Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Intrepid: Forwarding a suggestion from a streamer

FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
This suggestion is from the streamer Narc; and, it's simple but genius.

Everyone knows that having FOMO cosmetics is not super popular from the consumers point of view. Particularly when the cosmetics are for a game that has not released yet. Intrepid advertises their limited time cosmetics at the beginning of every stream. This does not make a good impression and the newer the viewer, the less good that impression is likely to be.

All you need to do is to change the presentation. The cosmetics are actually content in the world. So, present that content as content rather than cosmetics. Describe the new mount and outfits and other things by talking about how they will exist in game. If the mount is a lizard that lives in the desert, talk about that. Talk about the habitat and how you will encounter the mob in the game. At the end of the section, mention that the creatures and outfits shown are available as cosmetics for the month. Or, however you want to present it.

I think it would also be good to update the front of the webpage as well. Change it from monthly cosmetics to a page that shows some of the new content added that month with the option to purchase that content as cosmetics.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUrt1RKT3Kg
While the whole video is about this topic, the most relevant part begins at 10 minutes

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's only fomo to those who don't or can't buy. It is actually the same business model as any limited edition product. Every time cosmetics were shown in old streams before we asked for 2 monthly events - livestream and cosmetic release, they always explained the cosmetics were also for mobs.

I do not want the old format back at all. We asked for the change for a reason. Furthermore, the devs do still explain that cosmetics are also part of mob creation.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As long as they're unique, never used again I don't have a issue with the curent system. If you like it, buy it. If you don't believe in the game enough to buy some cosmetics for the future, well that's a you thing.

This helps with the cost of development, and I fully support it.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • MycologyMycology Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I wanted to share this exact video but didn't want to flood the forums, glad I checked first!

Look, I don't mind the FOMO. Bald Man is right, this cosmetic modeling is here to stay - we are much too far gone and the only ones of us that absolutely hate it are the ones that were born before P2W/Cosmetics were even a thought in gaming.

IF ANY DEV SEES THIS COMMENT
    I would really like to highlight what Narc said in this video, instead of showing the cosmetics that you have modeled and created, please start showing what they are used for elsewhere. NPCS, Cities, Loot Pools etc. I love these monthly updates, but I feel like every month I never get to see anything thats actually going on in the world of Verra. Can we please see Caravan system updates? Corruption System Updates? Maybe take a stroll through a new area?

The reason most of my IRL friends haven't supported the game yet is because we haven't seen quite a few of the core systems. Yes, A1 was great and I had a wonderful time but there were lots of features that have been discussed that haven't been seen or updated visually in a very long time.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mmmm. Except...what we get in game won't be exactly the same as the cosmetics, so, there's not much point in talking about what they will be like in game or where they will be found because they want us to discover those details while actually playing the game.

Steven will begin to show system updates when he thinks they are ready.
    Which... might not be before 2023.
    ;)
  • AidanKDAidanKD Member
    i think it's no secret that to the "greater public", the cosmetic store is one of the things that has deterred people away from a positive feeling about the game for now. Fact of the matter is you can't please everyone, but if the team will acknowledge the benefits of positive publicity (with-holding combat updates etc. until it's majorly progressed as it will serve as a huge marketing point) - then why wouldn't it be a good idea to minimise the weak points which play against the positive publicity of the game?

They are supposed to represent "factions" in the game or NPCs, so I support the idea of presenting it differently in a bid to redirect the focus of these cosmetics towards "world building" and "lore" - less so the cosmetic packs.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    The monthly cosmetics all come with a bit of descriptive "lore".
    NPCs in the game will mix and match individual pieces of the monthly costumes.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited May 2022
    Otr wrote: »
    I don't know much about the game. Seems interesting for me but for now it seems like a closed Early Access, being developed from kickstarter and supporter's money.
    If it fails, developers loose nothing.
    @Otr Steven (lead director and the "main guy") has already invested over $40 mil of his own money. He'll lose quite a lot if this game fails. So I'd suggest you try to learn more about the game, especially if you "wanted to preorder to support" it.
  • DakHakDakHak Member
    I have absolutely no problem with paid for cosmetics. As long as there are equally cool ones available from hard work in the game.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Otr They continue to avoid clarifying their cosmetics policy. I would personally recommend holding off on buying the pack until a date for Alpha 2 is announced or untill they clear up exactly what the cosmetics limitations are.

But if you don't care about cosmetics, just look out for that A2 date. They repeatedly say they don't need anyone's money so there is no need to buy sooner than that announcement.

Or do before any of those things have been decided. It isnt my money and your free to support however you think is best. Just my friendly opinion.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