Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Hopes and Expectations

Hello! I thought I'd drop a note detailing what I hope to be able to do with my character when the game goes live, because I'm someone who likes to engage in all the core activities of an MMO. I thought I'd make a short numbered list to express what I'm looking for:

1 - The ability to adjust my character's 'loadout' based on the activity I'm engaging in at the time (PvE vs PvP, Caravan guarding vs quasi-solo vs group).
2 - Being able to competently gather for my chosen profession. I'm happy to rely on an interconnected player economy but I do think the baseline materials of the profession (for example, herbs or meat for potions or food) should be able to be gathered by me in the world. I don't mind certain recipes needing components from other crafters, but the idea of not being able to gather top stuff unless I do ONLY gathering (which is boring without the using it part) does not feel great. Maybe this won't be as big an issue if there's little friction in ease of player economy pipeline?
3 - Estate/shop ownership upkeep that isn't completely uprooted if I have to take a month or two off from time to time (within reason, don't want to also make it easy for abandoned blight to ruin towns and cities). A nice degree of design and customization within the player housing/shop building, and functionality like NPC vendors when I'm offline.
4 - A fun RP toolkit that makes emoting and word bubbles smooth to use.
5 - I'm perfectly okay with there being only one "deed" per account but would like to be able to share that deed/house with any alts I make, and the ability to swap it to one of them should I realize I'm having way more fun with a different base class than the first one I start out with.

I like to engage in PvE content, PvP, RP and crafting, and don't want to feel like I'm forced into only one or two of those things based on character abilities. Some or most of these may already be good to go, I've tried to keep up with the game's updates and design philosophy. I certainly prefer opt-in for PvP typically too, and think that's more sustainable (very sad about Crowfall's population cratering in light of that), but am okay with the 'best' stuff being linked to the risk v. reward metric.

Cheers,
-Griffin

Comments

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited May 2022
    If you haven't checked out the Ashes Wiki yet, @Griffin, have a read when you have some downtime. Most of your concerns should be alleviated ... especially loadouts and RP.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki
    Griffin wrote: »
    I certainly prefer opt-in for PvP typically too, and think that's more sustainable (very sad about Crowfall's population cratering in light of that) ...

Opt-in PvP was one of the major decisions that contributed to New World's demise. It doesn't sound like Steven and the Intrepid Team aren't interested in doing opt-in anyway, though.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In Ashes, your loadout should not need to change PvE v PvP. Probably not due to group v solo, either.
    I expect changing loadouts to not be instantaneous becase Steven wants us to be conscientious of what our choices are, but... I don't think changing your gear will be as restricted as changing your augments.
  • Options
    GriffinGriffin Member
    Appreciate the links, was just checking out the node options and glad to see that freeholds can be outside the city proper, for instance. I guess as long as there are some safe areas where there is no PvP (city markets and RP social spots for instance, I do think I remember hearing something about having those and then venturing out into the open world further being where the PvP takes place outside of node battles/sieges) then that should be fine, it certainly keeps the thrill/danger element in play!
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Appreciate the links, was just checking out the node options and glad to see that freeholds can be outside the city proper, for instance. I guess as long as there are some safe areas where there is no PvP (city markets and RP social spots for instance, I do think I remember hearing something about having those and then venturing out into the open world further being where the PvP takes place outside of node battles/sieges) then that should be fine, it certainly keeps the thrill/danger element in play!
    No, the only safe space is your freehold and your stall. Every other place is a pvp-enabled zone
  • Options
    GriffinGriffin Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    In Ashes, your loadout should not need to change PvE v PvP. Probably not due to group v solo, either.
    I expect changing loadouts to not be instantaneous becase Steven wants us to be conscientious of what our choices are, but... I don't think changing your gear will be as restricted as changing your augments.

Well I don't need instant loadout, but like going back to a city hub, let's say my current group needs me to focus more on CC than damage, for instance...
  • Options
    Even augments are available to change at Village Stage or higher, so, yes... you could return to a Village to swap Active Skills, for sure.
  • Options
    GriffinGriffin Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    No, the only safe space is your freehold and your stall. Every other place is a pvp-enabled zone

That must have changed then from something I remember him saying during a stream last year. Seems like there should be some sanctuary zones, it's not exactly useful to have windows open browsing an auction house listing in town and getting ganked by a bored rogue, for instance. That's not exactly what I'd call useful gameplay...
  • Options
    We will have to test it, but...
    Seems as though it will be exceedingly rare to be attacked at an Auction House.
    And, it may be that the vast majority of people prefer to trade at Player Stalls.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    That must have changed then from something I remember him saying during a stream last year. Seems like there should be some sanctuary zones, it's not exactly useful to have windows open browsing an auction house listing in town and getting ganked by a bored rogue, for instance. That's not exactly what I'd call useful gameplay...
    Pretty sure this hasn't changed in years (if not from the start). Wiki might not have some info, but I doubt this too. But the main thing, no one will gank you in a city. A flagged person is a free kill to anyone around them. A PKer is an even more of a freebie. And on top of that, PKers will get attacked by city guards.

But on the off chance that someone hates someone else so much that they don't care about the consequences - they can kill another person.
  • Options
    GriffinGriffin Member
    Okay, so the overall design incentivizes/de-incentivizes behavior, not too shabby. If I read that right, though, say people are RPing in a tavern... unless that tavern's parent node has just been successfully sieged, since it's considered a freehold, it is pvp free... so no disruptive elements for RP events like that, because node sieges will let them know attacks are possible rather than being blindsided.

I just read up on the Bounty Hunter system too and am getting warm memories of my SWG days too :).
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited May 2022
    Okay, so the overall design incentivizes/de-incentivizes behavior, not too shabby. If I read that right, though, say people are RPing in a tavern... unless that tavern's parent node has just been successfully sieged, since it's considered a freehold, it is pvp free... so no disruptive elements for RP events like that, because node sieges will let them know attacks are possible rather than being blindsided.
    If it's a city-based tavern (I think there'll be some of those), I think it should be a pvp zone. If it's a player-controlled tavern in their own freehold - yes, that's a pvp-free zone.