Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question: Farming/Bossing During Seasonal Transitions

PurdilicousPurdilicous Member
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
How will weather, during seasonal transitions, effect total crop production? Is the yield dependent on the season you planted or the season you harvest them on? I'd assume we don't know as of now?

On a very similar note, how does seasonal transitions affect a mob you are fighting? I'm not sure if certain mobs like the dragon posted in the "Weather System" trailer have certain attacks based on the season (like winter dragons have ice attacks) , but if they do change dependent on the weather; what would happen if you are fighting the dragon during a seasonal transition? Would the "fall type dragon" switch to a "winter" variant mid fight?

I'm sure there could be other issues with the transitional phases of gatherables and mobs, but these are the first two that I could think of.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Season transitions take longer than one fight.
    Expect mob changes to occur via spawners.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    What they showed about the transitions i'd be surprised if they didn't let the transition be throughout a whole day - like in the morning you still have everything summer green and throughout 12 hours everything gradually changes to autumn colors

which could very well apply to all mobs as well - if you'd fight a boss and wipe to it whole day you could see gradual changes to him as well

It would be such a wasted opportunity to have everything swap like you snapped fingers
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    They did mention, in the most recent showcase, that it would take a few hours for the weather to transition. I'd assume that the mob would not transition during a fight, but I was curious if it did. Obviously, I know that one particular fight would not equal the length of weather transition, but I'm more curious about what would happen during a fight that was during the tail-end of a transition. Would the mob transition in response to the environmental change (during combat, like shown in the video) or would it maintain the attributes associated with its spawn? I would doubt it would really matter, other than the fact the mobs abilities may change, but what about rewards? Would a reward for killing a summer based dragon be different than a winter one? Would crops planted during summer diminish their total yield if harvested during winter? These aren't the most important questions, but something to flesh out if it could cause a protentional issue in the future?
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The most obvious and simplest way to code it would be to not change the boss, but still have their abilities be affected by the environment (just as players abilities are): The Ice Dragon will stay an Ice Dragon, but as the snow melts for Spring, their Ice attacks will do less damage, and their "Freeze" effects will not linger as long. The result of this would be that you still defeated an Ice Dragon (just an Ice Dragon at the very edge of it's natural habitat), and would still be rewarded for that.

They might still do something else, but this method is the easiest to code, the easiest to explain, the easiest to reason about, and the least effort overall. (And personally? just for me? I don't like the idea of an Ice Dragon that can just "become" a Fire Dragon cause the weather warmed up. The "ice" is a fundamental part of Ice Dragons, to me.)
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    Again an individual mob will not transition during a fight. Rather, spawners will transition along with seasonal transitions.