Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

RTS and Combat

Sort of a complicated aspect of combat, combining RTS and the AoC hybrid system - where a combination of tab/targeting and action/targeting is utilized, we would want to look at the effects of this system when thousands of players are on the server at once, especially during raids or boss battles. Will UE5 be powerful enough to handle said scenario(s), and if so, how much strategy can be taken into account by the players that will make each instance better than the New World combat system (I use the NW example loosely because it is one of the newer "prototype" games with large raids and PvP battles but not the only one).

In my personal opinion, tab/target turn-based combat offers a wide yet simple strategic system that is based on offense/defense, and numbers. For example, when one party encounters fire elementals, they would use ice magic/items/weapons. The greater the enchantment on said equipment the greater the chance of survival. In action-targeting, things are moving constantly, and you target the foe with a "lock-on" then use skills after equipping all arms and armor before-hand to destroy the opponent, with defense in the form of rolls, blocks, and/or parries.

Now this is where the complication(s) sets in. Combine the above with a plethora of players; talking, moving, rping (emoting), and fighting at one time. Will there be a feasible means of gameplay that is both unique and expected of UE5 that is groundbreaking and immersive? At this stage it is too early to delve into, but as the devs said, "combat is still in the works and will be featured in a future stream". So now all we can do is predict and wait (and hope), that it will be something grand and spectacular. But I, for one, foresee this as one of the main systems that will pose a challenge for Intrepid when dealing with the dreaded feature of combat and all its facets for this MMO.