definitely look forward to experiencing the epic moment as i sit upon my metropolis walls and watch as the enemy fleet rounds the corner of the inlet with their flagship spearheading the mad dash to shore while our fire ballista's unleash a torrent of flame upon their battle ready ships.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: ยป
    You don't have to steal my ship to get my booty, Honey.

Hello, sailor!
    ย 
    Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Depends on the complexity and the advantage to the defender.

If it's rather simple to hijack and ship and there is no clear advantage or the attacker is more likely to win then I'm more towards no PvP hijacking.
    If it's in favour of the defender however then I'm more on board for it.

Without a defender having a clear advantage I'm worried that it will create a steep curve for getting into naval content as newer players could easily lose their ships.
    Player owned Naval Caravans I think hijacking is fine though as it's part of the risk involved.

My biggest thing would be I'd want hijacking a player owned ship to cause corruption (unless it's a caravan).
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We have one pvx naval zone so far to my knowledge. The flagging system should apply in the sea but you might have coastal node zone of control in a certain range into the sea too.

Both land and naval caravans should be hijackable after confirmation of military intent.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AidanKDAidanKD Member
    I think that the concept of Hijacking is interesting but just want to know how you balance it. I think that I would make the following assumptions on mechanics:

- The hijacked ship should act as a temporary vehicle. You only get it until perhaps you "dock" the ship? At which point you don't keep it I feel.
    - Following this - are ships intended to serve as resource sinks as well? Will you have to keep making them after a certain amount of excursions/losses? Or are you just expected to repair them indefinitely but you technically keep the ship?
    - If the owner re-enters the sea and summons the ship (assuming they keep it), is there technically 2 entities of the ship? Can they not summon it until the other instance of the ship is removed?

Alot of this hinges on how these mechanics work but hijacking to me can go so many ways. I feel like this would probably be a decent question for the live stream as it's not too clear at the moment.

I personally would like the idea of Hijacking if the person hijacking can control the ship, but perhaps has limited power. I think that if you own the ship you should have access to all of your abilities/bonuses, but if you hijack a ship then the sabotage aspect and potentially stealing a greater ship than your own, plundering etc. should be the rewards but thematically, I feel that the captain should be expected to be the master of their own ship and therefore can maximise its resources.
  • Options
    I will not design the naval pvp interactions over hijacks until I have some concept of naval combat to reference in Ashes of Creation.

Once I know what the parameters are I can create a suitable pvp framework.

It will act like a land caravan though:
    100% resource transfer.
    Cost of caravan replaced on loss.
    Resources lost on loss.

Archeage is an excellent base but improvements are par for the course.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think every ship should work this way but It could be cool if there was a class of ship that was both hyjackable and could be permanently destroyed. I see it working as the ultimate material sink for ships.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a few tricks too. It can be difficult to keep secrets never knowing if it can be kept or should be thrown away lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif