Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Allowing the Community to inspire the Art team for the World of Verra!

AidanKDAidanKD Member
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
Hello all! I was pondering about something in particular from the last livestream - and that is that one of the developers would be visiting Wales - which happens to serve as some inspiration for the Riverlands that we saw! Now I just returned from a trip to the English Countryside and happened to take some pictures while I was down. And it got me thinking, devs are literally picking up some snaps on their trips, but why couldn't we provide some scenic pictures in our own backyards (figuratively - or literally maybe??).

I imagine we have quite a wide audience, so while I might contribute some pictures which could suit the Riverlands with vast fields, streams and really something not dissimilar to what we have seen of the Riverlands thus far. But perhaps some of you out there have some nice pictures showing some snowy landscapes, in the country, by the mountains or just in your village. We have people who can represent all corners of the globe.

Maybe some of you live out in a more barren landscape and it might serve as inspiration for the deserts of Verra.

The UK is home to some amazing sights on the cliff sides, and I am certain you would find spectacular views in the Nordic Fjords.

I also am a sucker for anything east-asian inspired and I know you get alot of weather diversity with hot summers, freezing winters, monsoons etc.

The team have done a great job so far and they may be pretty far along, but wouldn't it be great to supplement the work with a little from our own lives. You never know, you might one day see something in the world of Verra that looks a little more familiar than you would expect!

I even tried to record some ambient noise like the birds, the quality is shoddy so I won't upload it, yes they can find bird noises! But I thought it might be something nice to supplement the overall ambience.

Here are a few more snaps of my recent trip in the rough area of Marlborough, England (though I think it's part of a greater area known as "North Wessex Downs AONB"). I am sure I have more I could add later but just want to get the ball rolling! Also sorry my normal front camera is broken, so everything is fisheye! I would love to see some other contributions and see what everyone else has to show off:

n76lv8jzpf6j.jpg
gy0fu0o565i3.jpg
d2ffqcee68jz.jpg
bjiumko9tmqx.jpg
cxuo34k2zd3q.jpg
hcsp5t7d1bg7.jpg
fc03hc8jni1d.jpg
tk3zg9yn9sad.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Also one thing I really love seeing which is why I highlighted it in some of my pictures, is the open fields, and then a "mushroom formation" of trees just in the middle of nowhere! It almost feels like it doesn't belong like it is it's own little habitat within another one.

I never really see anything like this anywhere else but in the English countryside! (cannot speak for the rest of the UK as I have only been to Wales a handful of times and not Scotland/Ireland but assume they could be similar).
  • Options
    Scotland tends to be more dramatic and wild compared to the Welsh countryside, which is known for its rolling hills. Would be cool to see some Isle or Highland influence.
    bagj4d0dvyiw.jpg
    yz9k2sskcdhc.jpg
    gg26ff01t22u.jpg

• Options
    @DaffyDux i agree and those are some stunning views! I am holding out on a trip to Scotland.
  • Options
    @DaffyDux Wow! Those landscapes are something else :o
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    AidanKD wrote: »
    Also one thing I really love seeing which is why I highlighted it in some of my pictures, is the open fields, and then a "mushroom formation" of trees just in the middle of nowhere! It almost feels like it doesn't belong like it is it's own little habitat within another one.

I never really see anything like this anywhere else but in the English countryside! (cannot speak for the rest of the UK as I have only been to Wales a handful of times and not Scotland/Ireland but assume they could be similar).

We have plenty of tree groups like that in the States around farmland (called a copse by the way, though your mushroom metaphor is apt). In the UK they use them for "coppicing," or as quickly renewable wood sources. But I think the universal usage comes from a location for birds of prey to nest to catch field mice and other pests, as well as insects like bee's to create a hive and pollinate the crops. Or just to provide shade on a hot, summer day. Interesting stuff. There's certainly plenty of inspiration to be found for locales in Verra.
  • Options
    AidanKD wrote: »

We have plenty of tree groups like that in the States around farmland (called a copse by the way, though your mushroom metaphor is apt). In the UK they use them for "coppicing," or as quickly renewable wood sources. But I think the universal usage comes from a location for birds of prey to nest to catch field mice and other pests, as well as insects like bee's to create a hive and pollinate the crops. Or just to provide shade on a hot, summer day. Interesting stuff. There's certainly plenty of inspiration to be found for locales in Verra.

