Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animal/mob behavior in mmo’s

There is a issue that is bothering me a lot in mmo's and hope to see in ashes somewhat improved upon.

Let me first point out my issue, that is with how mobs are just standing there grouped like some mindless drones.
That it makes no sense to have certain animals with a absurd amount of them so close together.
That there are no differences between genders/age exept visual looks

I see this problem alot with animals, plantoids and insects that they just roam around and are there in a group and thats that.
Knowing that animals, insects, ..... behave totally different in groups, alone, other genders or in beneficial relations with other races.
If they handel this correctly or they could make questing, landscapes and immersion a lot more interesting.

I would like to see more life in mobs.
And hear from you guys suggestions or solutions to this issue/problem.

Comments

• Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    The idea is very complex in a massive multiplayer setting when it comes to mob behaviour.

You run into a pack of deer, they run directly away from you...into a pack of people, what do they do now? they circle around, bump into 1 low adventurer "ah but the AI is programmed so that one lone adventurer that's not attacking they run through".

For me, does this a deal breaker when weighing up if an mmorpg is worth playing....not at all but I would certainly welcome it, only if they had the luxury of time/money and if it doesn't diverge from other concepts that excites player v player interaction, I'd prefer to focus on the multiplayer aspect the most.
    Ofc if it's cool to multiplayer vs animals, such as performing proper hunting and tracking, it would be great to incorperate real AI and movement from animals, there needs to be a reason for the effort.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    Innovative AI behavior is not a dev goal for Ashes.
  • Options
    I do believe wilds mobs should not "stay in place" at all, that would make the game feel a little bit too gamey, they should have a fixed spawn location, but also being able to move around randomly and maybe even move in packs from time to time.