Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Taverns and PvP

DrunkninjaDrunkninja Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Will taverns be pvp free zones? If so, will corrupted players not be able to enter them?

What’s your thoughts on Taverns being havens for the wary traveller?

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    Taverns will be within player freeholds and those are pvp-free zones. And I'd hope Intrepid gives us an ability to throw people out of our freeholds so you could ban PKers from your establishment. Dunno about node-based taverns though.
  • PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be cool if you could hire some elite guards in your taven to keep the peace. If they want to fight take it outside and meet at the banner!
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    Taverns will be within player freeholds and those are pvp-free zones. And I'd hope Intrepid gives us an ability to throw people out of our freeholds so you could ban PKers from your establishment. Dunno about node-based taverns though.
    On the flip side one could have their tavern be a corrupted player safe haven. Possibly creating a "bad part of town" if you will.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Would be cool if you could hire some elite guards in your taven to keep the peace. If they want to fight take it outside and meet at the banner!

Wait so are they PvP-free or not? PvP free would mean no PvP, as it's free from it. If so, no elite guard or kicking people out necessary.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sol Raven wrote: »

Wait so are they PvP-free or not? PvP free would mean no PvP, as it's free from it. If so, no elite guard or kicking people out necessary.

The first poster you quoted was discussing facts in relation to how we understand Intrepids current design.

The second post you quoted was discussing something they thought would be cool, but is not a part of what we know of the current game design.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Sol Raven wrote: »

The first poster you quoted was discussing facts in relation to how we understand Intrepids current design.

The second post you quoted was discussing something they thought would be cool, but is not a part of what we know of the current game design.

Ahhh, that makes more sense now. Was about to say, if you ban known PKers from taverns I guess we wouldn't be drinking together any time soon lol. On the other hand, if guards are allowed I'd be more than willing to help with RP player events and keep watch.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022
    Would be fun if there was a "tavern brawl" mini game. Throwing chairs and stuff in a goofy sort of duel that doesn't end in death. Each watering hole could have their local tough guy. Maybe the winner gets mentioned in some throw away lines by tavern npcs for the next few days. Obviously a goofy suggestion but might be fun
  • KovrmKovrm Member
    I want a tavern with an arena where duelists can be bet on. Have a prize pool and what not
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • LutoLuto Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm all for Tavern brawls, or some sort of Tavern pvp that can be switched on or off as an option. What good is a tavern if you can't have the occasional bar fight? The option to turn off the pvp is really important as well so that we can still use the tavern as a safe haven for weary travelers.
    Yeah I was thinking it of more of a silly mini game than something under pvp. Like a 3 or 4 move hotbar.
    Throw punch
    Toss mug
    Toss chair
    Vomit
    Or something like that.
    Hailee wrote: »
    Vomit

Need a vomit judging panel during the fight.

10/10 for distance. But I'm giving it a 4/10 for the smell. And 0 for the contents. Dear God is that corn?

I like where this is going. Maybe to even have the encounter initiate you are required to have had a certain amount of beverages and food first. Depending on what you ate and drank determines the power and strength of your vomit ability
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited May 2022
    We haven't stated whether taverns within nodes will be safe zones. Assuming they're not, then in theory PvP could happen within them. However, PvP cannot happen in Freeholds (minus certain exceptions).

Aside from that, there are some neat ideas in this thread! Keep it up ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • DrunkninjaDrunkninja Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    We haven't stated whether taverns within nodes will be safe zones. Assuming they're not, then in theory PvP could happen within them. However, PvP cannot happen in Freeholds (minus certain exceptions).

Thank you for the info!!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Vaknar
    Well - it has been stated that Freeholds that are Taverns are safe zones.
    NPC Taverns that are created as part of Node progression probably won't be safe zones.
  • KrystalKittenKrystalKitten Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think Taverns/Freeholds/Inns should be safe zones however I think if someone is abusive/loitering to avoid a fight they started/ ect they can be kicked out of the Tavern/Freehold/Inn by the owner or management of said place
  • CawwCaww Member
    Taverns should allow PvP only after both players (or more) have consumed 10 or more alcoholic drinks which will impair their combat skills and do not have any corruption penalties since it would just be silly fun (including watching).
  • Taverns should allow PvP only after both players (or more) have consumed 10 or more alcoholic drinks which will impair their combat skills and do not have any corruption penalties since it would just be silly fun (including watching).

I actually love that idea lol
  • SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be nice to get a pvp mud wrestling area within the tavern for event possibilities.
  • NuubNuub Member
    Would be fun if there was a "tavern brawl" mini game. Throwing chairs and stuff in a goofy sort of duel that doesn't end in death. Each watering hole could have their local tough guy. Maybe the winner gets mentioned in some throw away lines by tavern npcs for the next few days. Obviously a goofy suggestion but might be fun

I think this is a great idea!! and I would like to suggest that the brawl be drunken, screen blur, laggy controls, or something like that.
  • Can players get drunk in the tavern?
    If yes, they should be able to PvP... with de-buffs. Except dwarfs.
  • Vaknar wrote: »

Can you clarify what happens in a Freehold Tavern?

"Tavern security
    It is unlikely that there will be mechanisms to kick or ban people from player-owned taverns.[33]

There are plenty of mechanics for you to exercise your dislike of another player especially through PvP and we don't want to hard code in divisive systems, such as either excluding movement of a player character into a certain area, such as your Tavern; or banning somebody through that method.[33] – Steven Sharif
    "

If we can't PvP inside a Freehold, and we're not getting Kick/Ban functions because of PvP, which will work here?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • @daveywavey maybe tavern owners could mark players for over-costed products or reduced benefits from quests?

I think I agree with you though... clearly owning a tavern will have many benefits, but those benefits also transfer to patrons by virtue of having a place for them to go, and it would make sense not to allow a rival guild to post up in your tavern and yoink all the quests or yoink all of the shop contents.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Vaknar wrote: »

Can you clarify what happens in a Freehold Tavern?

"Tavern security
    It is unlikely that there will be mechanisms to kick or ban people from player-owned taverns.[33]

There are plenty of mechanics for you to exercise your dislike of another player especially through PvP and we don't want to hard code in divisive systems, such as either excluding movement of a player character into a certain area, such as your Tavern; or banning somebody through that method.[33] – Steven Sharif
    "

If we can't PvP inside a Freehold, and we're not getting Kick/Ban functions because of PvP, which will work here?

We'll do our best to get to this question (and many other Freehold questions) on this month's stream! <3
    community_management.gif