I didnt expect to learn so much about this from this thread! Thank you for your insight and its cool to hear it is seen around the world as well!

I would still like to see other people contribute some of their locales :)
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited June 2022
    Seven Colors Mountain , Cusco-Perú
    hHreeYs.jpg
    Natural salt mines of maras - Dating back to the Inca Empire
    FGyeQNQ.jpg
    Sacred valley- Moray
    VZqQCE5.jpg
    Angel falls - Venezuela The highest waterfall in the world
    IybutaM.jpg
    The Huayhuash Mountain Range
    Ju70MMs.jpg
    Machu Picchu
    FBW19RO.jpg
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Love the mountains in the background to alot of these, i think it definitely adds alot of the awe I see in these pictures. I have a few more I will add which I have from trips still... same kind of themes to my old pictures. maybe not as epic as the other ones being posted!

For me, walking along the edge of a cliff facing the ocean, and there being a tight route against the edge to scale across, always with a view of the NEXT cliff face you are walking towards. That's definitely a nice feature of the British countryside i've personally found quite aesthetic. This will be the last of my personal pictures to contribute but I think I will look for something which could suit some of the less represented biomes in this post.

lxy4yroc10vd.jpg
    xtimcra66vrg.jpg
    vwlfyczd99gv.jpg
    9s2aby7atg7s.jpg
    tfovsqs6pced.jpg
    5rffjxzhb32l.jpg
    8b7sxum8a6nx.jpg
    7a5dlx86dxic.jpg
    o9glyxchcjbm.jpg
    eg985rxpvp2x.jpg
    xm6xv6gbe01l.jpg
    hbhjvbzlghsv.jpg
  • Options
    I think we're pretty far in development for the map, but if it's still possible I'd like for Intrepid to take influences from the above suggestions along with the one's below here:

Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls:
    g8xywikli4qz.jpg

Avenue of the Baobabs, Madagascar
    r6m6ojpts9z1.jpg

The Namib desert(unlike we could have such thing due to the weather system, but if possible this) - Angola, Namibia
    11hqns4u1oa3.jpg

Congo River
    1ybdklazoea5.jpg

Rhumsiki Rock
    cwovjblqon9h.jpg

Fontaihas, Cape Verde
    nlzg3w4jt0ap.jpg

Random Savannah
    8wsy02zyoyn9.jpg

• Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    edited June 2022
    I have some inspirational pictures from my "backyard" in north Sweden. It's from mixed places where I've been alot as i grew up.
    Some of them are pictures of details that I think would be nice if they added and some are just landscapes.

Summer
    ffu6lycgikev.jpeg
    xum3eufg3tal.jpeg
    vwdgd17tppi7.jpeg
    zr9tvzfg6jnn.jpeg
    83cwm5f2iq2m.jpeg
    sp38qr7mjb05.jpeg
    7qydunq2fjww.jpeg
    2k0i2x11v5ju.jpeg
    k5xl2iz0li39.jpeg
    bsjgl2cjqvzd.jpeg
    7jqb17qivqlr.jpeg
    lf6f6gnqmj07.jpeg

Winter
    Notice how the snow is glittering in the sun. I hope they think of that little detail.
    I also hope they add areas with real thick snow during the winter seasons.
    pan9d43vrwey.jpeg
    cq7nypak9j9b.jpeg
    ihf2gqo24vki.jpeg
    0zm3zp1sfc0r.jpeg

Åland
    Also added some nice views from when i was visiting Åland, an Island between Finland and Sweden.
    28kufi0b6lvq.jpeg
    zrschc5rbbxa.jpeg
    oohizis6fr8w.jpeg
    bhzxdmja6n5z.jpeg
    77nkmdku6nif.jpeg

Crete
    Just a few pictures from when i was on vacation at Crete in Greece.
    31ugbp82es0v.jpeg
    mjmcbduxd9vq.jpeg
    s87drf2ofq1l.jpeg