Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Item Safety

I'm intrigued by the reactive, player-controlled vision for this game world. I'm also trepidacious. According to the wiki, buildings, nodes, etc can all be destroyed. I'm curious whether there will be safe options for storing acquired items. Are there invulnerable NPC banks? How do I know everything I've worked in-game for won't be gone if I can't log in for a couple weeks?

Thanks for satisfying the curiosity of a new member!

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2022
    Im 100% sure there will be normal npc banks. Otherwise we are heading for a survival concept and things will start falling appart.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Im 100% sure there will be normal npc banks. Otherwise we are heading for a survival concept and things will start falling appart.

While there are likely to be normal NPC banks, there is no guarantee that you can take an item out from any location other than where you deposited it. Should that bank be destroyed due to the node it belongs to being destroyed, there is potentially a need for a system here in order to prevent the game turning in to a survival game - as you say.

My assumption (and assumptions are all we have to go on right now) is that it will function much like caravans. When destroyed, a portion of the contents will be made available for looting - but the remainder will be mailed back to the original owner.

This would mean that if you have some items and raw materials stored in a bank, or in your freehold, if that building is destroyed, a portion of the raw materials may drop for players to pick up. However, the remainder of the materials, and any items not subject to dropping (which I would assume to use the same rules player death) will simply be mailed back to the player along with their blueprints. A potential alternative to this is that the items that were in storage in your freehold may simply be added to the blueprint, and are thus automatically added to your storage there when you rebuild - though this does not really work for banked items.

With the exception of material loss, this was basically what happened in Archeage if you lost a property.

Keep in mind, the above is literally all just how I assume it will end up being - it is not how Intrepid have stated it to be.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Whole items (crafted items) are not vulnerable to loss during node sieges.[11]
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ndtjwBxhwtw&t=3899s&ab_channel=AshesofCreation
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    TaipheeTaiphee Member
    edited June 2022
    Sorry to spoil the mood here, but once a node is destroyed all things within that node is lost and the only way you can get them back is if the players that participated in the destruction of the node didn't loot everything (i.e. The portion of materials that are loot able as the rest are destroyed along with the node) within the timeframe and you get the loots before anyone else and survive.... So yeah, that makes it important even for casual players not to miss out on node sieges. And sieges don't happen overnight and even the declaration of a node siege is impossible to do unnoticed so there would be lots of warning for players if their node is being targeted and lots of time to prepare for a siege
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    Taiphee wrote: »
    Sorry to spoil the mood here, but once a node is destroyed all things within that node is lost

I dont believe this is true. Finished items never end up for grabs i believe... you can never lose a sword or completed item through lose of life or home i believe.

But yes, when a node is destroyed all crafting components and gatherables get looted by the winning seigers
  • Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sorry to spoil the mood here
    Such confidence in being right yet wrong. You'll fit in here well.
  • Options
    What I'm hearing is that it will be important to convert highly valuable crafting components into finished items, sell them for money, or keep them on my character when taking time away from the game. Leaving them anywhere else could result in their loss. Is that right?
  • Options
    Correct, any and all crafting components, are what seem to be at risk with where things stand at the moment. I personally think this may change along the way, but at the moment crafting components are the only thing at risk. And negative exp on death
  • Options
    Cat Quiver wrote: »
    Sorry to spoil the mood here
    Such confidence in being right yet wrong. You'll fit in here well.

Sorry, I don't understand your statement
  • Options
    Sorry to spoil the mood here, but once a node is destroyed all things within that node is lost

I dont believe this is true. Finished items never end up for grabs i believe... you can never lose a sword or completed item through lose of life or home i believe.

Gears aren't up for grabs if you're green or purple and you get killed, but if you're red you can and when a node is destroyed they can as well, same for freeholds when a node is destroyed... If it's destroyed
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Gears aren't up for grabs if you're green or purple and you get killed, but if you're red you can and when a node is destroyed they can as well, same for freeholds when a node is destroyed... If it's destroyed

The wiki says only gatherables and processed goods: Node Destruction

Do you have a sources? This is one of those things i could see them flipping on so you could be right, I just can't recall if they have said this.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Crafted items carried on your person can be destroyed at high enough levels of corruption. Node destruction from a successful siege attack does not destroy crafted items. Scroll up where I linked the wiki quote and video link where they say that.
  • Options
    Completed gear can only be looted from your corpse when your character's corruption score is high enough from killing non-combatants.

The point of node sieges isn't to destroy everything that everyone has earned, that would make people rage quit. There IS however an amount of loss in the form of base resources when a player is killed or a node is destroyed.

