Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Character GLOW EFFECTS

Greetings fellow travellers from planet Earth,

My first post on this forum is considering ideas around glowing effects on characters in AOC! Why should I care about something as minuscule as glowing effects you might ask? Let me help enlighten you. It makes you look ✨C O O L✨... while also aiding in differentiating between buffs players have active during battle! I can't help but admire my glowy character in all its glory.

All in all, I stopped seeing the mmo industry implement glowing effects on characters in a meaningful way and thought it would be a cool addition for this game. If you remember the warcraft 3 frozen throne days, then you might know where this is going.
I always loved the fact that many of the skills I would choose from would give different glow effects. I heard that enchantments would provide different effeects on weapons in AOC so thats good.

Examples of glow effects:
Lets say you would pick an active skill that would buff your next spell attack or duration of attacks. Simply making your hands glow red, blue, yellow etc. depending on the spell or class is visually pleasing in my eyes.
Additionally, adding movement speed and healing overtime buff effects. Character orbs, fire shields and so on.

befen60n34tb.png

Another major one is character auras. Lets say you pick a Bard and have the option to pick between 3 different proximity based buffing skills. Being either healing over time, increased dps or increased armor/HP for nearby allies. There would be a different aura displayed below the Bard to showcase which one is active.

dg5hylum1hgt.png

Titles that grant more glow! Yes, very valuable limited titles, being pvp or pve related, mayor of a town or guild leader of a castle, should be displayed on the character. This could be some slight fire or lightning shield around the character. This one is purely for flexing purposes :wink:

32v4ojggg6ja.jpg

These are just the few examples I could think of :smiley:
Each of these examples would be very cool if implemented. Although Im shifting away from the intended medieval aspect of the game and towards fictional territory.
Let me know if I am overexaggerating below lol, I may be just a little too excited about the game 💘

Sincerely,
Yours truly
p4wwnc7c8c2t.png
PvP enthusiast

Comments

• So long as the glow isn't too pronounced I think it would be cool
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    In BDO, when I use a particular buff, my character's hands glow in a way similar to your first picture. In combat, I don't really even notice because there's too much going on visually. If combat ends, the glowing hands just look silly, to me. The effect isn't really overdone or anything either. I think I just don't like the idea, personally, but I don't mind if there's a setting to turn it off.

That said, I'm almost on board with the bard one, as a bard myself. It sounds like a useful indicator, but it seems complicated. Getting the visual design right, with the right amount of subtlety and clarity is probably within the grasp of Ashes' visual team, but what happens when I have multiple songs active? (I fully trust that this game will not be so shallow as to allow only one at a time.) How does the indicator remain clear, without becoming distracting?

For "title auras"... I get that some players really like to feel unique and special, but... I wanna live in a world, ya know? Not a light show. Especially not at night. I'd say "I'll take a setting, though", but that's not usually what the type of player who likes this tends to want...
  • CutieCutie Member
    SongRune wrote: »
    In BDO, when I use a particular buff, my character's hands glow in a way similar to your first picture. In combat, I don't really even notice because there's too much going on visually. If combat ends, the glowing hands just look silly, to me. The effect isn't really overdone or anything either. I think I just don't like the idea, personally, but I don't mind if there's a setting to turn it off.

That said, I'm almost on board with the bard one, as a bard myself. It sounds like a useful indicator, but it seems complicated. Getting the visual design right, with the right amount of subtlety and clarity is probably within the grasp of Ashes' visual team, but what happens when I have multiple songs active? (I fully trust that this game will not be so shallow as to allow only one at a time.) How does the indicator remain clear, without becoming distracting?

For "title auras"... I get that some players really like to feel unique and special, but... I wanna live in a world, ya know? Not a light show. Especially not at night. I'd say "I'll take a setting, though", but that's not usually what the type of player who likes this tends to want...

Good to hear your input!

An on and off setting is actually a very good idea for those who dislike the idea. I must admit that the Bard auras may seem too complicated if multiple were used at once. Then again, I dont know if that is the intended design choice. I believe the design team may find good use of the auras somewhere else too.

In regards to the titles. I agree it shouldn't be a light show. That is why those titles will remain very unique, say only mayors or castle owners would be able to equip them, a maximum of 50 players in one server. I do believe that if everyone would have those titles, then they wouldn't be considered special.

It is interesting to see what the future holds!
    p4wwnc7c8c2t.png
    PvP enthusiast
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be glowy effects. Was confirmed from the beginning. There was even one sold as part of the 5k KS package level of backing.

"Receive the Phoenix's aura - Have your characters emblazoned with the aura of the phoenix effect!"

south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I’m a fan of weapon / item glows. Not a big fan of toons glowing though (unless it’s a temporary buff), it just seems a little too avatar of x-virtue/vice to me.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CutieCutie Member
    There will be glowy effects. Was confirmed from the beginning. There was even one sold as part of the 5k KS package level of backing.

"Receive the Phoenix's aura - Have your characters emblazoned with the aura of the phoenix effect!"

Damn that is badass ahahaha. That is good very good to hear, Im sure Steven will bless us with all kinds of things.

Nothing to be worried about :blush:
    p4wwnc7c8c2t.png
    PvP enthusiast