For the node, this might result in a massive increase in caravans trying to sell their goods outside the node at reduced prices, just to ensure that they don't lose their investments entirely. Likewise, that means an uptick in banditry in the area, organized or not.
  • Options
    I don't know if I like how only completed works are safe from banditry. Not only does it not make sense lorewise, but it incentivizes players to store the bulk of their wealth in finished goods rather than resources or gatherables to keep their investments safe. I think item loss should occur based on what storage container the player holds them in. If a player or caravan is transporting resources and gear, they should all be lost at an equal rate. If a node is raided, all items should be eligible for theft at an equal rate. I don't see why gear is so special. Is this somehow meant to prevent people from rage-quitting?
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know if I like how only completed works are safe from banditry. Not only does it not make sense lorewise, but it incentivizes players to store the bulk of their wealth in finished goods rather than resources or gatherables to keep their investments safe. I think item loss should occur based on what storage container the player holds them in. If a player or caravan is transporting resources and gear, they should all be lost at an equal rate. If a node is raided, all items should be eligible for theft at an equal rate. I don't see why gear is so special. Is this somehow meant to prevent people from rage-quitting?

Finished items are more of a liability than an investment. You don't lose completed items but they do require materials to be repaired. You can break down a completed item for these mats but you wont get all the mats back. The value of finished items is also decreased because crafters can customize the stats of items. Most people will probably prefer getting their items crafted with the stats they want over buying an already completed item.

Best thing to do is probably to not horde and sell your resources.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We should have full loot and permadeath, too.
  • Options
    @Dygz Permadeath actually solves griefing. No one can repeatedly kill you
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I don't see why gear is so special.

Imagine if you will.... the fact that you can only store items in your home, and home node banks.... now imagine someone seiging the only place you can store items..... so now you only have the gear on your back... now immagine the army that just burned down your house is ransaking every player they come across in the area. They kill you. The gear on your back breaks. Its unequipable.

How do you plan on grinding your way back into gear without any gear, in order to just play the game again?
  • Options
    I think unique gear, should be lootable. It promotes soft friction, for the very best of the best gear could be won in a battle.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited June 2022
    I don't see why gear is so special.

Imagine if you will.... the fact that you can only store items in your home, and home node banks.... now imagine someone seiging the only place you can store items..... so now you only have the gear on your back... now immagine the army that just burned down your house is ransaking every player they come across in the area. They kill you. The gear on your back breaks. Its unequipable.

How do you plan on grinding your way back into gear without any gear, in order to just play the game again?

For this just make an upgradeable lockbox that can only store 18-30 stacks with a low weight cap. Even if the node or freehold gets raided, the lockbox's contents are safe with a massive cost to its durability. There's no reason to make an entire class of item free from loss. Honestly, when I do ZvZ in albion, the only thing that makes it exciting is the potential to lose items on death. Having safe castle sieges where you never risk your equipment would be a snoozefest where everyone brings their best items all the time, eliminating the need for lower level equipment. I don't know if I'd enjoy that type of content.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Your items are not safe >:)
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

While there are likely to be normal NPC banks, there is no guarantee that you can take an item out from any location other than where you deposited it. Should that bank be destroyed due to the node it belongs to being destroyed, there is potentially a need for a system here in order to prevent the game turning in to a survival game - as you say.

New World had the one zone one storage and it got hit with a lot of backlash.

New World is an example of what not to do in an MMO.

If the game must absolutely have restrictions, then it must have a means to bipass these restrictions through quests or activities. Being restrictive for the sake of being restrictive won't make happy gamers, nor a healthy game
  • Options
    CutieCutie Member
    edited June 2022
    Burnzey wrote: »

New World is an example of what not to do in an MMO.

If the game must absolutely have restrictions, then it must have a means to bipass these restrictions through quests or activities. Being restrictive for the sake of being restrictive won't make happy gamers, nor a healthy game

BDO is perfect example of bypassing accessibility for storage items across cities. Even though BDO has no fast travelling like ashes you were able to pay a fee for a tradewagon to deliver the items from a city to another. The delivery time would depend on the distance. It could take several hours.

Being able to do this when you are online and know a siege will be happening at your node, would be kinda cool.
    p4wwnc7c8c2t.png
    PvP enthusiast
  • Options
    Cutie wrote: »
    Burnzey wrote: »

Being able to do this when you are online and know a siege will be happening at your node, would be kinda cool.

Once a siege is declared, players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within the node.[31][32][33]
    This includes resources and materials that are stored in Warehouses, Chests within player housing, storage containers within guild halls, or within processing buildings on freeholds.[32][34]
    That incentivizes even further the necessity of players to contribute to the defense of a city. It also elevates the need for that city to politically gain allies among other nodes so that they can protect the collective goods of the citizens.[33] – Steven Sharif